1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Hikaru Utada

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by GeniusShikamaru, Oct 14, 2004.

1. GeniusShikamaru

Hey there! Most of you J-pop fans probably know who she is already. She is like the Christina/Britney/JessicaSimpson of Japan. But guess what she has released her first USA official album. Will you people help her blow up in the States or burn her music off the net making it a feeble, attempt?!?!

Also for those of you who didn't know she was originally going to put out an album when she was 13 in the USA but for some reason it didn't happen. They heard it in Japan and asked her to translate it to Japanese and the rest is history.

For those of you under a rock: She wrote simple and clean, the theme of Kingdom Hearts.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
    Tags:
  2. Kage Bunshin

GO BOA AND Do As Infinity!

3. Yaman

I only know her cause i palyed kingdom hearts and heard simple and clean.
    gave a five minute thing bout here on mtv

4. urban_decay

I love Utada. I love all her songs. Her english cd is good but not as good as her japanese cds. She such a great songwriter and she goes to college here in New York so I might see her when I pass Colombia University.

5. ~K+

I don't think EXODUS is even a burn-worthy album. I really couldn't put myself listening through that album especially since her voice has gotten so raspy from 'Deep River' onwards.

So no...I'm not buying it. But it's sold 7000 copies in the US so far.

6. Orihime

Hikki &hearts;!!! One of my favorite songs is by her, First Love. It's just one of those songs that no matter how much I play, I won't get tired of lsitening to it. ^^ Anyway, she's a pretty good singer, with good engrish... I still have to check out Exodus. :\

7. eternally

I don't really like her new American album. Except for two good songs (Exodus and Kremlin dusk) everything else sounds like she's desperately trying to appeal to the American public by being all sexy and that is NOT the Hikki we love..><

8. ~K+

Yeah...I find only 'Kremlin Dusk' and 'Exodus 04' as the only listenable tracks also.

9. ahheng21

i like her... it's a pity that she was married so young to a old freak

10. Aruka

i love utada hikaru! she sang fly me to the moon (evangelion) hikaru (kingdom hearts)
    i love those songs!

11. ahheng21

hmmm i prefer her classics... first love and can u keep a secret

12. GeniusShikamaru

I myself never heard many of her songs. She was good. Don't about the english stuff. Unless she does something with a r&b, hip hop, pop, and or rapper I doubt she'll get famous. Absolutly not if she doesn't make a music video.

13. Inochi

I'm a HUGE Hikki fan!!! Has anybody else heard her new album (Exodus)? Personaly, I didn't really like it as much as I did others. There were about two or three songs on there I liked. My fav Hikki songs would have to be...Movin' On Without You, A.S.A.P., Can You Keep A Secret, Sakura Drops, Hikari, and Automatic ^^

14. eternally

Lemme guess...Kremlin dusk and Exodus are two of them? xD

Yeah, her Jap releases were much better. My fav songs were Distance, Final Distance (xD), and Sakura Drops..

15. Eden Prime

I'm more of a BoA or Ayumi fan, but Utada is alright. She has some good songs.

16. mary no jutsu

utada was the first j-pop singer ive everheard. she has a beautiful voice. i don't really like the fact that she made an english album. i was heart broken when i found that out. i forgot which song it was but one of the lyrics went "your ezzy breezzy and im japanezey" i was all like forget this. now im more BoA and ayumi

17. Personal Jesus

I saw an MTV news thing on her a month ago. She's hot. >_> But for J-Pop stuff, I usually prefer to focus on bands and not solo artists. Nevertheless, I don't mind giving her a try, as long as the music itself isn't anything like Britney or Christina.

18. NinjaJedi007

traveling is such a good song. the video is pretty interesting too. its so fruity and colorful. what are some other good songs?

19. hakke

EXODUS is quite an album... Im a fan, but not an OMG UTADA fan...

Anyway... EXODUS is not an album you will like on your first play, it needs constant hearing to really get the mood of the album. I know it sounds weird, but I began to like it little by little, and then I read this review where it described exactly what happened to me.

MY advice... yea its burn worthy... give a try a few times... really did change my view on it...

