• Come enter in this week's GotW and PotW!
    Deadline for both contests is February 28 at 9 pm UTC.

• Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Heavy Metal (1981): the 40th Anniversary

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love
This year is the 40th anniversary of Heavy Metal, an animated film adapted from stories that were featured in Heavy Metal magazine, an anniversary that I definitely feel is worth commemorating

The film does not have a central plot, and is instead an anthology of numerous different story segments, most of which were adapted from stories that originally were featured in Heavy Metal magazine. Although this was not the first animated film that was intended specifically for adults, it was certainly a groundbreaking work, with its extreme graphic violence and occasional nudity and sexual content.

I did not see this film for the first time until I was in my late twenties, regrettably, but, as soon as I saw it, I purchased it on blu-ray, so that I could watch it, again, whenever I chose to do so. This film will never be regarded as a masterpiece, in the way that most Disney and Warner Bros. animated films are, but it is definitely a cult classic, with a small but loyal fanbase. The film is uncompromising in its graphic nature and is delightfully over the top and campy, but that is why audiences enjoy it. It does not attempt to promote any political agendas or change the viewers minds on any subjects; it exists to provide entertainment, and it succeeds at that task, very admirably.

In 2000, a sequel, Heavy Metal 2000, was released, which was not a poor film, but did not equal its original; I personally feel that waiting a full nineteen years was the main reason for the sequel's relative lack of success; if the sequel had been made, earlier, it likely would have performed far better. I very much would like to see a third Heavy Metal film, but, given that more time has now passed since the sequel was made than passed between the original and the sequel, I believe that it is safe to presume that a third film will never be made, which is very unfortunate.

What does everyone else say about this? What are your thoughts about this year being the 40th anniversary of Heavy Metal?

Last edited:

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Haven't seen it, but guess I should.

It opened on August 7, though, so I would probably have made the thread closer to that date. People aren't going to be active here for eight months.

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Are you saying that you have never seen that movie, before?

That's what I'm saying. I said it in my last post.

I would estimate that there is at least one new movie coming out every day, which makes at least 365 movies a year. This would mean that, in this case, the nostalgia-heavy 1980s could have put out at least 3650 movies (let's round to 4000). Obviously not all of them were good or memorable, but even the good ones are numerous enough that you might not have seen all of them if you weren't actually alive at the time.

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love
I would estimate that there is at least one new movie coming out every day, which makes at least 365 movies a year. This would mean that, in this case, the nostalgia-heavy 1980s could have put out at least 3650 movies (let's round to 4000). Obviously not all of them were good or memorable, but even the good ones are numerous enough that you might not have seen all of them if you weren't actually alive at the time.

There are plenty of movies that I have not seen, and have no intention of seeing, so I naturally am making threads for them movies that I have seen.

Swarmy

Hard-Shelled
Was an awesome anthology movie!

Dan O'Bannon did some work for it as well as other big names.

The sequel was a major letdown though despite me seeing it first as a kid as the original was quite hard to find here back in the 90s...

I often feel like traditional 2D adult animation should make a comeback, fully 3D CGI animation is certainly a feast for the eyes but the smooth and warm feel of the more traditional 2D animation is missed nowadays...

DemonDragonJ

you can't hurry love
I have been lamenting the fact that there is not a third Heavy Metal film, but the Netflix series Love, Death, and Robots is a spiritual successor to the films, since it was originally conceived as a third film, before it became a web series, so, perhaps, I should watch it, at some point.

Top Bottom