1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Pokemon lost it's flair over the years or is it still the same as always?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Bookworm, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Bookworm Well-Known Member

For me it's just not the same as when it first started. Pokémon was fun, new, always upbeat and almost always interesting. After the Orange league though, I found myself not enjoying it as much. Something seemed to be missing, maybe the series has changed or maybe it's that my taste have changed.

Tags:
  2. ShieldsPlus Face drop! I told you not to leave me alone~

• The first time you watch a series, it's actually enjoyable.
    • The second time you watch that same series, it's not as enjoyable since you already know what's going to happen.
    • The premise of each season of Pokemon is for Ash to do the same things over and over, which is basically getting gym badges + Pokemon League, along with a couple of extra side materials added in along the way to make it "feel" sort of different.
    Probably explains the reason why I loved playing Pokemon Colosseum and Gale of Darkness so much because it's completely different from the get gym badges + pokemon league formula.

3. White Wolf Super Moderator

Well the anime is basically just the same arc played over and over again, with worse and worse animation and character designs for Ash/crew to try and keep them "young". You can only watch the MC lose so many times before you realize how much of a waste of time it is.

> End of series !Pikachu defeats lv90 Charizard
    > Beginning of next series !Pikachu loses to lv3 Pidgey
    Logical.

> Encounters legend pokemon after legend pokemon
    > Saves the world from <team bad guy x>
    > Loses by 3% HP to become the league champion cos of plot
    Logical.

And so on, so yeah it has lost its flair, because for one the audience that watched it originally is much older and if they still care to follow the series they want to see Ash win, to see him get somewhere, not just keep losing over and over again. Second it's geared more towards kids than anything, which for older viewers it's okay sometimes, but more often than not it just won't connect the same way as when you watched it when you were... also a kid. And last but not least, it's about the $.

4. Millón Vasto Homo Novus

Pokemon hasnt changed and thats why it loses its flair. We change but ash doesnt.

He progresses through each season. He becomes really really good. And then becomes fodder again.

And its not like pokemon levels arent canon in that universe. Heck many people wonder how the fuck ash's pickachu becomes shit again when he enters a new region.

Heck ash only now turns 11 depending on when u started watching pokemon we could be in our tirties.

The show isnt meant for us adults.

The games kinda are if u dive deep enough. But even then at its surface it appeals to kids first.

5. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

The Pokemon anime doesn't tell a story. It's fanservice.

6. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

It was never as good as the Adventures Manga. But I think the Sun and Moon semi-reboot is actually a big improvement. Visually there's a lot more interesting stuff going on and the plots aren't as formulaic, with Team Rocket not even showing up when they're not needed for a specific episode.

7. Fullmetal Moderator

i haven't been able to enjoy Pokemon in forever.

the Adventures manga is enjoyable compared to the anime series for me.

8. Alita54 Alita>You

From the standpoint of the anime I enjoyed the first two generations. I liked gen 3 but not as much as first two. I did not like gen 4 almost at all. Gen 5 was mediocre but still better than gen 4. I'm currently watching gen 6 which is a huge improvement over gen 4 and 5 imo. I haven't watched sun and moon yet but the video games for it were really good imo. Particularly ultra sun and ultra moon.

9. Yamato ANBU- Sadist

Argentina
    I still feel it's still as fun and still has most of its flair. Though, but I agree there's a different kind of feel to it. More fanservice I guess, as Ye put it.