1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Horikoshi wants Shouto to lose fans

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Linkmyboy72, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

Thats the only rational thing thats making Shouto sub par in being appealing and a fully respected character. Makes him solely anchored around Endeavor (and Deku), becoming a blank slate of hypothetical power and potential to keep him relevant as a character, whom he then proceeds to make said character job or mess up specified hype aimed at making him a star student like Bakugou and Deku. Hori knows that the more he pushes Shouto down to let characters match him in fights, the less people are going to be into him becoming more interested in his rivals and the cast around him. It's Hori's fault, he wants Shouto to be boring and static because he wants his own favorites to outshine him as character and a powerhouse, he makes characters play off shouto for fun because being as powerful as him(yet constrasting him in every way) apparently matters.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Tags:
    • Deku Deku x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  2. ~VK~ The King

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

Thats what you get for being invested in a character who's damn presence is major in the story compared to fucking Juzo and Tetsu fan trolls.

4. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
  5. TrueG 37 Well-Known Member

Man, it's almost like this school is capable of making many students into powerful fighters, and not just those with op powers from the get-go.

Who would've thunk the #1 hero academy in all of Japan could do that?

:zaru

7. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well, popularity poll is near, we'll see how many fans he actually "loose", last time he almost beat Deku.

As for whole situation, Shoto bumped into same thing Bakugou faced in his first day at school. He always was a big fish, but pond has grown significantly larger, and he fail to notice this. Funny thing, readers are in the same situation as story characters, we didn't have a lot of high regards to class B, and now some people having a lot of issues because of this.

8. Guntah Well-Known Member

Brazil
    I think that if he was meant to be a benchmark characters are meant to surpass, he would've been the one to win the Sports Festival in the first place. It makes no sense, having him throw the match against Bakugou due to his personal struggles if the only purpose he was meant to serve is to be something for them to grow past.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  9. Milliardo G.L.P.

It would be boring if Shoto went into the match and just stomped them or even just won. He's more interesting because he does struggle and his backstory beats pretty much any of the other kids in the class. The fact that he is hyped and still struggles is cool to me.

They got three years of this shit in the academy so Shoto like the rest of them has to grow and learn.

All you seem to care about is power and how great the character can perform in battle.. How dare you call yourself a Shoto fan. :LOS

You would have never lasted as a Sasuke fan. :pimp

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Tayimus Number One

Dude was a Deku-fag back in ye' olden times. But I think he really went through a crisis when Deku lost Baku vs. Deku 2. He then jumped onto Todoroki.

Dude's a fair-weather fan. :catskully

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Yak Well-Known Member

Typical self-insert edge lord lul

12. Aros001 Member

Which is a weird fight to get mad over, if you think about. Throughout the series Midoriya has a lot of admiration for Bakugo's combat abilities and instincts. Generally, Bakugo is thought of as a better fighter than Midoriya, which is why that's the area where Midoriya needs the most growth in while Bakugo needs to learn to be a better person, something Midoriya has over him. That's why their rivalry works. They both need to grow in the areas the other excels at. Midoriya lost because he hasn't finished growing yet, so what's there to get mad about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  13. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    you need to think like linkmahboy to know why he's mad. He doesn't care about growth and shit, he just wants his self insert to win.

oh yeah, and he has this Bakugou hate boner so it contributes.

14. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

lol, I dunno what to say. I think this is a case of extreme self-insertism.

15. Rosanna arquette New Member

16. luffy no haki 1st seat

Lol this thread hasnt been closed yet? :skully

17. BreadBoy #1 Kale Fan

Honestly, I'm fine with it, gives us stuff to talk about in the MHA section.

18. Ye Xiu Well-Known Member

That's Pretty much how Dragon ball is more or less defined. Doesn't change the fact, in a battle shonen standpoint, Shouto comes up short and had no real comeback fights like Bakugou, who I myself am a fan and mostly care about.

Most if these posters are liars if they think Shouto still losing easy battles like this is interesting compared to all the badass moments Bakugou dominated everyone else. You people probably like Bakugou because of him winning over people like Shouto, to justify being a total dick.

