1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Ever Heard of Columbine (the shooting)?

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by pajamas, Nov 30, 2005.

Have you?

1. Yes

84.9%
  2. No

1.9%
  3. *doesn't live in the US but still knows cause is awesome*

13.2%
  4. No *but doesn't live in the US and has a reason not to know*

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pajamas Banned

Several of my friends have never heard of it. So I was wondering, has everyone heard of it (before the appearance of this thread). This is moreso for those who live in the U.S. (obviously).

Tags:
  2. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

How can you not of heard of Columbine? The film that fat self promoting propogandist made should be enough to whack it into your conscience.

It was all Marlyn Mansons fault.

Obviously.

3. Lacus Clyne So Long and Goodnight

4. Jonas Banned

Well, that's (*don't get on my back on generilisations*) so typiclly United States (but are you sure they didn't know it because of their young age?. The americans doesn't even know what goes on in their own nation (assuming you're american, if not: ignore what i wrote).

By the way, not from US but knows about it anyways.

5. OniTasku [Weeabro for life]

Yep, I remember it in fairly great detail as well. I remember the day it happened, sad it was. =/

6. Ikari Shinji ?

7. stab-o-tron5000 I wrote words here!

Do your Friends live under a rock, in a Cave, on the Moon. That's like not knowing what "9/11" is. Shit that's like not knowing who the president is. How in the world could they possibly not know about Columbine.

Are they also aware that there's a war in Iraq going on?

8. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

Columbine is one of those that everybody should know, because it teaches a valuable lesson and provides an amazing insight into both America's gun culture and the human ability to make a scapegoat out of anything but themselves.

9. Shunsui Think. Supporting Staff

I was a few miles away from it. Hell, I've been to the highschool.

I remember going into lockdown, in fact, and the silences for years afterwards.

I'll never forget Columbine. :O

10. Jonas Banned

Well, then it's just typiclly that americans doesn't know what's going on or has been going on in their own nation.

11. Hana Winter is Coming

Man this crap makes me wish I didn't live in the US. How can anyone not know about it. Even when I have children someday I'll tell them. I'll also tell them about 9/11.

12. Robotkiller Still alive

Hey it's not americas fault that some crazy emo high school bastards who didnt get enough love from thier parents go and randomly shoot a high school.
    Dont make a stereotype out of americans (well besides pissed off redneck conseratives) because of some parents poor child raising skills. Dont group all americans together like that because it could just as easily have happened in your country.

13. Goongasnootch 亀好き

I was 15 when it happened. I remember it really well. For the next two and a half years of my life in High School I, just because I (coincidentally) wore a trenchcoat to school regualrly before it all happened, was treated like a Demon Fox was going to come out of my belly and destroy everyone.

Of course, that happened to a lot of people around my age. I just happened to be the one in my school who was treated like that. I still haven't sat down and counted how many times (per week) I was called to the Principal's office, a Counciller's (sp?) office, or subjected to a locker search over some stupid rumor someone started.

Luckily things started calming down later on in my Senior year.

Oh, and Robotkiller, the person was talking about Americans being uninformed on important historical events; not about Americans shooting people.

14. martryn Dick in hand

Why, again, is this so important? Why is not knowing about it such a big thing? Is telling your kids about it supposed to prevent them from doing it, or be looking for warning signs, or warning them not to pick on people, or is it just giving them ideas?

15. pajamas Banned

About half of my friends knew about it. Half of them didn't. We're all just about the same age, and age has nothing to do with it. What pissed me off most was the fact that we're not being taught stuff like this in schools. That's bullshit, one school gets shot up and suddenly violence in schools becomes a non-topic? (or at least over here). That's bullshit

16. Jonas Banned

In my country? Dude, i can't say i know everything about Sweden, but i think i know more than you do about the U.S. Heck, i knew all US states when i was 11 because our teacher forced us to. Not to be dissing US and all, but i have it better here than i would if i lived in the US.

