1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Help selecting parts

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by ChipsAndSnacks, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ChipsAndSnacks

I need selecting parts for my next system. I would like to buy parts which I will only need but I can't help getting myself paying the extra 10 or so dollars for a greater piece of hardware I won't use to its full potential. I've got some parts selected though...
    I think what I really need help on is selecting a motherboard. Oh yeah. And a case. I try doing some research on what I plan to buy, but there have been some issues on "This is a great case....but, so and so has a thing here which makes it hard to install this thing or...causes this thing to run hotter..."

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (got fer free)
    Mobo: ASUS (Not sure what model. Around the A8N series. Maybe some SLI capabilities. Help me choose a model)
    Memory: (2) 1gb DDR400 memory
    Video Card: nvidia 7900 GT
    HD: 400gb 7200RPM SATA HD
    Other:
    (2) CD-R/DVD-R combo
    (1) 1.44" Floppy Drive

Tags:
  2. ShinAkuma

Flag:
    Canada

Best socket 939 mobo -

Best AM2 mobo -

As for cases, you can't really go wrong with anything Coolermaster IMO. However if you want a great affordable styling case, you should check ot Areocool -

Happiness! - 02 [GNU]

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  3. blacklusterseph004

Soket 940 are the new AM2 mobo's? I've been wondering about this recently myself, because I to would like to buy a new system, but I'm not sure which parts to get. Apparently, the am2 mobo's can use the DDR2 ram up to 800MHz(?). However, some reviewers are saying the the performance boost over normal DDR is only like 5% or something. Can anyone give advice on this?

@ChipsandSnacks: Those specs look good. You may want to try investing in a SATA2 HDD. The transfer rates are supposedly significantly higher.

4. ShinAkuma

Flag:
    Canada
    Yes, AM2 is socket 940.(although the Opteron 940 and early FX 940 chips is not the same) And it is true there is no real performance boost with DDR2 over DDR on the AMD platform, which makes me wonder what the point was of promoting and new socket with basically all the same CPU's and no performance gain.

5. blacklusterseph004

I see. I heard also that the new Intel Core Duo cpu's are launching soon (if not already) and the benchmarks supposedly beat FX60's. I'm not sure whether to wait for these (the entry price will be excessive) or go with the tried and tested FX 60's (may become outdated quickly, then again, which cpu doesn't).

6. Gyokusai

The Core 2 Duos have been out for at least 2 months and the Core 2 Quadros should be released sometime early '07. Even the lower-end Core 2 Duos match/beat most AMD CPUs in many tests. You can just buy an E6300 and then OC it to E6400 speeds to save some money. Personally, I'm going to wait until the Core 2 Quadros are released and get one of those or a high-end Core 2 Duo...or we could all wait until the Intel Clovertown is released(8 cores)...

7. staradderdragoon

actually, the quadro is supposed to get released this december. btw, AMD will be releasing new FX processors in a 4x4 config. It's a dual socket thing....they're called the FX-70,72,and 74. anyhow, in terms of DDR2, many benchmark tests i've seen say that DDR-400 wins in terms of gaming, but in terms of apps, DDR2 prevails. plus the decreased voltage allows for more volts elsewhere and higher clock speeds. i'm waiting for the AMD 65nm processors cause i know they'll end up beating intel. i'll prob build a new system next winter noce vista has released a service pack and DDR3 mobos come out.....i think i may be able to get some DDR3 for free....dunno.

btw ChipsAndSnacks, how the hell did u get an FX-60 for free??!?!?!?!?

as for cases, i would go for the Silverstone TJ06
    [x]

obviously you'll need good cooling cause ur gonna overclock that fx-60 like a mofo.
    i would skip heat sinks and go directly to LCS. i'd suggest the Koolance EXOS II but if you have a ton of cash, get a Vapochill. nothing like knowing ur CPU's running at -45 degrees celsius....hehe

8. ChipsAndSnacks

Okay, so I decided to go for the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium. I'm not spending money on high end stuff I won't max out on. And money is somewhat tight for me. I looked up the Silverstone TJ06, and I guess I may be going for that one due to the wind tunnel, yet I find mixed reviews. Will propbably purchase the case at a local store rather than Newegg although cheaper, price adds up due to the freight/weight fees for a heavy case.
    I'm kind of debating on whether getting the 7900GTX or the 7950GX model nvidia boards now. Was originally gonna get the 7900GT originally due to price but you always get the "but for another $$$ i can get this, or for another $$$ i can get this one instead!"
    Yep. Got the FX-60 for free. Not gonna tell how. May get in trouble. Its a retail PIB with 3 year warranty and heat sink. Pretty sweet. I'm sticking stock with the CPU though. I don't wanna risk anything by overclocking a FREE expensive part.