And LOL, Sasuke sucked!

20. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

One of the reasons as to why I don't care for DB. :mlpshrugTodoroki is still a fifteen year old kid who is trying to get his head together along with perfecting the mastery of his dual quirk. These mock battles are all life lessons and like the rest of the students he is still learning. Lessons learned now (both in winning and losing) will benefit him in the long run. I'm okay with that.

21. Milliardo G.L.P.

Yes, you're a Bakugo fanboy I figured. There seem to be a lot of them here.

I don't care as much about power or winning a bunch of fights. Went through that with Naruto enough.

I could care less what you think is badass. Bakugo being butthurt and crying because he lost to Deku was anything but badass. He will probably always be jealous of Deku.

Bakugo is alright I guess and even comical at times but I don't really care about him all that much. There isn't much to him. He just wants to be powerful. Maybe he will surprise me though and do some interesting in this next match. I look forward to it. :LOS

True that! Gotta thank Kishi for his wonderful writing.

22. HekonoHero Member

You're naive if you think the author cares about polishing Shouto gradually to get better or is going spend that much investment on Shoutos character development compared to Deku and Bakugou, who basically beat s tier villains or in Bakugous case elite students with better command of their abilites, plus also focus on them personally through the narrative.

Hiri doesnt care about shouto and his father in growing on par with deku that much, Shouto has to share the narrative with either of them to build up a small degree of change of his already boring and static personality. Then he fucks off for 12 issues and comes back and jobs to another class elite or pro opponent.

Shouto just has to get better with his dad and that's it he finally master's his flames and acts like a bland tool as always. That's his development, he either loses or pulls a move out of his ads because it's not like h ori is going to go out his way to make him look cooler than Bakugou in being strong enough to overcome his opponent.

God I love bakugou.

23. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Hori has a continuing story line dealing with Todoroki and his family so I expect to see further growth from the character as he comes to grips with his father and learns to fully utilize his quirk. Do I expect him to have the same focus as the MC and his rival--of course not--but he is still a higher tier secondary character so I do think that Hori will continue to explore his development--especially if Dabi turns out to be his big brother.

24. Tayimus Number One

I wonder how cool it'd be to combine Bakugou's character with Todoroki's backstory... :hmm

Yes, I know I'm talking blasphemy here, but just think about it a bit...

25. HekonoHero Member

prepare for to be disappointed since he's not even connected around the main lead as much as iida and Bakugou, even as one of the main classmates Deku hangs out with or trains with.

26. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

Well, it would definitely give Bakugo a reasonable excuse for his less than stellar behavior.
    I won't be disappointed at all either way (though I do expect Hori to finish what he starts with all of his character story lines, one way or the other) as my main interest is MC Deku and his journey.

27. Tenma The Inferno

'BakuRoki' would be alot more generic than either of his parts. The aggressive rival having a perfectly normal upbringing while the friendly rival has your typical sob story is more interesting.

Bakugou being genuinelt accountable for his mistakes as a kid makes his development more meaningful and less, well, pitiful.

28. ~VK~ The King

Ugh nah. I'm so over the whole rivals having sob stories shtick.

Besides daddy issues isn't a good look on bakugou.

29. ~VK~ The King

In fact the more i think about it the more i hate the idea.

30. Aros001 Member

I think part of the reason why the current set-up works is because we have All Might and Endeavor as parallels to Midoriya and Bakugo. With Endeavor, we see the kind of person Bakugo could become if he stays the way he is, only caring about being the best and deeply resentful of the one who surpassed him. With Todoroki, we see how someone like Bakugo would harm everyone close to them as they became more and more consumed by their anger and need to win. Having Bakugo have the same backstory as Todoroki I feel would be beating that parallel too much over people's heads, to the point where it'd feel cliche. As well as maybe make it feel less like Bakugo's fault that he acts the way he does. "He's only like that because of his father" kind of thing.

A big point of Bakugo's character journey is to not become someone like Endeavor, while he and Midoriya both are to eventually surpass All Might as true heroes.