1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Hardcore Leveling Warrior

Discussion in 'Akihabara Library' started by Kamina., Nov 27, 2018.

1. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Pretty nice Webtoon. It seems closer to the MC being within the game's world rather than a series about some nerd playing a game. The world its set in is pretty well done & has potential for a lot of different encounter although the focus of the series tends to be on other players. Has quite a few nice fights. The MC Hardcore Leveling Warrior is a legend.

Its nothing unbelievably special but if you're looking for something to read it's not too bad of a choice.

Tags:
  2. HumanRage ShonenTard

Love this one. HLW is suprisingly good as an MC. Dark improves through the story. Sora is kinda there not doing very much but being fine :datass. Side characters are decent too.

4. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

In all honesty I've been lowering my opinion on Dark. He's a pretty average character but its incredibly annoying how he gets so many power ups just handed to him. That was one of the reasons I ended up dropping ToG.

Sora is a great character, its a shame the author doesn't give her much focus. But there is still a lot of story to go so we'll see.

The entire Yopi Land crew made my shitlist after 113, astounding how many times they've been helped by this trio and they want to act like this. I hope HLW executes Yopi's NPCs in front of him after he wins the tournament.

5. Morglay .

I figure they're just giving HLW the respect he deserves. If he does become their enemy they want him to be as in the dark on their fighting techniques as possible. True it seems harsh but you gotta admit the man is a terror to have as an opponent.

6. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

I know they aren't really wrong it just pissed me off the way they spoke to him. The idiot with the baseball bat trying to act as if HLW's party somehow is responsible for their troubles really annoyed me.

Like they literally saved the Zombie lady, she'd be dead without them and he's gonna act like that. I hope he gets handed a huge L next chapter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Jouninja Well-Known Member

Finally, somebody posted about this awesome series. The fighting is dynamic is really good and the characters are interesting as eff. PLUS, the game world is the closest thing I've seen in any media to the sort of game I'm trying to make in the future(since I'm a game designer).

For example, the varied and innumerable "classes", the flexible stat system, the varied weapon types and extreme levels of customization, plus the mixture of future and past designs, like knights, mages, and gunslingers existing within the same game.

There are some differences, like personal attributes, as incredible of a game mechanic as it is, would be really hard to balance(I'm trying to make the competitive side of the game be the main focus). I actually did make that sort of story revolving around progaming in that sort of game, but I did it in a rush, so the story, art, and writing kinda suffers immensely because of it. Someday, I might remake it with waaayy better art and story. (I really was in no position to do a comic back then: )

But anyway, aside from that, the main character, HCLW or ETHAN is really unique and a breath of fresh air of a protagonist when compared to the goody two shoes savior types that are commonly found in other fantasy/action stories. It is interesting how morally grey he started out and is now leaning towards good, especially with this most recent chapter. Now THAT'S good storytelling. This author really isn't pulling any punches and knows how to raise the stakes properly, as well as create engaging storylines and sequences.

I think my favorite part so far was the whole fighting the field boss monsters part of the round, everything in that entire segment was just genius stuff.

To go into more detail:
    Spoiler:
    How they hyped the power of the monsters with 1 and 2 stars, only for the team to get a 3 star monster right off the bat, then it just kept escalating from there. Just so many awesome moments in that fight, like the part where Pooh Upooh used the dead boss monsters to hold off the Archfiend, or the HCLW vs Archfiend fight, the whole thing with the rewind skill, the use of the holy armory combined with the personal skills of those two guys during the Octonash fight, speaking of Pooh Upooh, I wonder why the author changed the design? It was so unique, but I guess their are story reasons for the change or something, or unless she eventually turns back into the zombie-ish design.

By the way, TAC is just bad@$$ery incarnate and a great rival for HCLW.

8. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Not 100% happy the HLW didn't fully embarrass this dude but he wrecked his bat so ill take it.

It really blows my mind that randoms in this series are so confident they can take him considering the point he managed to climb to before.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  9. Morglay .

The author did say that players are too stat+gear focused and don't factor in attributes/skill enough. You'd think that they would've learned their lesson by now. Apparently not as people keep getting clowned by HLW.

The martial arts dude was talking about him with the right amount of fear when Lime was about to jump in which is something. You're right though - the PoS is getting old.

10. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Was it ever explained why Sora didn't even say anything to HLW after she found out he's being forced to betray Dark? Like it randomly just progressed to the next arc lol

11. Kingdom Come Someone tell me how to put my profile picture

Well yeah she's a bottom bitch. Whatever HLW gotta do she'll support it. :datass

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Gunstarvillain Endless One

This toon needs more exposure. The story is driven home so well I'm literally jealous we in the real world dont have this game to play while we sleep.

Funny how this game always makes me feel how is anyone getting this much sleep period?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Man I just realized the dude Sora stole her kebab from in like chapter 2 is supposed to be based off some legendary chinese warrior who is supposedly on the same tier as fengxian. Im surprised she got away so easily lol.

15. Jouninja Well-Known Member

LOL, I had to look up what bottom b!tch means, I found this description of the meaning:

The one that style daddy can count on to be even when he's at the bottom.
    "I off the rest of them tricks, but , that's my bottom bitch. I know she be there!"
    me honey

Anyways, I can't stress enough how awesome this webtoon is. So many great fights, many awesome and interesting characters, and an unorthodox main character that isn't a re-thread of the old, "tried and true" formula.

16. Fullmetal Moderator

I've been reading a few chapters every other day recently (currently at 65)

I really like it. It's just light reading material, for now. I really like the MC tho.

17. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

That dude is not a random though. He is the number 2 of Yopi.

Although i agree in that people talk mad shit to HLW like he is some noob.

18. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

In comparison to some of the other "strong" people he's a nobody IMO. All the super high ranked people have been given way better introductions or focus on how broken their abilities are.

19. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

I think he is a player but im not sure if it was said outright. Usually they say if its a npc or not so i think the default is they are a player unless stated otherwise.

Fair enough, we never say his personal attribute though. He just swung his bat around and dodged attacks.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Blade legendary space warrorâ„¢

this is my fav webtoon series, easily

21. Gunstarvillain Endless One

Pace is comfortable, characters are quality, art is in that goh lane where it has it's funny toon moments and you never see the serious visually tasty stuff coming.

Amongst all the irl/game world mangas I've read this one seems to balance it all out in a neat way where everything effects everything be it money, alliances, etc.

22. Blade legendary space warrorâ„¢

when he headbutt Rigos through mountains

it had already became part of my fav webtoons :mahnigga

23. Morglay .

Read "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim. Great book. You're welcome.

24. Gunstarvillain Endless One

That goh power creep! Just how surreal hlw interacts with every one is the selling point for me. He's a jerk with goals and is loyal to those he seems worthy. A real ass character imo.

25. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Constance has such a broken ability, lying to yourself to power up. Reminds me of Leez from Kubera.

26. Morglay .

He's gross. Glad Healerbot fucked his face up... I wasn't expecting a Samus deal with her.

27. Kamina. Ruler of the Tower

Did anything ever come of HLW asking his fellow prisoners for their usernames. I thought that would have been a major plot point of them all helping each other out in game.