1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Hokage faces = Mt. Rushmore?

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Danny Lilithborne, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

I'm posting this here in the interests of getting as many people as possible to discuss.

Does anyone else notice the conceptual similarity between the Hokage faces and Mt. Rushmore? This could be a coincidence, but honestly, it's not likely. If it's an homage, why? I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear yours first, even if it's just "you're stupid, n00b" or "old".

Tags:
  2. Cholisose Uhh... (cough)

Heh, that's what I thought of it as when I first saw it. I wonder if there is anything like Mt. Rushmore in Japan...

3. ShounenSuki Ruler of Penguins

I think that, if Kishimoto used Mt. Rushmore as an example for the Hokage Monument, he just thought it looked cool. I don't believe it was any kind of homage, just inspiration, at the most.

4. DeathIsComing Nobody loves me. awsome!

it's kinda understandable for those to be like Mt. Rushmore. it symbolizes that those people up there are very important and powerful and everyone should respect them.

5. icoselitham Lost

And that there the founders and protectors of the village

6. TDM Toast

Kishi had a good idea there, even if it was lame.

7. Complex Alchemist I am 1/4 Of The Unstoppable 4

Ha! Ur right it does look like Mt. Rushmore! lOL good eye i guess. Lol either all of saw and didnt recognize it(which i think is the case here) or we did and didnt say anything about. Again good eye and good thread post. Im guessing ur going to get some american haters soon so be prepared to argue lol.
    *Edit* Not american haters per se but complainers that just don't like the fact that u pointed it out that it had to do with Mt. Rushmore. Not excatly copy it but like um...made it in resembilence(< I know it's misspelled just work with me) to american stuff and it's not the creativity of the owner of Naruto(srry i dont know his name if u would give me his name and edit this again).

8. Psyonic Kosovar Albanian

I thought it was obvious :blink

9. Hokage-of-my-hood Please.

How could u not notice it. Kishimoto-sama probably used it as inspiration... Kinda impossible that he just thought of it and whoa! there's a mountain that's similar to my idea!

10. Danny Lilithborne 我を愛する修羅

Well, I'm notoriously slow when it comes to noticing things.

I was also wondering if Masashi Kishimoto ever was asked if there was a relation.

11. King Speed ●?●

well it was pretty darn obvious, i mean how many mountains have giant heads carved into em... really

12. blind51de Banned

We all know Amerifca was the first nation in history to carve heads in rock.

13. Sawako

Yeah, I was reminded of Mt. Rushmore when I first saw that too.

14. nah-nah Believe it-ttebayo!

yeah, that's probably where kishimoto got the idea.

15. Complex Alchemist I am 1/4 Of The Unstoppable 4

The same i didnt notice it untill i saw the thread hehe. And that is a intresting question by the way any think they can anwser that lol?

16. RockLee is no brethren unto Kaminae

It's pretty much the thing to do if you don't want a tired old statue of a Hokage and you have a mountain behind you...

GIANT HEADS ON A MOUNTAINSIDE!

Kishi probably has seen Rushmore. In photo form anyways.

@Complex: Your post was all right =). But could you not use "lol" 3 times in close quarters? 1 lol per post is more than enough.

17. King Speed ●?●

:nuts
    how do you guys not notice XD
    it's a unique monument. cept we don't add more on cause we dont have an infinately long mountain wall like in kohona >.>

18. Kasumi 霞 Drawing Chalk Outlines

Yeah I sort of noticed the Mt. Rushmore similarity, maybe Kishimoto did like the idea of Mt. Rushmore or maybe he did it subconciously.

P.S: L337 hurts me poor eyes

19. VerdantVenus Well-Known Member

I got a funny image of Kishimoto in a ball cap, with a mini American flag in one hand, and a hot dog in another hand, shouting Whooo hooooI'mGonnaUseThatInMyMangaCeptReplaceTheThirdsFaceAsADogButChangeItBackToAHuman!!! At Mt. Rushmore, with varying looks from people around him O.o

20. Bobcat1 Member

Ok, I don't normally speak on these forums, just read, but this thread deserves a comment.

Firstly "l33t" or "1337" or "31337" does mean elite... You guys probably weren't even around when that whole thing started.

Secondly, the Hokage Monuments are pretty much an exact copy of Mt. Rushmore, but with different faces. It isn't an "inspiration for the idea", all he did was take Mt. Rushmore and change the faces. It's pretty damn obvious. Some people are making out that Kishimoto is some kind of genious for thinking it up. Well he isn't he just took Mt Rushmore and used it in a good way for his story...

21. genjo sanzo FLCLtard

first, nobody really gives a crap about what l33t means.
    Besides, you shouldn't really treat yourself like you're "older" than other people because they don't use words like "l33t" correctly.

second, nobody was saying Kishimoto was a genious. There is really know way to tell whether he thought it would be a nice touch, or whether it was just being lame and copying. "He just took Mt Rushmore and used it in a good way for his story..." That is what Inspiration is.

but in no way is this anything original.

22. ez Jesus Christ

That was one of the intriguing aspects of the show that caught my eye. But i eventually realized that it was a coincidence. Although, the writter of the show could have came up with this idea after seeing Mt. Rushmore, it's highly unlikely.

23. ArioNeko I Hate Dubtards

Just FYI. Mt. Rushmore is not the only cliff side to have faces carved itno it but mearly the most renouwn at least for myself as an American.

If you look at it it looks nothing like Rushmore:
    Link removed
    VS.
    Link removed

If Kishimoto really mached face angles ect ect then maybe I mgith agree but you know Rushmore is not the only one.

To make a similar comparison if Kishimoto painted naruto on cavas can I say he copied the Mona Lisa because well tehy are both paintings on canvas right?

24. Sasuke530 Let's have fun in the fourms!

That's what it looked like to me when I first saw it!:tem

25. Ninja Mittens Professional Neji Stalker

The first time she watch Naruto, my little sister asked me if it was Mt. Rushmore! And that what I thought when I read the first chapter of the manga.

26. kakashi1234 legendary ninja

I always thought it looked like Mt. Rushmore but I still wonder how long it would take to carve all them faces into rock and to get it perfect looking also.

27. Knight of Fate ☢CAUTION☢

But don't you think the hokage faces are more ''beautiful''?

28. Sakura Active Member

thatz a cute discovery. i thought of that too and itz cool how u.s. presidents are like same status with hokages because they both CONTROLLLL

29. Knight of Fate ☢CAUTION☢

Spoiler:
    Except Bush doesn't know how to use Rasengan or Shiki Fuujin

30. ZeonNoMamono Eighth Division Ninth Seat

Honestly... I didn't notice.