1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

H. G. Wells Martians invade current Earth

Discussion in 'Outskirts Battledome' started by Mabel Gleeful, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mabel Gleeful Mage

The Martians as they were portrayed in H. G. Wells's original "The War of the Worlds" invade current Earth. The Martians' crippling weakness to Earth's bacteria is removed so that they are as immune to Earth's diseases as humans. Who wins?

Tags:
  2. TTGL Infinity Big Bang Stormer

Even low end Martians have a ton of tech that modern Earth isn't yet capable of (functioning walkers that can travel as fast as an express train or faster, heat rays that melt metal), and each tripod is really just the equivilent of a foot soldier. Plus there's the cylinders which were fired from Mars at thousands of miles a minute and survived this journey and the impact with Earth. And the Martians made their tripods out of these cylinders. High end tripods are town level (scaled off the cylinders durability) and anywhere from subsonic to massively hypersonic (from crossing 100 yards in "a flash").

Also as a bonus note, one of the falling tripods heat ray batteries evaporated a good portion of a river.

3. Mabel Gleeful Mage

Didn't a well-aimed grenade from that time destroy one of those tripods? I distinctly remember that :hitbatman

4. Haro Rush

If so then the tripods are gonna get massively outclassed by modern tech.

Those cylinders are gonna be a pain in the ass to deal with but other then that if it was an all-out WAR OF DA WORLDZ then humanity could pull one over.

5. TTGL Infinity Big Bang Stormer

Got a link? I don't remember that in the original.

Also as another note, tripods are durable enough to destroy bridges by walking through them.

6. tonpa Mafia

Don't the Martian vaporize a tank with a laser beam? That's a town level attack. They would stomp.

7. Mabel Gleeful Mage

Sorry, my memory got fuzzy, it wasn't a grenade but a torpedo ram called the . The battle between it and three tripods is in pp. 176-178 of this version.

8. Venice Well-Known Member

We stomp. The Tripods get one shotted by 1800 era cannons, 18 pounders I think the guns were. They don't scale from the cylinders. And against the HMS "Thunderchild" the ship was able to ram through Tripods and destroyed them.

Their heat rays are strong though, but any modern Tank can one shot them. Not to mention iirc the Martians only had 30 something Tripods plus a flying machine on Earth and they only really took on England. They didn't even spread to Ireland by the time they died. We would be able to deploy our forces far faster than they can.

9. Mabel Gleeful Mage

Wait, found it. It was a shell that hit a Tripod. Knew that I wasn't remembering completely wrong:

"The shell burst clean in the face of the Thing. The hood bulged, flashed, was whirled off in a dozen tattered fragments of red flesh and glittering metal. ‘Hit!’ shouted I, with something between a scream and a cheer. I heard answering shouts from the people in the water about me. I could have leaped out of the water with that momentary exultation. The decapitated colossus reeled like a drunken giant; but it did not fall over. It recovered its balance by a miracle, and, no longer heeding its steps and with the camera that fired the Heat-Ray now rigidly upheld, it reeled swiftly upon Shepperton. The living intelligence, the Martian within the hood, was slain and splashed to the four winds of heaven, and the Thing was now but a mere intricate device of metal whirling to destruction. It drove along in a straight line, incapable of guidance. It struck the tower of Shepperton Church, smashing it down as the impact of a battering ram might have done, swerved aside, blundered on and collapsed with tremendous force into the river out of my sight." (p. 98)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. NostalgiaFan Well-Known Member

The book was made in the 1890s, there were no tanks that existed at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.