1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Help me to like this series. please.

Discussion in 'One Piece Anime Archive' started by hakke, Sep 28, 2005.

1. hakke

I've seen the 1st 3 or 4 episodes... I have 30 and im d/l the 2nd season(yea, a friend asked me to d/l)...

question is, do I need to have a pirate fetish? Because I've heard great things about this series... BUT:

-I dont dig pirates that much.
    -I really dont like the visual style,even the author said his art sucks(read this somewhere).
    -I had to watch the episodes 2 times because I fell asleep the 1st time watching them.
    -Why is Luffy so strong already? compared to Naruto or even Ichigo(who borders on the "FUmaincharacter!" strong), who were were pretty weak or dumb in the beginning, Luffy seems too strong... I dont identify with that.
    -that gomu gomu phrase gets old by the 2nd time you get to hear it, will it be like this every episode?
    -Does this series have fights or anything? I mean, I cant imagine Luffy fighting and losing after seeing him defelct bullets and beat that axe guy, so any future fight will be, boring to say the least.

Please recommend good episodes, or tell me why is this series good, I really want to give it a chance.

Tags:
  2. kapsi

Can't help you with this. But they're not typical wooden leg pirates usually.

Can't help you with this. I like it.

Can't help you with this. I read manga only.

Well I have bad news because he keeps getting stronger later, without any training.

Yep.

There are stronger enemies but frankly it's shonen manga so you know the drill.

The later the better, at least in manga.

3. uncanny_sama

i saw the first episode.. wasnt impressed :S

4. Ino-Shika-Chou

the art is good. its unique. and thats just his style. if ur complaining about the art, i want to see some of yours.

the gomugomu phrase gets old but get over it lol
    just watch the damn thing already. it gets exciting

5. ff4930

Don't let 1st couple of eps fool you but hey not all animes out there sastifies everyones taste. If you dont like it, you dont like it, you cant force yourself. To me One peice Rox!! Same goes to Bleach, I didnt like it after 1 eps but I put up with it and is really cool.

6. Hitomi_No_Ryu

The begining arcs do suck, there's no denying it. But if you manage get to the Arlong Arc and beyond, its all good!! (Except for the Apis Arc which is the one with a baby dragon in it, just skip that...THAT JUST WAS AWFUL!)

7. hakke

Im asking fans to tell me the good points of One Piece because its obviously successful and has many fans... and I exposed my points saying WHY I dont like it... "I want to see some of yours" what kind of reply is that?If I have zero drawing skills... am I supposed to like EVERYTHING else? geez. think before you reply.

For those that didnt get it: THIS is not a BASH/RANT of One Piece, I want to know why are there so many fans... please tell me anime highlights to look for... like I show Lee/gaara to someone getting into Naruto.

8. kapsi

Well I like 1 Piece because we keep moving forward along with characters who meet new people, discover places etc. It's not like Naruto revolving around Akatsuki/Orochimaru/Itachi. There are reccuring characters of course but so far it's been like that. And the story is great in execution, you really can care about characters and cheer for them and that's without mothers killing their children, terrible experments or whatnot. Plus Oda keeps making more mysteries to be urevealed. I guess I can only suggest watching more of anime (like someone said till Arlong arc at least) and seeing if you don't like it still.

9. Masaki

*shrugs* Have nothing to say.

First few arcs can do that to ya.

I, too, often wonder why he's so strong. My best guess is that he expands his muscles by using his powers.

It is a common phrase he uses. I find it catchy.
    The first enemy he has any trouble with is Arlong. The first three fights are just there to show how strong Luffy already is, but the series picks up after Arlong is introduced.

Like I said, the series picks up during Arlong, which comes in the second season, I think. You just need to go through the earlier arcs to first get the plot and the character developement.

There is a lot of drama, funny scenes, and a huge list of completely different characters.

And by the way, I know you complained about Luffy being so strong, but come on... Goten in DBZ turned Super Saiyan while training with his MOM.

10. Kagalli

I wasn't thrilled on the first couple of eps either... but somehow I kept watching and now I'm on ep 151. And let me tell you, if you stick with it, you're bound to like it. Some of the later arcs are amazing. Some are very dramatic. I love the series now. I mean it isn't the 4th most popular anime anywhere for nothing. Yes, it's more popular than the likes of Naruto and Bleach too. :amuse

11. Wing-Zero

not many like the first couple eps but after that it roxes

12. hakke

Thanks , that's a good reply, ill keep it in mind, thanks again.

Thanks, that really helps me trying to get One Piece... as for the DBZ comment, I loathe DBZ :p Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, I am aware OP has higher ratings than both NAruto and Bleach, that's why Im willing to keep watching to see why is it so good. thanks for your reply.

13. frz1

Well, like everyone else is saying, hang in there. It just gets so freakin' good later on. The characters are so lovable. The story is really good and there are some amazing twists. The fights are really cool and creative. This also happens to be one of the funniest animes I have ever seen. Even with all that humor, there are some really really intense dramatic moments. It's just got a good blend of everything imo. Seeing the Luffy crew interact with each other is fun to watch.

