1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Hokuto no Ken 2D Fighter coming to the PS2.

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by CAIMERMAN03, Oct 9, 2006.

1. CAIMERMAN03

Magic Box broke the news not too long ago about it coming to the PS2 (import, of course). I can't wait to play it! I've heard good and bad things about it (mostly good). What do you think, my fellow gamers?smile-big

Tags:
  2. MightyWhitey

I might get it just so I understand how to play the damn thing every time ive played this I had no clue what was going on its definatly a fun game but since hnk is getting a ps2 port rf2 needs to get a ps2 port to. ><

3. AFreak2005

4. MS81

gamereports reported it last month that it was coming out in march 07. I can't wait for this I'll pre-order like a week b4 it drops.

5. Chamcham Trigger

Finalfuckinly. I've been wondering why the hell it hasn't come yet. I know the game is rather broken, but it's hokuto no ken for crying out loud, and the game still looks like a whole lot of fun.

All I've been doing is watching tournament videos wishing I could play that game :cry

6. MS81

damn you guys played the game already I usually go to the arcade in chinatown but I haven't been in like a year so I don't if It's up there.

7. Chamcham Trigger

Last time I was at chinatown, I didn't see it at all :(
    I just checked tournaments online, while checking to see if there were any ps2 dates set, but then gave up. I'm glad CAIMERMAN03 was on the look out.

8. Duy Nguyen

Strange...I thought this game was out for a long time now, because my friend "buttered" his online and played it on his modded ps2. You can find some match videos of this game somewhere on Go For Broke, and some of the matches are rather amusing. Even though all they go for is this:

Character Selection: Pick Toki, Rei, Naked Puppet Guy...and rarely Raoh

1st Round: Do super extended longass combos to lower meter under HP bar.

2nd Round: The loser probably is close to getting one star under their HP bar. Pretty much you lose because the other guy is going to combo into instant kill.

3rd Round: The same as Round 1, rinse and repeat if the other guy wins this time.

Repetetive game, but sexy at times.

9. SeruraRenge

yeah, combos can get unimaginably cheap in this game, but like Cham said, it's HnK.

I plan to get it, one way or another.

You think the PS2 version will add in Seiji from the OVA?

10. Chamcham Trigger

That's exactly how they go. The game is extremly unbalanced and kinda sloppy with being able to combo into an IK, but just such a fun way to spend some time it seems...at least I think I'd spend a lot of time having fun with this game due to it being a nearly compitent anime fighter. They're just so far and few in between :S

11. Final Ultima

Yeah, I heard about Hokuto no Ken's PS2 release a month or two ago. I don't care about how broken it is or how many characters have absurd infinites, I definitely plan on getting it if I can one day get that damn modded PS2.

12. MS81

ppl who didn't like GGX series won't like this either,But I'm not one of those ppl.:laugh

13. SeruraRenge

there are people who don't like Guilty Gear:amazed ?!

14. MS81

yeah ppl who play SF3:3rd strike will say this game is too unbalance for them.:cry like my friend he is uber good at SF3 but when we play GG he complains how stupid the system is.:notrust

15. Chamcham Trigger

I play both SF3 and GGXX seriously, and I say while it is true that GGXX is way less balanced than SF3, it's still a great game with deep mechanics...just not as deep as SF3. Slash is pretty well balanced though.

EDIT: I was looking the game up. Seems it won't be out until march.

16. Duy Nguyen

I don't like GG games, not because it's "broken" or anything. Actually, I think it's a pretty balanced game to some of the standards today. My only reason for not liking GG is becaues I'm old school and biased towards every game that is not made by Capcom, lol.

That's why I only enjoy playing 3s, CvS2, and ST.

17. Final Ultima

I dunno about that. I'd say the tiers are less defined (or at least, based more around matchups, and so a tad more flexible) for the newer iterations of GGXX than they are for 3rd Strike. Back during the days of #Reload; which in itself is far less balanced than Slash and even more so than what we've seen for Accent Core, you'd still see a plethora of Rank D-F tier characters in tournaments like Tougeki, but ever see a Twelve or a Sean player at 3rd Strike there? Hell no.

Die-hard Capcom fans (as opposed to more casual Capcom fans) don't tend to get along with Guilty Gear particularly well. It's not that they don't like it, but the gameplay is just too different to get used to quickly enough to stick with. That's the impression I got during one of Rockefeller's "Ask Dr. Sub-Zero" podcasts, anyway.

18. AFreak2005

I'm not huge on 2D fighters like most of you seem to be, but for me in plain fun factor Guilty Gear is by far my favorite 2D fighter I've ever played. Yes, I do own SF3:Third Strike and I also owned Double Impact.

19. Chamcham Trigger

I've actually seen decent Sean players in chinatown holding their own. Not a tournament, but just as good since there's constant competition there. As for twelve...:S...you got me there, but he's a horrible design anyway. Then there's the twelve nightmare matchup against Elena, and that pretty much has any player of him (it?) scared to use him other than having fun and testing the limits of your skill.

