1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter: Who actually READ the book...

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Luckey, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Luckey Wants his custom title.

I have never read any of the books but have watched the movies.

To those that have read it, what was different?
    To those that only watched the movie, have you read ANY Harry Potter books?

I personally don't read the books specifically because the demographic for the books are ages 9-15. I know that shouldn't stop me if I really wanted to read them, but eh...

Tags:
  2. volpone n_n

i've read the books. and they cut out alot of the parts in the movie, but i didn't really expect them to be exactly the same...each hp movie would have to be like 5 hours long if it was like that XD

3. DesertLily Panties! Glorious panties!

I would suggest you read the books, then you'd definitely understand what's so different.

Basically the books have a LOT more information and events going on than the movies have time to depict. The first and second movies were fairly accurate to the first and second books...the third and fourth cut out a LOT.

4. Kagalli Off-duty Fanart Hunter

I've read all the books... twice actually (save the recent 6th book). I think the books are simply awesome. They aren't restricted on length to tell the story... so really, you get the whole thing. You get a deeper insight to the characters and what they're thinking and stuff.

As we go up in the movie numbers.... the more content they're gonna leave out because of time limitations.

5. sperish so?

I've never heard about Harry Potter until the first movie came out. I skimmed through the first book(?) Went through Prisoner of Azkaban unfinished. Didn't feel like reading the last few chapters...maybe because I kept thinking that Hollywood would finish it for me. I have Potter-text ADD. Unnn. The only young-reader series I actually read are the Darren Shan sagas.

6. DesertLily Panties! Glorious panties!

Yeah, I didn't start reading them till after I saw the first movie. I liked it a lot, so I read the books, thought they were cute, and now I just keep up with them. I've never been obsessive about it, so I'm really not going to get offended by the stuff they cut.

7. ten sa zangetsu Member

I've read all the books so far, and HP4: Goblet of Fire the movie left out/cut off a lot of things. I'm waiting for the next book now..

8. Lexiefaye I'm done. Your move.

fan since '99. read all 6 and audio booked all 6. This movie left out stuff but it was a lot better in that regard than the 3rd movie, which had gapping holes.

Spoiler:
    Main stuff missing: Dursley intro, The actual quidditch world cup, Harry's other "dreams" of the present including a scene with an eagle owl, Rita as a beatle animagi, Winky Crouch senior's house elf and her involvement, Crouch Sr.'s involvement in Crouch Jr.'s escape, Hermione's House elf obsession, Belatrix Lestrange's intro in the pensieve, Dumbledore telling Harry not to blab about the Longbottoms, any explaination what priori incantatum is, Hagrid actually being 1/2 giant, the dementor ending for Crouch Jr. , the scene on the stairs with the maurauders map where we learn a Barty Crouch was in Snape's office and that Moody sees through invisiblity cloaks, Krum's involvement in Crouch Sr.'s discovery or any of Crouch Sr.'s insane ramblings, Dumbledore's look of triumph when Harry returns and says Voldemort can touch him, Dumbledore's casual mention of the room of requirement, Sirius' visit as a dog, what happened to Karkaroff and Snape after Voldemort's return. I bolded the stuff that could become problematic for setting up the later books' plots.

9. Kasumi 霞 Drawing Chalk Outlines

Yeah I read the books... except for the lastest one, and there were quite a lot of things different, they actually changed some things to save time, like things that actually happened a different way but all and all it still had the same outcome.

10. Ah B Member

Books are a definate. They explain things in more detail, instead of a short version - and the movies skip some great parts of the book that should've been included (as it helped explain more).
    Spoiler: Minor Movie//Book Spoiler

For example, the movie didn't even explain the accio spell Harry used to get his broom - it just skipped from Mad-Eye telling him there's a way to the First Task.

11. Kurairu Lords of Insufficient Light

I love the boooks. I've read them all and I find they are a little less...kid-oriented than the first two movies. I'm going to see the movie tomorrow with my older sister, I hop it's not massacred, so much awesome stuff happened in this one!

12. Wing-Zero Whoa!!!

i have read books 1-5 and the movies are different they just leave out some stuff

13. Darth Judicar A#1 Roller Rager

Oh yes...I've read them all. More than once and frequently thoughout the year. They're some of the best books around in my opinion, coming from a complete book nerd. :p They are a completely different stories compared to the films in my view. I always prefer them over the movie because there is simply so much more in them and offrs so much more insight to, well, everything. When you're working with stories of their magnitude, it is difficult to trasnsfer them to the big screen in a reasonable film length.

