1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Help motivating a crappy artist?

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by Vandire, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Vandire

The main reason I came to this site (though by far, not the only one) is because the art section seemed like a really cool place.

I'm a crap artist, as the thread title suggests- I've been trying to learn how to draw for a while and always end up giving up then trying again a few months down the line. Its just depressing seeing the stuff that ends up on paper, and thinking of the original idea that was in my head, or looking at the picture on screen I was basing it on. It sucks.

I want to become a good artist, and I know that it'll require a lot of work, and long and short of it I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good methods to learn by, or ideas on how to stay motivated, stuff like that.

If neccessary I can scan in a not-quite-as-crap-as-most drawing I've done to prove my suckiness, without doing *too* much damage to peoples eyes in the process.

Doesnt help that my current gf and previous gf were both qualified artists, and yet the most advice I got was "start with the general shape, then add in details. and practice a lot."

*le sigh*

So, yeah. Help/advice/opinions/ideas anyone?

Tags:
  2. OniTasku

As much of a pain-in-the-ass it is, you need to get down basics. By that, I mean shading, anatomy, muscles, folds, the way light affects objects, scenery and all of that. Try first doing a lot of still-life drawings and work on your basics there. Gradually, you'll become fairly good with that and with that base you can start to work your way up and draw more original and creative work which you think of. I'd highly suggest you not go right into drawing your own stuff without having the basics down.

Well, hope that helps somewhat. :amuse

3. syarul

Well from your explanation, I can just say you merely demotivating yourself too much. It's true that if we do an art and it turn out crap it would leads to such state of emotional believe and I do sometime. As for me, doing arts is not that fun but it's a part where we try to overcome the limits within ourself. If I'm able to achive it, it mean I'm satisfy. The best part is not the result though, it's the process that we going through.

If you ask anyone for help and opinion possibly the advice you'll get is the same things. My advice is get solid motivation and prepare for the worst. Where can you start first? I dunno since you didn't suggest any so if you bad with figures, you can try focus and practicing on certain part like face/hands/body first, try it with outline. You need to know about shading and the best way to start is to shade simple geometry like cube, triange or ball shape. Always start with monocromatic value like black and white. Practice don't mean you just draw you need also study the shape and surfaces. Always look for refrences. There are plenty here at NF or the whole net itself. Get your drawing upload in the art section and let ppl c&c, and always take note ppl who commented your work not or less compliment. Nobody going to despise your work or not, they always sincerely suggest and give thoughts where you can always improve. Simply said, it's the best advice where you can't get else where.

And lastly, let your heart lead the way.. do not press yourself following certain ppl styles, but if you like them why not. If you have your own style it's better to let it go like that. Each one of us may have the same physical values but totally different with imaginations and ideas. Opinions may varies, and always take pride in what u do, defend you art anywhere you can. Art is about appreciation and not gifted, they are achive by hardwork and motivation. Let this within your thought " discipline and control over yourself will measure the level of your success".gambare..:)

some good links for art resources and looks for basic stuffs first. Andrew Loomis as suggested is one of the best to start with beginners. If you have the money why not have his book.

4. PATMAN

Compare your art to others for self gratification= no
    Comparing your art to others for improvement= YES!

Art is a difficult thing to start. Things that seem easy are hard and the hard stuff is pretty easy. Keep trying, find a style you like and practice.

As stoney would say, Learn the basics from drawing human propertions then draw manga style.

My motivation: Other peoples art.

5. spirit3d

First of all, calling yourself a crappy artist really isn't going to make you anymore motivated. I don't believe that you are half as bad as what you make yourself out to be :wink

Like what others have said, practice. Alot.
    And no matter how crappy you think your art looks, finish it, keep it and don't throw it away. 6 months down the line, you'll see how much you have improved by comparing your old stuff to your new stuff and that in itself will be motivation to continue.

Looking at other peoples art is great too, as others have already suggested. Visit DA and Elfwood or something. See how others do thier shading, anatomy proportions and the like then try to emulate it. Not asking you to copy thier work, but until you develop a style of your own, this will have to do to improve on your basics.

Wishing you luck in your artistic endeavors! :)

6. syarul

Thank for the quote Justice. If you don't know, it means "KEEP IT SIMPLE AND STUPID" , a lot newbie ignore this a lot thinking beyond helpless boundaries to achive something impossible. Everyone start with the simplest methods (even the best artist you praise) and bound them together into a sequence of progression which end up look complicated. Look through oher ppl atworks and study the methods they use within.

