1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Akihabara TV channel is hosting a banner contest in Contest Central. Submit an entry for the chance to receive art points here!

Deadline is July 7th 10 PM UTC
    Dismiss Notice

Has the backlash against Star Wars vindicated the prequels?

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by MartialHorror, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Inspired by another debate, I thought I would start a topic on whether or not the Star Wars prequels have been redeemed in the wake of the current backlash against the franchise. I was a kid when "The Phantom Menace" came out and while I remember thinking it was fine at the time, I just went back to playing with the OT Star Wars toys and watching those movies, the first sign that I didn't really like it that much, even if I was too young to realize it. But sometime during the early to mid 2000's, everyone seemingly turned on these movies. To say a kind thing about them would get you mocked in some way.

I now couldn't find anyone who liked them...or at least admitted to liking them...and I've been recently told that I'm projecting my own disdain towards them onto the fanbase. I want to know if this is true, as I didn't really start hating these movies until around 2015- where I revisited them all to prepare for the release of "The Force Awakens". I nevertheless can't believe that these films received anything but scorn from the majority of viewers over the years, as George Lucas admitted to more-or-less retiring over the prequel hate, a documentary was made detailing the conflict between Lucas and his fans and seemingly every online review I have seen in the past 5-10 years badmouths them all.

Yet since the rise of Disney Wars, I've noticed a lot more people speaking in defense of the prequels, so I am curious. Am I really projecting something and the backlash was never really that intense, even though the kid who played Anakin was bullied so much for TPM that he renounced the franchise? Is this one of those cases where it's not so much that people like the prequels, they just prefer them over the sequels or at the absolute least, they favor Lucas over Kennedy? Or has the backlash leveled at the sequels encouraged the fans to come out of the shadows and no longer feel ostracized? Or is this an age thing? Maybe younger fans grew up with the prequels, so nostalgia is tied into it?

Some movies get improved reputations because what follows is worse, such as "Jaws 2" or "Halloween 2". Are viewers simply re-evaluating them?

In short, are the prequels now considered good? Or have they always been reasonably well liked? If you like them or dislike them, how would you compare them to the new movies?

Tags:
  2. Shiba D. Inu Will of the D.oge

Portugal, Germany
    no lol

TPM didnt get less shitty in 2018

its the worst SW movie and one of the worst ~high-profile AAA Hollywood major releases I've ever seen

3. Ghost_of_Gashir BOAT GOAT BOAT

Russia, Colombia
    Revenge of the Sith is the third best movie in the entire series.

4. Shiba D. Inu Will of the D.oge

Portugal, Germany
    very true, but that was also true right after it came out

actually RotS even competes with ANH for me :naruramen

5. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

The acting makes that ranking difficult for me. Especially Anakin. also everything feels so fucking plastic.

6. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

I think "The Phantom Menace" was dogshit, but each prequel grew better than the last. "Attack of the Clones" was not good either, but at least contained some good stuff. "Revenge of the Sith" was OK.

I mean, I can at least understand why someone would prefer the prequel trilogy over the sequel trilogy, because Lucas did introduce a lot of new stuff. It has a completely different visual style and even though I never cared too much for those soldier droids or the Federation outfits, at least they're unique? The sequels have only added variations of old classics like Kylo Ren's lightsaber, but has yet to really introduce anything completely new.

Now I consider the prequels to be such catastrophic failures in storytelling that I would still favor the sequels, just because I think they're better made, but Lucas is much more of a visionary than Kennedy and her assortment of directors. So I get why the prequels would be favored over the sequels, but let's not pretend like the backlash didn't alter the course of Star Wars back then.

Which backlash has been more intense? I would say the prequels, but I also have to admit that I can't say that with a lot of conviction. It's hard to compare the two as social media wasn't the same back then. I've yet to see any lives ruined or changed because of the sequels. I've yet to see the backlash become a cultural phenomenon like the prequels did. Internet personalities made their careers out of bashing the prequels, as demand for such was so high at the time. They even made a movie called "Fanboys" where the final punchline was ultimately that "The Phantom Menace" sucks. Granted, this certainly could happen with the sequels too, but we don't know yet.

