1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

"Heroes Aren't Allowed to Kill."

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Cardboard Tube Knight, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Cardboard Tube Knight Well-Known Member

Spoilers up through season 3 of the anime

I'm watching the anime, as such no one important has actually died yet (except people in the past and the like)/ Every time I thought a character had died (All for One / Best Jeanist / Ragdoll / Camie) they are later confirmed to be alive.

But there is evidence that heroes will just kill or at least attack without any regard for how the villain is going to get out the situation. I mean, when All Might pushes All for One's soft ass tentacle head into the ground at the end of United States of Smash you can't tell me that he was going to be sure that the man would survive.

And the first piece of evidence is this, exhibit A.

I'm calling bullshit on anyone being able to tell this guy was coming down alive. Also calling bullshit on the "we found him a little ways away in a park" line later. At the speed and trajectory that he left with they'd be digging him out of some jungle in Laos.

Later on Endeavor blows the head off of another Nomu. He doesn't know what Nomu is or that it's not a human in some form, but he makes sure that the thing's regeneration won't work. There's another word for that and it's dead.

If accidental death is addressed later on in the manga or if they address how much responsibility is on the hero not to kill, but it doesn't seem like there's much.

Tags:
  2. Yak Well-Known Member

Noumu and AFO are kind of very specific cases here, with the latter already being known as a super villains who threatens a country if now the entire world if left unchecked. Heroes probably do have a license to kill if extreme measures are required; it's a heroes' job to determine quickly what situation he find himself in when encountering a criminal or what is dubbed a villain and how to act appropriately or at least to the best of the individual hero's judgement. Since this has to be done in split seconds it can often be do or die. You cannot second guess. And naturally a hero would have to live with the consequences of misjudging a situation but I don't think Horikoshi will show a lot of detail there.

Since this is mostly targeted at teens I doubt Horikoshi will really go fully into darker themes or more morally questionable or even only philosophical ones. It's most likely not going to be an in-depth topic for the whole world building.

3. Tayimus Number One

All Might fully meant to kill All For One in their first fight five/six years ago. In fact, All Might was surprised he was alive. Yes, heroes can and do kill. Perhaps Horikoshi will address that in depth, perhaps not. I'm pretty meh on the matter since personally, I hate the "I Must Not Kill" oath that some heroes take. I'm of the opinion that if the threat is great enough, killing should be justified avenue for a hero.

4. ~VK~ The King

i mean what's the point of even being overseen and held accountable by the government if they're not authorised to kill when necessary?

i mean sure i can understand killing being problematic when it's a vigilante who's not held accountable by anyone playing judge, jury and executioner but these are not vigilante.

5. Yak Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, "Vigilantes" has a pretty damn great finale in the last major arc

Spoiler:

With Knuckleduster having to fight his own daughter who was inhabited and brain-controlled by a sentient insect queen and their hive. He basically had to electro-shock her so hard that she went into cardiac arrest, which caused the parasites to leave the dying body. Then he had to restart her heart manually again. Shit was kinda hardcore and pretty dark in a way even tho it worked out. I wonder what repercussions he would've had to face if he had operated under the Law and wasn't a vigilante. Is that attempted murder, regardless?

6. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

You won't believe how many times Batman had pissed me off with this on occasion. Pulling a gun and trying to kill Darkseid? Nah we're good. Killing mass murderer Joker. You're going to far :giogio.

7. Aros001 Member

I imagine the Pro Heroes are a lot like police officers with more attention and publicity, and so I'm guessing they have about as much authority as the police do to kill under certain situations. Mind you, given this is fiction, the situations are a bit more ideal and thus we're not likely to have situations like in America with innocent unarmed people being killed by the police. So in the fictional story, the police and Pro Heroes are far more likely to kill only in a genuinely dangerous situation than accidentally kill an innocent.

But also keep in mind that the world of Pro Heroes, along with heroic acts and accomplishments, it's also something of a popularity contest. There are people who take issue with killing no matter the context, so with all eyes on the hero and their career, they're less likely to kill and risk that permanent mark on the public's perception of them.

8. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

You can kill them in the middle of a fight but you can't assassinate them or give them a killing shot once they arent a threat anymore.

9. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Wasnt it implied that All Might killed some of AFO's boys back in the day.

10. Tenma The Inferno

They are basically supercops, they can and will kill when neccessary. Comic heroes have that no-kill law as they are unsanctioned vigilantes.