KISS is one thing that keep me on track when I stuck doing artwork, since the simplest way is the best way to do it.

7. Kusajishi

I always check out others arts, I get my motivation from them "Damn I wan't to be as good as them" and then I just start doing something, sometimes it turns out pretty nice sometimes it doesn't if it doesn't then I just go on and check out others art again!

8. Vandire

Having read all of the replies, theres a lot of stuff to bear in mind, and most of it seems like common sense, thinking about it. Now, common sense sure as hell is not an area im very good with, so this feedback should be pretty useful. So again, thanks =)

9. OniTasku

No problem.

I really do hope that you get on your way to becoming good and happy at what you do. Because one thing about art, it's something that most artists hold dear to them and will always cherish. And yea, again, hope everything goes good and all that jazz. =P

10. Therahedwig

11. Leen

I am not so good as well but I can give some advice too.

1. If u cant draw, try immitate the drawings first.

After copying and immitating for some time, u might find your own style.

Then keep to your style and try colouring it. Keep colouring and experimenting. U can use other people's colouring as reference but not copy blindly. U need to develop your own style, not forcing yourself to follow other people's style.

Practice make perfect.

12. StoneWalker

OMG I thought I was having deja-vu or something XDDDD we had a pretty good discussion at CGTalk about why so many artists don't generally follow KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) when starting artwork.

Its something that even the great artists have difficulty following, and sometimes it trully shows in their art. Attention to detail is important, but only attention to the RIGHT detail marks beautiful work. Even the most simplistic piece of art can have a better sense of world-detailing than the most complicated piece of art.

I saw an exmple of this (great detailing with simplistic style .vs. something that looked awesome at first-glance, but was just over-detailed) in the Art Gallery today n__n;;;;

This is why early critiques are a gift from god when working on a larger project. Take it and run like hell, never leave them behind.

As for more practical motivation to work hard, rather than theory.. (*breathes in*);

-Post at art communities: use the advantages of the community to the fullest.
    Spoiler: blahblahblah

HOLY CARPZ there are many art communities that give artists free web space (DeviantART, GFXArtists, ArtWanted, and some others I can't remember right now), but way more than half of the artists don't bother interacting with the rest of the site. The communities have great forums and other art events that are made for people like us, so take advantage of them n___n

-Learn while you're there.

Take FULL advantage while you're there XD

-work out a project and try to stick to it.

This is pretty difficult to do T___T But with the POWER OF YOUTH (self-motivation), you'll be able to see the project to the end. Whether its just your own personal artwork, a small webcomic or animation, a sketch-series, whatever it may be. Self-motivation is much more important than any other type of motivation. But if you need someone to help you out, then the next point is even better .n______n.

-make some art buddies.

Learn from each other .n____________n. and its nice to talk to people with similar interests in art

-make a sketch blog.
    Spoiler: A more important "blahblahblah"

SOMETHING VERY COOL THAT WILL KEEP YOU SUPER-ULTRA-MOTIVATED~! Making a blog and throwing your daily sketches on there is a great way to see your art process and how well you're improving. The greatest part about this is, you might motivate other artists to draw more as well.It will be a great achievement when you have a years worth of sketches that show your progress.

I really love seeing this kind of stuff, and I know other people do too :leepose

-Stay true to your own style.
    Spoiler: A much more important "blahblahblah'

Do not "DO NOT" become a slave to someone elses art style. It kills to see 1000 Hyuug Tae Kims and 1200 Hoons T__T Using another artist's atyle as inspiration and mimicking their way of interpretation is ok, but drawing something in a way that you feel it should look is much better than drawing in a way that someone else feels it should. Developing your own style whether people love it or not marks a GREAT artist.

I've seen awesome artwork made by awesome artists. But because the style is something so copied, so CLONED, and lacks the originality that makes my heart jump and my eyes pop, I can all but call it "good," while others usually leave a "OMGWTFOATMEAL THATS AWESOME SO AMAZING!" comment XD

Your own originality is something that trully motivates anyone, especially yourself, because you can call it your own. No one else had it before your imagination swallowed it whole.