Now there is one major hole in my argument. As bad as the backlash was, the prequels were still all very financially successful. "Solo: A Star Wars" story is probably going to be the first Star Wars movie to lose money, something that wasn't even on the table with the prequels. So I could be wrong, but I don't think the issue is one sided.

7. Shiba D. Inu Will of the D.oge

Portugal, Germany
    prequels have lower lows and higher highs than sequels

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Shiba D. Inu Will of the D.oge

Portugal, Germany
    RotS is also the most memetic of the SW films

9. Fang Titan

Best movie in the franchise you mean besides TESB. ANH comes in at second.

10. Atlas .

Germany
    I've grown more appreciative of the prequels after seeing how terrible the sequels are. The prequels brought us so much awesome content in the form of characters, vehicles, weapons, locations, video games, an awesome TV show, and the god tier r/prequelmemes subreddit. The sequels are just bland, boring, and terrible.

11. Ghost_of_Gashir BOAT GOAT BOAT

Russia, Colombia
    Sequels suffer from a very big lack of creativity. Which is about par for the course for JJ Abrams, as the Star Trek remakes have shown.

Prequels expanded the world. Sequels have widdled the resistance down to less than 20 people and destroyed five planets worth of allies.

12. Fang Titan

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

I'm not sure how the collective re-evaluation of the prequels is going in light of the recent backlash to the Disney stuff. But, I feel that the same criticism levied against them in the past still applies to them today. And that those criticisms really shouldn't be diminished just because the new stuff may warrant even a harsher wave of criticism.

Is Nick Anderson's chokejob of missing 4 free throws in a row late in an NBA Finals game from over 20 years ago suddenly made into a retroactively well-regarded winning performance just because JR Smith had a brainfart in the final seconds of a Finals game last night? No it doesn't. It was a chokejob then. It is a chokejob now. Same line of logic applies to the prequels.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  14. Fang Titan

15. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

I remember when Star Wars used to have aliens who didn't just show up as cameos.

I remember there were three monsters in Gungan core.

16. Fang Titan

Disney Wars is so hilariously creatively bankrupt its not even funny.

Like legitimately 80% of the Disney aliens are different variants of butt-face in the movies

17. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

...Your face becomes 70 years old? No wonder you hate the sequels!

So if someone talks bad about the prequels, that automatically makes them a "sequelfag"?

18. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

More than design, aliens used to play bigger roles in the prequels

Sure we have Maz and Ankarr, but they're the only ones with roles.

Padme got down on her knees before Boss Nas. Sebulba was the Pod racing champion. Watto used to own Anakin. The aliens from Kamino made the clone army. The Geonosians made the droid army and the Death Star. General Grievous lead the droid army, Nute Gunray put the blockade on Naboo. Darth Maul revealed the survival of the Sith and took on both Obi Wan and Qui Gon at the same time.

Aliens were an integral part of the Star Wars world.

I felt like I was in a universe of alien life.

19. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

20. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
  21. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

Indeed, he was the one who gave Palpatine the power to become Emperor.

Let us all thank Senator Jar Jar Binks.

22. Fang Titan

23. Fang Titan

I don't think you know how mfw idiom works. Or have much common sense. Well the latter isn't a surprise.

24. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Doesn't it mean 'my face when'? And grow a sense or humor, or at least answer the question.

25. Rukia I’m the fucking game!

Germany
    Rose is the new Jar Jar.

26. Fang Titan

I honestly view you as being not that dissimilar from DDJ dude.

27. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Sort of like how I view you as not being that dissimilar from Suigetsu? Oh, go into one of your Disney related conspiracy theories! Those are always fun!

Maybe Rose IS Jar Jar!

28. Fang Titan

Not following this comparison. I don't go on tirades about SJW but you sound at times as robotic and bland as he does.

Lying about things don't make them true, Martial kun.

29. MartialHorror The Convicted Cinephile!

Would I sound less bland if I randomely plugged "Carnosaur 3: Primal Species" into the conversation, Fang-Chan? Because that movie has dinosaurs eating people.

30. Fang Titan

Still not following this passive-aggressive bullshit your preaching at me as a defensive coping mechanic. Also the parroting is really not helping but solidify my point.