1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

How Can CD's Be Losing Popularity While Vinyl is Resurging?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by DemonDragonJ, Mar 3, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

Supposedly, CD's are losing popularity as a medium for listening to music, but, inexplicably, vinyl records are supposedly resurging in popularity.

How can that be? CD's are superior to vinyl in almost every possible way: they are smaller in physical size, they can contain greater amounts of data, and they are digital, and thus not subject to any problems that can occur with analog media.

What does everyone else say about this? How can vinyl be resurging when CD's are losing popularity, and will CD's eventually resurge the way that vinyl currently is?

Tags:
  2. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    CD's aren't old enough to be retro and brought back for nostalgia or being a hipster. CD's are just the dying tech for the activity.

3. Xiammes All For One Administrator

4. 2boskov i'm super gay and not powerful Retired Staff

Vinyl has a collector's draw and, currently, a nostalgia and hipster draw. They're collectible for people who like just enjoy the medium and they're large and easily displayed for people who want them for hipster cred, so they're just culturally fashionable right now.

5. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

Been collecting vinyl (and tapes) since long before the decline of CDs, and what really draws me (and all the people I know and talk to who collect vinyl) towards vinyl is basically three things:

1. Huge artwork, often with nice inlays/inserts and shit.

2. Vinyl is more of an experience. It's a physical experience, and there's a lot more to listening to vinyl than just the experience of the music itself. You put the vinyl on, put up the cover as art for yourself while the music is playing, you have to flip the vinyl which is something I like. And because there's a lot to it, me, and again everyone I know, tend to make even more out of it. We don't play a vinyl and then go to the computer, pick up a graphic novel or book or anything. When we play vinyl, I put all my attention towards the music. Often reading the lyrics sheet at the same time, if there is one. Usually I get me something good to drink with it as well. Good, expensive beer, a glass of fine whisky/cognac or something. So whenever I play vinyl, it automatically turns into more than just the music. It's a whole experience, something which was never the case with CDs.

3. Vinyl also has a certain texture and warmth to it that I don't hear when listening to CDs or digital files.

The only negative thing I personally can say about vinyl, which isn't something negative at all in 2018, is that it's unpractical to bring along because of its size. But I don't have any need to bring it with me, and I didn't have that need ten years ago either. Used to have a good MP3 player and now my phone. So this ain't a problem. Never has been either.

But to each their own and so on. I can to some degree understand why people don't enjoy the sound, and I can absolutely understand why people don't like the size of the vinyl or having to flip it. But it's all optional, so if you don't like vinyl just don't buy it.

For me, I don't get anything from CDs. It's the same as listening to digital files. There's no experience around it or anything, which is why I have had my CDs safely stacked in a bunch of boxes over the past 10 years. Only CDs I'll ever spend money on again is Sigh CDs, as I am a collector. But that's it. Won't buy nothing unless it's Sigh.

6. Pocalypse Well-Known Member

England
    CD's aren't fashionable. People don't go mad over having a lot of CDs in their homes while Vinyls look good.

7. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Flag:
    Portugal
    heh, the cassette scenes are where the real cultural capital is at lads.

8. Dark Wanderer In the Shadows

Vinyl sounds better to me and has a nicer
    presentation..it's nice when extra stuff like stickers are included too. However I mostly buy CDs because they are more convenient for me. A lot of albums get listened to during my ride to both jobs.

9. Mider T VM Rapist

10. Ashen-Shugar A wild romantic rover

According to a source, wood glue is helpful.

11. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

I have an .mp3 player, which I use very frequently, but I intend to collect CD's for as long as they are manufactured, for the same reasons that some people collect vinyl records: because they are nice conversation pieces, look impressive on shelves, and for the nostalgia/"hipster" value.

12. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

Who the fuck has conversations about CDs ?

:drake

13. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

I grew up in the 90's-'00 era. CDs were wack as fuck!

Good riddence

14. Aruarian Well-Known Member

Cd's are dying out because disc-drives are dying out. How many modern laptops still have a DVD-ROM slot? How many desktop PC's are being built with them? Not that many.

15. TrogdorMan Creator of cacophony

Germany
    I still use/buy CDs but only because my car has a CD player and nothing else (no tape player, so those AUX to cassette adapters aren't an option). They make an adapter for my model of car that plugs into the the back of the stereo, which I'll probably look into getting installed eventually.
    I still kinda dig CDs for nostalgia reasons, like you said, and because it's a lot easier to get them onto computers than any analog formats.

16. DemonDragonJ Cowboy from Hell

Who has conversations about vinyl records?

What about vinyl records? Are they dying out, as well?

Then explain how vinyl still exists, when it is completely obsolete and inferior to CD's.

17. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

For some really weird fucking reason you manage to come off as incredibly butthurt because no one really gives a flying fuck about your favourite shit, and you just don't want to understand the reason why. But if you spent half a minute thinking about it, you'd understand everything about it as well.

18. Ashen-Shugar A wild romantic rover