1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Hotel Rwanda

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by Yaman, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Yaman Celestial

has anybody seen this. I just saw it and it had me on the verge of tears a couple of time, its a really powerful movie, anyways post your thoughts!

Tags:
  2. YamiHikari 0-0

You're like the 100th person to recomend it. Everywhere I go, people are telling me this movie is truely amazing. I really need to see it.

3. IronFist Alchemist 360 BOOTY CLAP!

Same here Yami, but I gatta find someone to take with me...preferably of the female type ;)

4. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

Damn this is an old thread. Anyway, I saw this movie today and I must say, It's definately the best movie I've seen all year(thats not saying much tho). The acting is amazing and it feels like its actual footage of the Rwandan genocide. Sorry for the lack of better words to describe this masterpiece, im a lil tired right now, but I think everyone should give this movie a viewing. Extremely powerful and it really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

5. Ruri always the hours

I saw this movie a few months ago, and it affected me so strongly that I was actually shaking when it was done. It's a beautiful film though, and incredibly moving. Although graphic, it was far less graphic than I expected it would be. I'd definitely recommend this movie to anyone!

6. Lexiefaye I'm done. Your move.

yup. I loved it. Only movie to ever come remotely close to the emotional impact Schindler's List first had on me ...

7. Brandt And Beyond

Yeah, Hotel Rwanda was a really well-made movie. Really emotional and also pulls you into their lives, wondering whether they'll make it to the next day.

8. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

It's really upsetting to me that while the Rwandan genocide was happening the US didn't do shit. I only wish I was old enough at the time to make a difference. And people wonder why the world hates us. There were some great points made in the movie as well. Like what Juaquin Phoenix said about how people in the US see it, say "thats terrible" then go back to dinner. Sadly this type of thing is very true.

9. Sho Active Member

Hotel Rwanda is a good film, but they changed some things and Hollywood-ized them. For example Rusesabagina and the U.N commander never actually met in real life, and never had that conversation in that bar. If you want a better film that's much more authentic, check out "Sometimes In April". It plays on HBO, and I believe it's out, or should be out in DVD as well.

If you want a great book which explains what happens and is also very well written, check out "We wish to inform you that tomorrow we will be killed with our families" (yes, that's actually the title) by Philip Gourevitch. You'll come out with a greater understanding of what happened.

10. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

Yes it is expected in any film based on true events that some things will be changed, and what you speak of was definately an atempt to show Cheadle's acting prowess. However that really takes nothing away from the message and power this film has.

also, thanks for the recomendation, I will definately check that book out.

11. Brandt And Beyond

The character played by Nick Nolte (the Canadian colonel) was actually a composite character, or one to represent the Force Commander, Canadian General Romeo Dallaire. During my law class we did a pretty large section dedicated to the Rwandan Genocide and what General Dallaire went through. The UN basically left Dallaire and his troops to hang and dry in the country. He only had roughly 400 troops for the entire country, and the problem gets worse from there.

If you really want a book to read, read "Shaking Hands with the Devil" by Romeo Dallaire. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be a great book. It's basically his memoirs as he recalls what he went through and the frustration he felt. Mind you he wrote this book when he was in a huge state of depression so it shows up in his writing.

12. Last of the Uchihas Get your own girls, Jonas!

13. Kickmeister Member

A really good movie, definitely worth watching!

14. Omolara Sasuke Defender

Yeah, it's been out for a while now. Go buy it!!

Another good read: "A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide" by Samantha Powers

15. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

I am posting here, because more people need to see this film.

It one of the most shameful events of the twentieth century and it is unknown to MANY people.

16. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I had never even HEARD of the Rwandan genocide until this movie came out. Even if this movie wasn't entirely accurate, it definitely is an important movie and it brought a lot of attention to this horrible tragedy.

Also, allow me to fanboy. Don Cheadle is amazing. He has been amazing since The Goat, he continued to be amazing in Traffic, and he got a chance to really show what he could do in this movie. Even if you are reluctant to see this movie because it is so sad, if you appreciate great performances, you have to see this movie. Don Cheadle's performance alone makes this worth seeing.

17. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

No if you are reluctant to see this movie because of how dark it is, that is all the more reason to see it.

Small inconsistencies asides, it's a huge part of twentieth century history, and one of the ugliest parts, and the more people know, the better.

Things like this cannot be allowed to happen, and knowledge of the past is a powerful weapon for the future.

18. Dimezanime88 Tha Blak Demen

19. Morwain A great warrior fairy

I loved the movie I watched my freshman year of high school and I was sobbing in the classroom.

20. Purgatory Banned

Watched it in my Global Studies class this year, 'twas really upsetting to see such a benefitial town massacred but such brutality, falsely promised protection...sort've also symbolises that money can control people. I can understand the U.S. becoming neutral and all, but couldn't they have just at least assisted them in getting out of the a Hell hole?

21. JBarnz008 Live!