14. kapsi

I misght also add that the plot is like a JRPG - they move from island to island, defeating the bosses and uncovering the bigger story.

15. Amatsu

Watch the arlong arc

You'll be hooked

Actually I loved the entire One Piece storyline but it starts otu slow. It doesn't really pick up till the Arlong arc anyways. The first few arc's are for introducing the main members of the straw hat pirate crew Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Ussop, and Sanji.

Once you get to the Arlong arc things really begin to pick up.

16. Amatsu

Well that's because you only watched the first episode >.>

17. Crowe

One Piece comedy rox all other comedy animes.

Usopp's retarded comments, Chopper fear for Nami, Luffy's stupidy, Zoro's 1337nezz, Sanji's constantly hornyness, robins...hm...arms

18. JayG

I didn't neither, and I still don't. I don't walk around talking like a pirate unlike the way I walk around forming seals.

Didn't like the art either, but I got used to it.

Happened to me too. Not during the first two episodes, but sometime during the beginning.
    Because Luffy is badass like that.
    Not every episode, but every fight he has, says it often enough.
    Bullets aren't the only thing that can kill a person. Luffy has other weaknesses, which I won't care to divulge at this time.

My recommendation, just keep watching. As you can see, I had almost the exact same sentiments that you are having now. But just stick with the series and give it a chance, because it does get good, and in other cases, REALLY REALLY good. The one knock that I have on One Piece is that it is slow in the beginning. You're sitting there watching, anxiously waiting, thinking "when will he get his next crew member?", yet it feels like it dragged.

The good thing about it being "slow" is that all the characters are very well developed. You'll know as much about Luffy as you will Zoro, and later the rest of his crew.

For me, the series got interesting during the 2nd and 3rd arc. But the clincher for me was the 4th arc (Arlong arc). By that time, I was hooked. One Piece became my favorite anime then (yes, ahead of Naruto). And it didn't stop there. The next arc was better than the Arlong arc. And the one following that was better than the previous one.

Unfortunately, I don't know which episodes those are. In any case, I really recommend that you just suck it up and watch through the whole thing. Jumping around to get to the "interesting" parts will leave you with some things that won't make sense. And honestly, one of the best things about One Piece is Luffy and his crew's journey. The more you watch and get to know them, the more you are able to feel what is going on in the anime.

19. xtremextsy

That was brilliantly said!!

20. Audity

Yeah I was going to rant how a lot of the earlier replies were crap (which hakke surprisingly defended well) and then say many things Jay has said, but then he said them...

Someone once said patience is a virtue, and this anime is the best example I can think of for that statement right now.

21. silverwings

Get past buggy. The Kuro Arc is the first good arc IMO. Which is only topped by Sanji's Intro Arc. Which is then topped by Arlong... so, it just gets better and better.

Frankly, if you still don't like it after 10 episodes or so, it's not for you. *shrugs*

If it means anything, the fights can be kickass. :tem

22. Amatsu

oh well also the music is also really good as well. It has a lot of classical, jazz, and techno pieces that really fit the atmosphere.

I don't know why I'm mentioning it but it's something to mention. XD

23. Kayvaan Shrike

this show rocks so you gota start liking it or else!!!

jk but seriously its an awsome show

24. hakke

thanks for your advice... which episodes are the arlong ark in?

I also thank Aetheos and Audity for their comments.

I got stuck(work and other stuff) on ep 10 I think(middle of ussop story)... but I do plan to continue watching it... I'll post my POV after a few more episodes. Ill do it because I think someone else starting might have these questions and the topic could actually be useful to them.

25. game2005

The best parts come in the Alabasta arc, which starts around episode 90. That's my absolute favorite, followed by Skypiea. Crocodile and Eneru are among the most powerful villains in OP, if not, the most powerful villains to exist in anime history.

26. Baby Raptor

later in anime 180esp or plus you will see more powerful villain in ONe piece , they are stronger than Crocodile or Eneru but it is best series for me if it is enjoyable !!

27. Amatsu

Well the Arlong arc begins around episode 30 I believe. You have to get through the whole Sanji/Don Krieg arc first but there's many godo fights in there... especially Zoro vs Mihawk

Plus Sanji is just the man. Even though Krieg is like the worst villian ever...

28. BD87_Hokage

I think the reason why there are so many fans, is that One peice is basicly humor and action. Me personaly, I am a fan and proud of it but if you dont like it, thats just how it goes. Some people like it and some dont.

29. Masaki

...And drama...

30. Tsuuga

OMFG I am rabidly obsessed with this show now. I've only finished the Alabaster arc so I'm probably behind most of you, but this has seriously become my favorite anime.

All the scoffers who stick to their precious Narutos or Bleachs ae going to miss out. No other anime has made me feel such absolute joy just to watch it.