As for the GGXX tourneys, the lower ranked characters rarely make it past the third round anyway...unless they're Zappa. Slash rectified this a lot, but now there are, again, he abusable characters. Not that it's that bad though, but still not as balanced as 3rd. Nor is the game play as tight itself.

20. TheStoryMaster

I played this a few times in the arcade. I love watch the fight matches thou (gfb.combovideos.com)

21. Duy Nguyen

Off-topic but for all of those who have never listened to Dr. Sub-Zero aka John D. Rockefeller SF talkshow, LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!!

That shit is fucken hilarious.
    [Megami]​_Sumomo​_mo​_momo​_mo​_15sec​_preview​_[C0527BEB].avi
    DL NOW!!!
    There like 3 episodes of it.

22. Chamcham Trigger

:rotfl. That was worth the off topicness since it actually offered something...funny even :laugh I can't wait to see the second one though it was kinda hard to find the links. I've never heard of this at all before now.

Oh and who does everyone plan on using in Hokuto no Ken if they play it?

23. MightyWhitey

about the sf3 balance thing i think its a great game but the fact is you cant win a tourney unless play yun chun or ken so no sf3 is not more balanced

24. Duy Nguyen

It should be all on the main page, just scroll down and lookout for it.
    If I were to play.....hmmm....Toki, because I'm a tier whore, plus his IK looks stupid. For those of you who have never seen it, well this guy sits down indian style and shoots this scoping laser at you and slashes you with another laser, and no the "slashing" part is not very badass it looks rather dumb, but very amusing.

Addressing MightyWhitey's comment, yes if you were to run a huge tournament Yun, Ken, and Chun will always be up there, because here in the states or anywhere else other than Japan...we only play the top tiers. Unlike Japan you are not crazy and pick obscure characters like Q and etc. and own in tournaments. Remember Kuroda and Hayao making it to Semi-Finals at SBO3? But yea, the only thing I like about the GG games is that every now and then you'll see a variant of characters winning tournaments, even though Sol is always around up there.

25. SeruraRenge

On the note of GG: I think they designed it not to be the best fighter, but to be a fighter than you just plain have fun playing, even if your opponent just completely kicked your ass.

Player 1: (match just ended) ....wow, that was fun.
    Player 2: Dude....I just got a perfect win on you.
    Player 1: I know...but I still feel good for some reason.

26. MightyWhitey

well to be fair sol was mid tier in reload plus in sbo3 didnt daigo and nuki take it? ken/chun and this year it was a yun/chun/ken so even in japan the top tiers still reign supreme.

anyways back on topic just because your like gg doesnt mean your going to like HnK they are way diffrent games at first I didnt really like hnk but it grew on me a little playing it at ffa though nobody plays it.

27. Final Ultima

If I'd have known you were interested in it, I'd have linked you to the podcasts before (when is Ask Dr. Sub-Zero #4 due, anyway?) . They are indeed hilarious.

Oh, and Duy Nguyen, thoughts on FFA 3S Ranbat 3.1?

Kenshiro, because I almost always pick main characters, tiers be damned (although it's not as if he doesn't have a couple of 100% damage combos of his own anyway). XD

Besides, Hokuto Hyakuretsu Ken, come on, what's not to love?

Cut Toki some slack, he was badass in the manga/anime. That move didn't look quite as goofy either.

Still, OTG IK, bleh.

28. Duy Nguyen

^Hmm...I enjoyed the return of the FFA RanBats. It's sad to see Edma getting rushed down like that and losing by doing a random Shoryuken twice, but Gootecks is good so yea. The Amir vs. Shadini at the end was a bit iffy, not because of the Chun vs. Chun, but because Amir was missing too many supers. It sucks to see a player of his caliber missing Chun's c.mk xx SA2. Still the recent FFA RanBat was very good and commentaries was great as always. Can't wait till the next one comes out, because according to the Dr. Sub-Zero talkshow, Amir announced that he is going ot use Ken next tournament so that should be good.

Now back on topic...I might change my mind an pick up Rei now because he's is too cool. That flying bird attack is badass, lol. Did anybody see that match video where he dragon punched the guy and did like...iono 60+ hits on one dragon punch at the wall, lol. I wonder what you have to do that, or he's mashing beyond human speed.

29. Chamcham Trigger

Rei was so cool in the anime and the movie (I liked the movie more...sue me), but I'm iffy as to how well he ranks in this game. I've mostly seen Toki, Raoh, and what appears to be shin. I'm not sure though.

But I've only seen a limited number of tourneys on google video. Where do you see the matchups...especially this one you just mentioned?

30. SeruraRenge

^there are a lot of vids on YouTube, it just takes a little searching sometimes.

Also, you dun see too many vids with Raoh in em. They almost always have Rei in em though.

here's the link to one. The rest can be found on the sidebar
    ^

jk: Kick them in the nards! :yell

TBH: But catgirls don't have nards...*shrugs, kicks*

*catgirls die*

TBH: Whoa. Catgirls have nards. :S

jk: Yeah, they're all futanaris. Cham's predilection finally makes sense. :oh