Sorry but this is a fact:

Sweden > US (not in war where you guys would totally pwn us). Conclusion: We have it better in Sweden. So no, it couldn't just as easily have been happened in Sweden. We can't, unlike you guys, get a hold on a gun that easy. Heck, Walmart sells bullets don't they? Here in Sweden it's very, i repeat: very, hard to get a gun.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  17. Goongasnootch 亀好き

It's important because it shows how paranoid we as a nation can get.

18. Jonas Banned

I agree. But IMO those guys were mentally disturbed to begin with.

19. martryn Dick in hand

Sweden is cool, but you can't diss the US until you live here. Like me. The US sorta sucks.

20. sonnie_skies Braving the Rain

...Just the way it was phrased bothers me, but you're right; Americans don't know what the hell is going on in their own country, generally. I'm sure more people could name characters on South Park than members of the cabinet. Some generalizations are right, but like I mentioned earlier, you're just inviting criticism by insinuating that Americans don't know what's going on in their own country.

I live in America and can tell you that being unaware of Columbine is anything but...how did you spell it..."typiclly"? They'd have to be living in a bloody cave to not know about that if they live here and are over the age of ten. Columbine was splashed all over the news and I don't think anyone that lives here has an excuse to not, at the very least, have heard about it.

21. Shikamaru-sama Been here too long

Martryn - i dont know why its important to know to be honest, its just one of those things. Eveeryone should know about it so they do know about it. Its not about warning signs or anything like that, its about the knowledge.

Its like Dunblaine, Guildford 4 and the Soham Twins here in Ingerland.

22. Jonas Banned

I don't but the UN declared Norway as the best nation to live in, and Sweden is not too far off Norway. So in general, Sweden takes many nations.

Why won't you move here martryn? :laugh
    Free healthcare, beautiful women, good welfare (in case you'd need it), good human rights, our worst "ghetto" can't be that scary comparable to the US, good internet connections and best of all: you don't need to pay to go to collage (you only pay for the books), and even better: you will get money from the state (they've got something called CSN) FOR even going to collage.

23. Vilnius Who the hell hit me?

Telling us that you know all 50 States when you were 11 doesn't prove in the least that you know more about the United States than someone who lives there. Can you tell me about the American Civil War? I mean, being an American, I must not know what the hell that is. God, I'm so ignorant.

Please, cut out the sweeping generalizations. They're getting old.

24. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Oh yeah I remember columbine. Uhhh is there more to this?:oh

25. Tal Rasha shadow-nin

it's not necessarily "important", but it is very pathetic when a person who lives in america doesnt know that something like this happened. Like someone said earlier, it's like not knowing what 9/11 is. Just something that every American knows, and if they don't then they're an idiot or under the age of 6.

26. TDM Toast

Oh sure, I've heard of it. Terrible, terrible day...

27. sonnie_skies Braving the Rain

chamcham trigger...there is more, but there shouldn't be.

...but since we're at it, america has problems; a decent standard of living but a lot of bullshit mixed in. i don't know about sweden, as i've never been there and haven't experienced it. i'm sure taxes are considerably higher (which is how england is able to afford similar things) and as you said, maybe "you" would have it better, but as you are accustomed to sweden, then that makes sense. just like americans are acclimated to america and naturally feel they'd be better off here.

28. Jonas Banned

Oh im sorry. No, not really. But it's also a fact that they're alot of americans that can't name over 20 states.

And no im maybe not know as much as you guys about the war but i do know about the war. Why i don't know that much is because it doesn't interest me.

29. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Wait as who said?:huh
    Well that's partially true but slavery isn't the major catalyst for the war. That was only one of the many facotrs. Plus the reasons why the Northern states really didn't want slavery was more of an economic thing than anything else, but then again that's not what the topic of this thread is about.

30. Haruka modkop

Heard of it? I graduated at the freaking school![/sarcasm]

No, I didn't graduate there, or even live close. But the news was everywhere.