1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween (2018)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by MartialHorror, Jun 8, 2018.

1. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

The trailer looks good and I like that Laurie is apparently no longer Michael's sister, as I felt that just took away some of the mystery surrounding the character. I also think it's interesting that the filmmakers (David Gordon Green, Danny McBride) are known more for their work in comedy, so the fact that they're doing horror is at least a bold move on their part. Furthermore, John Carpenter is supposed to be more creatively involved than he was in the majority of the sequels.

The only real issue I have is the title. Do we really just have to call it "Halloween"? There are now THREE DIFFERENT MOVIES in the same franchise with the exact same title...and two different "Halloween 2"'s. I would prefer it if they just called the movie "Halloween Night" or something. It would be different, but in line with the rest of the saga. I'm also wary of these "We're a direct sequel to the original, ignoring the rest of the other sequels" entries, as they often suck worse than the movies they chose to callously ignore. "Texas Chainsaw", "Halloween H20", "Terminator: Genisys". Hate them all. But I'm more optimistic than not.

Now we just need our new "Friday the 13th" movie...

Tags:
  2. Vespy89 Well-Known Member

I'm really pumped for this i really hope we get some good kills in this one.

3. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    I would rather see suspenseful moments/chases than just over the top deaths now a days and Halloween would be an awesome concept to build suspense with. The trailer seems pretty solid and the mask looks amazing however I do feel the actor for Michael doesn't seem as imposing physically as he could be (guy from Rob Zombie's one had about the right type of physique). Given what the trailer shows us it's not hard to imagine the guy talking to Michael near the start won't survive the movie considering after about half way he isn't seen again and also is that Charlie from Supernatural ?

4. Ennoea Red Light

5. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

His physique looks more in line with the original movie, where he was taller than the average person, but not so tall that he stood out. I felt Rob Zombie's Michael was too large. Let Jason have the professional wrestler build.

6. Luck I am here

Brazil
    Catdank Faction:
    The actor's height is 5'10'' or 178 cm.

Kinda short for a homicidal maniac who only uses a big knife to kill people imo

7. FriendofJedi Avenging Hand of Light

Awesome. Hope all that gun action doesn't turn it into a comedy

8. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Isn't Nick Castle still playing Michael? He was Michael in the original film. If he's that short, then the movie will probably find ways of making him appear taller.

9. Luck I am here

Brazil
    Catdank Faction:
    Jamie Lee Curtis is only 8cm shorter than Nick Castle :dead

10. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

But did that keep "Halloween (1978)" from becoming a classic? And would "Halloween (1978)" be considered a classic if audiences didn't find Michael scary?

11. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Trailer toook good so they are ignoring all the se wield for this?

12. Luck I am here

Brazil
    Catdank Faction:
    It was definitly scary for its time, and holds up fairly well by todays standards. Tho, u do have to factor in that back in 1978 Halloween was pretty much the first real slasher so that definitly did have an impact on the way people viewed it.

I feel that knowing Castle is only 178cm and 70 years old puts a damper on the "unstoppable force of nature" aspect. While a director and camera work can remedy this but its gonna be a bit harder to sell me on it.

13. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

If you feel that way about the first film, then you feel about the first film. I still think it's great, primarily because I don't see it as a visceral slasher, but as a spooky chiller that plays into the fear of stalkers and crazy people. I liked how in the first film, Michaels motivations are strange and abstract. He seems to be building a shrine to the sister he murdered using corpses. That alone is more unsettling than a behemoth of a man, because there's no real rhyme or reason to it. "Halloween 2" sort of ruined the mystique by having Laurie be Michael's sister, which clarifies his motivations way too much for my tastes, but this new one is removing that from the story.

A larger looking slasher is, if anything, even more cliched by todays standards and would be less scary to todays audiences. There is a reason why the "Hatchet" movies have almost comedic tones.

Now you are right that his age is a bit of a problem...The height doesn't bother me, just because the original movie had him stepping on stools or stuff like that to appear bigger and I assume the new ones can do the same, but this is more of a character oriented problem than an actor one. Michael is supposed to be in his 60's at this point, so the idea of him being an unstoppable killer is...odd. Yet I'm not that concerned because the original movie seemed to suggest that he was really the boogeyman based on the ending. He might be touched by the supernatural, so I can get over that. Furthermore, the trailer wasn't really presenting him as an unstoppable monster. It was having him prey on people in moments of vulnerability, stalking the characters and doing weird stuff like spilling all of those teeth on the ground. That kind of stuff is creepy (at least to me) regardless of his size or age.

I also see that two people are billed as Michael, so for all we know, Castle might only play Michael without his mask. Or maybe he will just have a few good shots as Michael, while the younger guy does the 'heavy lifting'.

14. Vespy89 Well-Known Member

I think Nick Castle only has a cameo and he does not walk,also the main guy playing Michael is James jude courtney who is 6'3

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Pilaf The Man in the Rain

He is...

#TheShape

16. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    Someones been playing Dead by Daylight

17. Ishmael I'd rather you hadn't seen that.

This looks good. A bit salty about the whole disregard everything past one thing because 2 rocked along with 4, 5 and 6. Only bad ones were resurrection and zombies flicks.

18. Superman Well-Known Member

@MartialHorror I have to disagree. I founds Halloween 2 to b the better movie. I hate that this movie is being disregard. You seem to think it takes the mystique off his motivation. But it is never known why or will ever be known why he wants to kill his sister.

I kind of do not mind skipping out out on 4-6 only because of the whole cult thing. Though I feel they could have just chalked that up to a bunch of whack jobs. I like them, even if they are not as good as 1 and 2.

And H2O should have been the end of it.

19. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I think a lot of it just comes down to what you think about "Halloween 2". I like the movie fine and all, but to me, it's just sort of an above average slasher flick, so I feel no loyalty towards it in regards to its placement in the continuity. But many do think it's on par with the original, so it's not like I am in the majority.

20. Mider T VM Rapist

21. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Yes. The real question is...will she survive this one?

22. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    Yes she will because girl power.

23. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

But can girl power overcome studios desires to phase out the old, bring in the new?

24. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

25. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

26. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying about studios washing away the old..but that doesn't equate to women...they're even trying to bring Sarah Connor back! :laugh

She's untouchable to me.

27. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

The franchise is in that awkward reboot period, where they're probably not planning on making a direct sequel to this...and if they do, I doubt Jamie Lee Curtis will return. She really doesn't care that much about the franchise, or even the genre.

While you're kind of right that women are usually safer than men, I would argue that in the horror genre, the ladies are more in danger of getting killed off in the sequels. As I've said, they've done this with Jamie Lee Curtis twice.

lol, wouldn't it be funny if it turned out all of the other sequels were actually canon and Laurie Strode has the same power to come back from the dead as Michael?

Edit: I do find myself wondering why they feel the need to bring Sarah Connor back. I get that Cameron is scrubbing out the sequels he had no involvement with, but was she ever really a selling point in this franchise? Her story was finished. I personally think her inclusion is just a tie to the past that will only serve as a distraction for the movie. But hopefully I'm wrong. We need a good Terminator movie.

28. Sennin of Hardwork Tales to Astonish Moderator

Peru
  29. James Bond Well-Known Member

Sweden
    Is that a collectable? ^^ Mask looks phenomenal not sold on the jump suit might look better in the dark.

30. Former Obd Lurker. Well-Known Member