1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Hindu hardliners force meat sellers to shut shop in New Delhi suburb

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by mr_shadow, Oct 12, 2018.

1. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Indian Hindu hardliners are forcing meat sellers to shut shops in a New Delhi suburb that is home to global outsourcing firms, saying they must respect the feelings of majority Hindus celebrating a nine-day festival.

The drive against the mostly Muslim shopkeepers in Gurgaon during the Navaratri festival is the highest profile campaign since Hindu vigilantes targeted people engaged in the slaughter of cows, considered sacred to Hindus.

With a national election due by May, some states ruled by Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Hindu nationalist government are drawing accusations that they are not doing enough to curb the activities of Hindu hardliners.

One meat shopkeeper referred to the 1947 division of British India into the independent India and Pakistan.

"This is the first time since partition that we have been asked to close shops for this long a period," said Sajid Qureshi, whose family has been selling meat for decades.

Men are roaming around on motorbikes and surveying areas to check for shops selling meat, said Rajeev Mittal, head of Sanyukt Hindu Sangarsh Samiti, an umbrella organization of 22 Hindu groups.

"Goats, cows are cut and hung up for all to see by the road. So we don't want people who are fasting during the Navratri to see this," said Mittal, who was wearing a red religious mark on his forehead and a saffron shawl around his neck, told Reuters at his office.

Police detained six people in the region on Wednesday after confrontation which turned violent when Hindu groups allegedly forced a meat shop owner to close.

"Any one found forcibly closing meat shops will be dealt with sternly. The municipal corporation will do its enforcement on shops found running without a licence," said Vinay Pratap Singh, Deputy Commissioner of Gurgaon.

Qureshi, who was sitting with his friends outside a closed meat shop near a mosque, said they had agreed to the demands of the Hindu groups as they wanted to avoid confrontations.

Four other meat retailers told Reuters they were suffering heavy losses but were scared to keep their shops open, adding that it looked unlikely that they would be allowed to reopen for another week.

Hindu groups argue that they are asking meat shop owners with proper licenses to close only during the nine-day period, but want shops without licenses to be permanently shut down.

There are 95 licensed meat shops in the region, while there could be up to 60 without licenses, according to Ashish Singla, medical officer at Gurgaon's municipal corporation.

Gurgaon, about 30 km (18 miles) south of Delhi, is home to industrial plants including top automaker Maruti Suzuki India Ltd and many global outsourcing firms.

Tags:
  2. Mider T VM Rapist

The kind of thing that keeps foreign investors away. Religion is fine until it starts interfering with business and those who don't share the beliefs.

3. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    Tbh we (Indonesian) also force small food restaurant to close During ramadhan

The reason is also the same "respecting us who are fasting."

There is that

4. Mider T VM Rapist

Most restaurants on the Middle East do that as well but it's not really a big deal since most restaurants close during the midday anyway. When it's time to break the fast at night it's like a normal night.

5. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    While middle east has 90-99% muslim population

Indonesia has "only" 70% muslim population.
    Also many muslim who do not fast (they claim they do physical work)

Shop owner only serve avaliable demand. But then get forced to shut down

6. Mider T VM Rapist

It seems that Islam outside of the Middle East is "Islam with a local flair". I've seen the differences in Indonesia, Azerbaijan, Seychelles, and Nigeria. It's kind of interesting.

7. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    What do you actually do for a living that enables you to travel to all these countries?

The ca. 10 countries I've been to are all in two clusters: Western Europe and East Asia. But yours seem to be all over the place. :hm

8. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    I guess what i am trying to say that muslim in Indonesia will use news like this to say that there are muslim being oppressed in other place (like India) while ignoring their oppresion to minorities at home

9. Skaddix Well-Known Member

Nigeria and West Africa is really cool in general, because Islam is really strict about no idols, pure Islam as it was given to Muhammad, destroying old idols, etc. But even to this day many West African religions have remnants of old religions infused in with their local Islamic culture.

11. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Foreign countries I've been to

1. Norway
    2. Denmark
    3. Germany
    4. France
    5. United Kingdom
    6. Spain
    7. Italy

8. China
    -. Hong Kong
    -. Macau
    -. Taiwan
    9. North Korea
    10. South Korea

I've also briefly set foot in Finland as part of a booze-cruise, but since I didn't leave the harbour or interact with any locals I'm not counting that one.

12. wibisana still newbie

Poland
    We still have muslim ceremonial that is asimilation of Hindu/buddha

Some muslim do 7th days, 40th days, 1000th days prayer for the recently dead.
    Afaik it was Hindu's ways. We just change the content of prayer from Hindu to Islam. The date is exactly the same

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sad! x 1
    • List
  13. Darkmatter Lion's Sin of Pride

4 of the countries listed here are places I've been to. Unfortunately for me, I never went as far as the Far East region of the world. :catcry
    Maybe one day...

14. Mider T VM Rapist

Kind of surprised you've never been to Japan or Singapore.

15. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Sweden
    Doing Japan next year for the Emperor's abdication, so I can say I was there on the last day of the Heisei era and the first day of the Whatever era.

Gonna cram in Singapore and Vietnam before graduation so I've been to all Confucian-majority societies.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. The Kamal Haasan Crazy Hour Well-Known Member

That is some wery weird trivia tourism.