1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Horror Movie Tier List

Discussion in 'Meta Battledome' started by Nightmare13, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nightmare13

Continuing in the original vein of my posts, I'm doing this.

Note 3: Been gone for a while, but I'm back now. Gonna start working on the horror tier list again soon. It's my baby, after all. Starting a blog for lesser known verses of any kind, so shoot me a message if you want me to make a page on it for a series.

Upcoming:
    Gremlins
    MAMA
    Various Universal monsters (Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc)
    Evil Dead

NOTE 2: Adding links to the appropriate respect threads in order to make it easier for people to access them. Currently in the process of being homeless so don't have much time on here. Will return ASAP.

NOTE: This is a work in progress. It probably will never be totally finished. But regardless, input and discussion is encouraged. Any series with a (?) beside it is lacking a respect thread and thus its position in the list is open to debate. These series are in the order I think they should be from what I've seen as of now.

Rules for inclusion on this list:
    Spoiler:
    Series must be at least 10 years old, classified as a horror movie, and the original canon (or at least the most famous) must be cinema. Must be superhuman in some way, and feature a major character that, either as a protagonist or antagonist, is the defining feature of said series. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE: giant monster movies, paranormal movies (horror movies about ghosts and such), and normal human series. (low tier superhumans are fine)
    It should be obvious which ones classify, really.

God Tier: Characterized by country level threats, or characters who could life wipe

Krueger/Voorhees/Evil Dead Shared Universe (?)
    Hellraiser (?)
    Evil Dead (?)

The Grudge/Ju-On Curse (?)

High Tier: Characterized by at least town level threats, or characters who could solo an army

Halloween + Halloween H2O (?)
    (WIP)

Mid Tier: Characterized by superhuman characters who have consistently slaughtered large groups or could destroy multiple buildings

(soul transfer/immortality puts this really high)
    Paranormal Activity (?)
    The Howling (?)

Jaws (?)

Low Tier: Characterized by superhuman characters who have/could slaughter multiple people at once and may threaten a building

Wrong Turn (?)
    Splinter (?)
    Gremlins (?)

Dirt Tier: Characterized by vaguely superhuman characters

Funhouse
    Psycho

Series in progress:
    Spoiler:
    The Grudge (no interest, could use some help), Paranormal Activity (same as Grudge), Hellraiser (5 more movies), Halloween (only seen 3 of them, so got a ways to go), Evil Dead (need to rewatch 1st). The Howling/Gremlins/Monster Squad I have seen, but need to rewatch to confirm feats, as well as type up a respect thread for each.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Tags:
  2. Wolfgang Grimmer

But would it qualify? It was originally a Stephen King novel (which I never read) and I'm not sure if I should consider the canon as predominantly literary or cinematic...

If it is on the tier list, it hits top tier pretty easily from what I've heard.

4. Boomy

Pardon? From when?

Maybe Silent Hill and The Thing?

And this monster about octopus like creatures...or more like snakes or some shit. Don't remember a title.

5. Nightmare13

In the comic Freddy vs Jason vs Ash. Freddy absorbed the Necronomicon and was going to wreck some serious face until the book itself turned on him. Most of the power came from Evil Dead, but both Freddy and Jason had some crazy powers.

The Thing is more Sci Fi than most of these, although I was considering it.

As for Silent Hill, wouldn't the main canon be the games? I don't know a whole lot about it, so I can't say which came first/is more popular.

6. Boomy

You speak about canon but you consider this Necronomicon absorption to be one? It really isn't right?

And the game was obviously first and is the main source.

7. Nightmare13

It follows the storyline of the original Freddy vs Jason, which was a movie. In point of fact, the comic series was originally going to be a movie, but was cancelled for various reasons. That is the only reason why it is considered canon. And you'll notice I separated it from the canon of the 3 series it comprises.

It has also been used on this forum several times before, so I feel compelled to include it just for archival and organizational reasons.

8. Tranquil Fury

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upNphtZCvjs[/YOUTUBE]

Lovecraftian horrors grant a writer the power to make anything he writes come true, he can even make the color of reality blue. Taken to it's typical conclusion in bleak Lovecraft style with the Apocalypse unleashed
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HPFoelMQc[/YOUTUBE]

If you're going with the Grudge, the original Ju-on deserves mention as well. The curse can spread creating more wraiths and also has time manipulation powers, by the end of 2 it's implied most of the city has been consumed by it.

Ringu as well, especially considering Sadako can birth through multiple people to create an army of her.