[EDIT] and stay away from them drawing tutorials, unless they show you a specific technique ;)

I can't believe some of these weren't mentioned yet T_______T

As for improving your artwork, you've probably heard it all before XD Learn anatomy, have a good sense of lighting, draw what you see, etc. There are many threads around the Art Class about this .n___n.

*kisses everyones feet that posted* XDD

god, I rant too much..

13. Vandire

Stonewalker- that was a very cool post =)

I've decided to go with the idea of a project, and am making a series of sketches (which i intend to do 1 per day) of a guinea pig dictatorship, with propaganda posters, an evil dictator (that cant move any part of its body aside from its absurdly stretchable neck) and uncertain rebels that like to wear berets. Im not entirely sure drawing this will help with my long term goal of being able to draw kick-ass anime style, but it seems a lot simpler, and less depressing, than horribly mutliating images of Hinata an attempts to draw something closer to that long term goal.

have just finished making a deviant art account to host it all =) username is yami-vandire.

Thanks very much to everyone whos replied with ideas and general art-related knowledge.

Out of newbie-ishness, if I wanted to refer back to all this stuff a few months down the line, woudl I still find it on these forums, or would it have been deleted as an inactive thread at some point?

14. Therahedwig

No you will never lose the thread, you'll just have to find it, that's all!
    (unlees there's a flamewar in this thread)

I could also advice you to try to make a comic, it has given me so much expierence making my own!
    And so what if you can't draw Hinata, like kishimoto does?(he doesn't draw her all by himself anyway...) It's not the end of your career!

15. Leen

Just keep drawing and drawing. U can also find a tutorial in your place. Before I learn to use PS I actually learn water colour. It helps a lot when it comes to shading. :thumbs

U will do great! I cant wait to see your devianart in the future. Speaking of devianart, I still haven't get one. :(

16. Jinaku

In order to become better practice more and more.. you will see he changes eventually

17. korohitori

I'm sorry that I can't give you advice on how to draw better, but I can motivate you. Just have some confidence in yourself, and keep on trying and trying. Nothing is without its own rewards, one way or another. I mean, I know someone who saw how I drew and wanted to draw like I did. I can't draw very well, but he wanted to learn anyway. So I showed him, and he kept on practicing. He's now better than I am in such a short time, and I'm happy for him.

18. Krazy Man

If you are having trouble you should DEFINETLY buy this "How to Draw Manga" book. If you're thinking "I hate those how to draw manga books, there useless". Well thats youre opinion, but here me out this book is over 850 full-colour pages. This is 500%-600% longer then average books. VERY detailed step-by-step prosece that will give you as many steps you need. It's co-authored by the top 8 artists in the "Otaku Comunity", completly printer friendly beause it comes on a disk or as a file on youre computer, you just print out the pages you want. You need a high-speed conection if you're downloading dierctly(It's 40 mb).

If you're geting the CD version it comes with a cover slip, label, launch menu, and ships from our fulfillment house in Michigan. Even better, it includes a full copy of Adobe Reader, so you can install the latest version directly from the CD. The only caveat is this version requires a Windows-based machine (Mac coming soon) and you'll have to wait some time for it to be delivered.

FINALY the price. For online version-$19.95(American)
    CD version-$24.95+$5 shipping+handeling. Here's a sample something new from the Ichigo 100% author

19. Hinano

Just practice, eventually you'll figure it out :D

20. xpeed

There's no such thing as a "crappy" artist. Each artist has their own taste and view. I mean look at Picasso. In the beginning, everyone hated his art. They all think it was a piece of junk! Now most of his works cost couple of thousands and millions of dollars.

If you take your time and finish it, you will see your results and then you can see what you need to practice on or not. If you think you did a good work, great! But if someone saids it's crap, ignore it! It's your own decision that you did a good job and no one can take that away from you as long you have confidence that you can do better.

In the beginning, everyone thought my cars were pieces of trash! literally, they would ruin my drawings whenever I let them see it. Pissed me off, but I shrugged it off, because I know that they can't do any better. Whenever I see new designs or a pro designer drawing a car, that gives me inspiration to do better. Now, I'm where I am right now and I'm still practicing at it.

Remember, "No one can make you feel inferior without your own consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt-

My $0.02

-xpeed-

21. Jef88

Xpeed you my friend win the internet for that reply :amuse

i would love to help you :amuse
    post a drawing and i will try to give some building comment or ask in the ask jef thread and i'll be happy to awnser youre question or correct youre mistakes :)