NOTE: BTW, can I post a link to that review im talking about? Mods?

20. Aidire

:oh Hikki's husband isn't a freak. He's only 36/37 years old. He doesn't even look his age (he looks like he's 20 something). Besides that, he's cute and very creative (I love the music videos he directed).

Now, on to Hikki...She is my favorite singer of all time. I love all her albums (including Exodus; favorites are Kremlin Dusk, Hotel Lobby, and Devil Inside; Exodus '04 is one of my least favorites). Out of her Japanese stuff, Final Distance, Traveling, and Parody are some of my favorites (FD will always be #1).

And what's with everyone saying she's like Britney Spears and every other stupid pop singer? She's so different (and she herself probably gets a bid mad when people compare her to them).

21. hanabishi

Her older american stuff was awful too. I like some of her Japanese songs though. Mostly "automatic". I didn't like her stuff until I watched the drama Forbidden Love. They played her stuff so often in that show, I kind of got attached.

22. Pods

so mad, she's not even on itunes! i want more hikki!

23. Inochi no Fushigi

Hikaru said she gets slightly peeved when people call her the Japanese Britney Spears. She said it happens a lot at her college (Columbia University, I believe), and it's become a huge pet peeve.

I've been a Hikki fan since I was eleven, but I wouldn't say I'm your typical Hikki fan that decorates his or her room and desktop with Hikki-related stuff and goes around saying she's the best in the universe. I just love her music because her form of expression is so unique. She's not afraid to write or sing about what's on her mind, and she's into so many different genres (I believe she said Led Zeppelin was one of her favorites). She's diverse, intelligent, and stays true to herself no matter what people tell her. If you listen to "Animato" (track #8--I think--on her Exodus album), she mentions in a verse how people have told her she's "got the proper tools" to be a hip-hop artist, but how she wants to "keep doing things the way do". I think that says a lot about her personality.

But, hey, you'll never know unless you ask Utada yourself.

24. Yeux

I'm a newer Hikki fan (with much thanks to my best friend for introducing me to her), but I must say that she is in no way, shape or form like any American pop female artists. (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, what have you.)

She's an individual. She experiments with different things, which makes her a true artist. If you stay with one form of music your entire career, you'll never grow. Her growth is obvious with her newest CD, Exodus. Many disapprove of it, but I give Hikki two thumbs up. Every song might not be what we're accustomed to, but that's the fun of it. Hikaru has brought something new to the table, and if we're scared of a little change, we'll turn our noses up at anything different.

At the same time, I guess that depends on what you're looking for in a song. She takes you to another world with her lyrics, expressing the problems of our world (and expressing her thoughts) in her own unique way.

Basically--

If you're looking for a musician that you can grow with, go with Utada Hikaru. In my opinion, she's definitely one of truest musicians I've heard.

25. Orihime

Hmmm :O I also liked one of the songs she did for the Rush Hour soundtrack (forgot if it was 1 or 2) called "Blow My Whistle". :B It was catchy, and the song itself featured Foxy Brown *_*; XD;;

26. Inochi no Fushigi

I know what song you're talking about. I liked that one. xD

27. IkariBattousai

She did a really good song for the Casshern soundtrack too. I liked that one. It seems like she lost some of the emotional expressiveness in her Japanese music when she released Exodus, but that;s only from the clips I was able to find on Amazon so I can't state that as a fact. I know Exodus '04 and one other song on the album were produced by Timabaland, who is pretty good. As long as she keeps writing her own lyrics she's fine by me.

28. Inochi no Fushigi

I agree. She has a certain degree of respect from me simply because her music is her form of expression, and she's determined to keep it that way. The song you're talking about is called "Dareka no... somethin' somethin". I don't remember the full title, but I think the translation is roughly "When Your Dreams Come True". My memory is foggy on that one, though.

29. Hitomi_No_Ryu

I've always liked Utada Hikaru ever since I heard a remix version of Automatic. My fav songs from her are Wait and See, Best Friend, Automatic, Hikari, and Sakura Drops!!

30. Pods

i need to hear sakura drops! i'm going to order it or something