Even with what we've seen in the films, I do think they try as hard as they can to get them accurate. J.K. Rowling herself wanted that, along with the all-British cast requirement when she agreed to allow production of these books after all. I admit though, even I gripe about some of the changes and cuts they make, but may as well let it go as there's no point in it. I may disapprove of the way they do things but I'll still enjoy the filn for what it is. Besides, there's always the trusty books to go to if you're dissapointed, as that's the ultimate film: in your own imagination.

14. rizahatake Don't touch the seal!

I did. In fact, I perfer the books than the movies. Because the movies always cut some important parts away.

15. Seymourbuts Look at him go

The book explained all the things in detail, whereas the movie... it just sucks in comparison to the book.

The movie skipped so many parts, my friend almost fell asleep in the movie cuz it was just plain boring...

ahhaha... my friend wanted to punch Nevile so badly cuz he looked like a retard.

16. Rinali your retarded little brother

I have read the books 1-6 and seen the movies 1-3

I liked book 1,3 and 4 but the rest was kinda boring...

Can't wait to see the 4th movie

17. Not a Ninja Anti-Ninja

Seriously, read the books. Although I thought that the Potter books have been fairly faithful so far, the 4th one hasn't come out here yet. If you want to see a book that had REALLY major changes and cuts for the movie, read Howl's Moving Castle.

18. The Bryman Formerly known as mfu-842

Bah! who needsbooks when you have movies just kidding :p

i havnt read the books but i have seen the movies there all right i guess :S

19. Dragonzair I'm with Maria Hill!

Desertlily's right.

The third and the fourth movie cut out too much.

I've read the book, and I'd say it's better than the movies. Those who think that the third movie was great, are missing out a lot. I loathed the third movie. It cut out too much info, and just quickened the pace.

The ending sucked real badly as well.

:oh Please read books. XD

The movies were more childish than the books. =O

20. Amatsu Jammin' with whole wheat bread

geez you confused me for ME there for a second...

anyways yeah I've read the books... but I haven't really watched the movies so I can't help you there. Though I hear people loved it.

21. Maes Member

The Harry Potter books are an exceptionally good series. I recommend that you read them. The movies do their best to tell the story they need to (with the exception of the 3rd movie which left out glaring details and basically changed a crucial part of my favorite character.) As for the 4th movie, the pacing of it is excellent, it moves quickly, getting through a lot of story, but it never feels rushed. There are a couple of things that I was a little irritated that they left out, a couple of which are set ups for certain things in the 5th book, things that can't possibly be left out of the next movie. So their exclusion irked me. But as for the movie overall I think it's the best Harry Potter movie yet, and that's saying something as I consider it to be the worst of the 6 books.

Where the 4th movie really shines is in the acting. The "new" Dumbledore has gotten much better though he's still nowhere near as good as Richard Harris (RIP) was. Ralph Finnes, new to the cast, is amazing, he got his character exactly right. The people who play Mad Eye Moody and Rita Skeeter also do excellent jobs. And the main 3 continue to improve and get more and more used to their characters.

So yeah, you should read the books, but the movies are still damn good.

TO Not a Ninja: Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle was never meant to be a book to film translation. Miyazaki took the initial premise of the book and he used that as a starting point, where he went from there was purely him. I for one think that the book and the movie are two completely separate entities and both are very good.

22. Sakashi Water good, Milktea better

movies basically cut almost 70% of the stuff out. It only has the basic outline. Reading the book is definitely better, IMO.

23. Sakura Active Member

ive read the bookS two times each becuz im obsessed. ive watched the movies even more. don't ask.

24. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

Well the books have allot of passages to give the impression that they stay their for a year, that is why the movie seems to go to fast for me. the movie includes the main events tho. The passages cut out are often passages that make you wonder what will happen and make you start thinking why the strange things in the beginning happened, then you get small clues until in the end you understand it all.

25. rimpelcut You know it, I know it.

actually I have read russion books that were written half a century ago and it was about a boy that goes to a magic school. The things happening surpass harry potter by far, probable because it was written for kids that read books more often:p

26. mgrace Guess Who's Back?!?!?!

I have read all the books and I enjoyed them and have seen them develop.... I'm just a big kid

27. Shishou Under this eyepatch is an eye!

The movies suck so much in comparison to the books. Tons of stuff is left out.

28. UnnamedShinobi Hand of Justice

I've read all the books and seen the first two movies. Of what I can tell the books have a much higher standard. The films just feel soo childish, while the books feel a bit more mature, don't really know why though.