9. pajamas

Dude, no one on NF is a cop, tell us how you got the part! I'm intrigued <_>

Half the forum does something or other that's not completely legal, in fact, 99% of it probably does (torrenting, limewire, frostwire, all these things).

So just tell us! We don't care how many people you killed to get it! We're just interested.

10. Vegitto-kun

11. ChipsAndSnacks

Heh. Yeah. Kind of like stealing. But I call it an unauthorized going away present from my boss. (He was leaving to another job)

12. blacklusterseph004

lol, I wish I could get some unauthorized parting gifts, especially high end processors.

By the way, what are the Core Duo prices like? Are they within range for a tight budget?

13. staradderdragoon

for graphics card, i'd get the 7900gtx. the 7950GX2 is only good if ur gonna be running games at 1600x1200 which i dont think many people do. plus, u need to run it in SLi to make it run smoothly. as for getting that CPU, that's pretty badass. the highest end thing i can get are 2 gig RAM DDR2-800. though, i know i've seen a 4 and 8 gig RAM sticks in a case in my dad's office.
    oh, and i could get ddr3 if i wanted.....but its for servers.....

anyhow, Leon's right. everyone here does illegal shit. only software i have ever paid for is Half-life 2 and windows xp...lol.

as for core dua prices, they're pretty good i guess. they have a huge range. personally, if i were to get one, i'd get the e6400 for $223 or the e6600 for around $320. the e6600 is really good and can give the fx-series a run for its money. blackluster, give me a budget, and i might be able to configure a system for you or something.

btw, anyone know how to merge threads? cause i feel this should go in the "your computer setup" thread since we're talking about computer parts in both threads....i dunno.

14. ChipsAndSnacks

No ide ahow to merge threads. Probably have to ask a mod or something.
    Well, looks like I'm holding off a little longer on my purchasing parts again.

Maybe until the end of this week is when I'll buy the system as I am currently holding back and scrounging for potential "hook ups" when it comes to the video card. I may not be able to get it at work, but possibly from somebody who knows somebody. Chances seem slim though. But what the hey.

I really need to get another job. This system is really getting a chunk out of my bank account. I'd go full time at my tech support job, but talking to customers on the phone even part-time drives me nuts.

Kinda sucks when you get paid very little by the hour. You tend to measure every little thing you purchase by the minute or hour.

For example, "I can't believe this fucking Venti Mocha Cappucino was worth 40 minutes of my time on the phone with that one asshole."

15. xtrashock

Here is a little bit advice as i have treid several times to purchase sytstem in parts but almost every time i get fed up of that system so i advice you to have some branded .

16. ChipsAndSnacks

17. staradderdragoon

i think he means barnd name stuff....like asus, abit, gigabyte etc. anyhow, how is this system supposed to cost you a lot? i mean, at most 1000 right? if i had my way, i'd build like a 3000+ system, but my dad was like no.....anyhow, i think i'm waiting till the AMD quad-core comes out....im not sure. it kinda depends what intel's plans are. supposedly, i read on CNN, that intel wants to release 45nm processors middle of next yr. that means the 65nm will be like the current AMD prices....i dunno really.

18. ChipsAndSnacks

I wish 1000. But actually its more like 1500 tops. This is going to be a completely new system. Don't forget, there is still the monitor, peripherals, and the sound card.

19. Vegitto-kun

you can forget the high end stuff then basicly, i mean my new computer is 3000+ euro and it isn't even ZE top of the line

my new screen is another 1500 euro ontop of that

20. staradderdragoon

for 1500, i built an entirely new system from scratch. only thing i didnt pay for was the 2gig DDR400. it's not bad. its got the x2 3800+ and i can overclock to 2.7ghz if i want to. so i mean, its not impossible. i waited for the best deals. its got a 7800gt in it.