9. Linkofone

10. Black Leg Sanji

11. Galo de Lion

Mid Tier - The Thing, The Blob

12. Linkofone

There's also 28 days/weeks and stuff like that. :maybe

13. Nightmare13

Idk, I think the Thing could be at least high tier. I'm not sure any of the high tiers could hurt the Blob either. Although I have to watch the original before I make an official decision on that, personally having only seen the remake.

EDIT: Watching the original now, then watching remake later tonight probably. Will write up a respect thread as I do.

EDIT 2: Finished the Blob respect thread, will probably do IT either tomorrow or later this week. It seems to be a very popular movie around here (for good reason, IMO)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  14. Comic Book Guy Retired Staff

The Grudge/Ju-On curse is life-wiping tier.

In Ju-On, in perhaps the farthest chronological date, the curse had consumed Tokyo.

In The Grudge, there's literally no stopping the curse. Even an encounter across with someone cursed, or just being related to a cursed victim alive or dead, you're fucked. There's no escaping it. It can get you ANYWHERE, even out in the freaking open in daylight.

The only way, so far explored, to stop the curse was some shinto ritual -- 'containing the curse' in some person. Did it work? No, not really. It's left ambiguously, but the villain is definitely not down.

15. Darth Niggatron

Your legend outlives you.

16. Arcana

Cabin in the woods would probably be God-tier

17. Nightmare13

So what else can the curse do? I vaguely remember some reality warping going on in the movie I watched, but I'm not sure... Either way it's God tier though lol

18. Keollyn Retired Staff

Grave Encounter's ghosts of the Collingwood Psychiatric Hospital got some pretty serious reality warping powers for simple ghost. Sometimes I think one of Supernatural's angel was one of its resident.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPmCJ0Gqwzk[/youtube]

so trololol

19. Neo-jplaya

Universal Monsters(Frankenstein, Dracula, Invisible Man etc) for mid-low tier.

Scream/I know what you did/Cry wolf for dirt.

Alien for high.

Dunno bout Final Destination, but since the antagonist is Death it would probably be pretty high.

20. Comic Book Guy Retired Staff

Anything new?

Lot of developments since my Wiki profile. Probably the most significant is having print publications of comics scholarship.

In terms of abilities:
    - able to curse others through 'being connected' with 'the cursed' -- being onsite a haunted place, being related to the cursed victim, etc.
    - able to be manifest and strike from virtually anywhere -- from paintings, photographs, mirror reflections, inside a phonebooth, inside bed covers, even from inside a person's goddamn clothing, even emerge from a women's vagina
    - able to engage communicative medium
    - able to possess people
    - able to reincarnate through pregnant mothers
    - above average human strength -- able to rip a person's jaw clean from the head

There's no escaping it. It's that ridiculously insane.

The third movie ritual in the US series. . . well, it 'contained the curse' within a person's body. Though, it's left ambiguous on whether that was even successful.

21. Nightmare13

That's pretty powerful. I never was much into that series but I suppose I could make a respect thread for it sometime this week.

Question: Would it be able to bypass or overpower the effects of the Dream Demons/Necronomicon powers that Freddy and Jason have? Most of what it does seems not to fair too well against them.

22. Totally not a cat

Where would you rank a tornado made out of sharks? or a Ghost shark? srs question :maybe

23. Tranquil Fury

The hospital was in another dimension as well IIRC this is a plot for the second movie. It can get you even if you enter the elevator of a hotel far away, maximum trollage.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYmDmoWrgMg[/YOUTUBE]

It can also mimic voices through them to sound like someone else. Both in the english and japanese version.

24. Keollyn Retired Staff

Too bad the second movie was utter trash, because that scene had to be one of the most trollish scene I've ever witnessed in a horror.

I had forgotten the dimension thing. Probably have to blame wanting to forget the movie for that.

25. Linkofone

26. November

27. Eldritch Sukima

The Blob is top tier, being both a country level threat and a potential life wiper.

28. Nightmare13

Phantasm, right? Don't worry, I'm getting around to it. I've had to watch multiple series at least once, sometimes twice, to get this list. :p I'm missing a lot too. Gonna do IT tonight, since I just finished the movie. Maybe do Phantasm tomorrow night.

EDIT: Thanks to Eldritch Sukima for pointing out the Blob is too low

29. Comic Book Guy Retired Staff

That'd be going into no-limits territory. . . just because the Grudge/Ju-On curse has less limitations than other horror forces/characters, doesn't mean it's more powerful.

I wouldn't say overpower.

Bypass. . . hard to say. It'd be like asking the question, what would get you first? Death by Ring/u or Grudge/Ju-On?

30. Nightmare13

Well unless someone else wants to make the respect thread, I will put that series on my list and get around to it at some point.