1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Anime Awards for 2017 final part commences with the main awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Dismiss Notice

How can Oda make powerful attacks more intimidating?

Discussion in 'Ohara Library' started by Zeta42, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Zeta42 Hentai

How many times has a powerful character (like a Yonko) used a scary-looking attack only to miss?

Of course, Oda can't kill off Straw Hats and other important people - at least not yet. But it's hard to take overhyped characters seriously when they fire an island-destroying attack, and all it does is cut down some trees or turn buildings into rubble (or hit nothing at all). There's no sense of threat and danger when that's all we get. How can Oda fix this problem?

Tags:
  2. Juub Well-Known Member

By getting top-tier injured without killing them. Look at how Whitebeard's punched fucked up Akainu. People use that as a testatement to his strength. Old and sick, punches an admiral and has him bleeding. Akainu is a damn monster too which makes the feat all the more impressive.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Maffy the Love Doctor Turkey can never beat cow.

Idk about making powerful attacks more intimidating, but the characters themselves still seem pretty scary when they take powerful attacks head on and are ultimately unaffected. Like when Big Mom took Luffy's most powerful attack and brushed it off like it was nothing.

4. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

I wasn't aware this was a major problem. When Whitebeard and the Admirals were going crazy in Marineford all they were doing was injuring fodder for the most part but it didn't make their attacks less intimidating. Powerful attacks will always be intimidating and hype as fuck as long as they're not pointed towards the strawhats because we know they'll get out of it.

Also this.

5. White Rabbit Doki Doki

France
    Sanji's cake gave me chills though. :obamabury

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Shrike Let's Baby

By making other characters powerful attacks/defensive abilities that can withstand that head on instead of constantly making characters dodge the impossible and just be like "whoa! that was close!".

7. Duhul10 Troll killer

I also believe there is a problem with the AOE of certain characters. Seems like Oda simply doesn't know how to make someone look like the real deal. I mean we had an entire arc with an enraged yonko, who couldn't ( or for some reason simply didn't ) dish out at least one island level attack. Not to mention that I am personally expecting way more than that from a Yonko. I mean this makes me said when comparing OP to other mangas where power equals power, not just words

8. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

I dunno bout all that. Big Mum was riding a big ass tsunami and a sun, both of which could've destroyed an island if it was aimed at one like for example puff island where the cake was at could've been destroyed easily if she dropped prometheus there.

9. Duhul10 Troll killer

How do you know that? And still, there is just "if...". We want no more if's my friend. We want to see power. We want to see destruction. Not a sun and a cloud...

10. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

Prometheus is power tho. His heat alone was destroying ships, if Big Mum dropped his ass on puff island it would've been decimated lol

11. neonlight Only God - Buggy Sama

One way to make powerful attack intimidating is through a serious comment/look from a stronger opponent. But BM being already a top tier, she should never be involced in fight against mid tiers or high tiers unless she can sauash them like bugs. Oda has seriously dented BM by making her clash against plot armored SHs. I consider WCI arc as biggest dehype for Yonkou.

12. xmysticgohanx Zoro > Law

Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    Swordsmen attacks look the best because of how easy it is to draw a huge cut

13. Typhon "The Roaring Tide"

This is a major problem I had too. Zoro shouldn't still have a greater DC feat then either Doflamingo or Katakuri, but he does. We know they're strong since they messed up Luffy, but they weren't truly intimidating on the offensive end

14. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

15. Typhon "The Roaring Tide"

Given the amount of time it takes to be effective, I don't really count it as a DC feat. Great AoE though

16. Soca The Mud and the Oil Super Moderator

I see. But even though DD or Katakuri don't have major dc feats they still specialize in other areas which makes them a threat imo.

17. Canute87 Nuke Imminent

So flamingo using overheat to slice a building in half would only prick the strawhats?

18. Dellinger Charismatic Awesome

Fujitora and WB are the most impressive visually. Oda did really well with the gravity fruit

19. Cardboard Jewsuke Draffut

20. Duhul10 Troll killer

21. Vivo Diez OBEY

It's a delicate line sometimes. Someone like Carrot or Pedro probably shouldn't be able to dodge BM's Hahaba, but then if they get hit, they shouldn't be able to survive it. Only have the strong characters like Jinbe and Luffy in BM's chase segment? But then Oda has planned out beats to set up Nami getting control of Zeus and Pedro's sacrifice. That whole chase should have been planned out better, with only Luffy and Jimbei being chased, possibly either carrying Nami so the Zeus plotline can get setup.

Most importantly, Oda is too precious with a lot of the weaker characters in WCI. Nobody outside of G4 Luffy and maybe Capone's Big Father should have survived a Big Mom attack(just knock them out if you're not gonna kill em), and nobody should have been able to block a named Big Mom attack without suffering grievous injuries, getting knocked out or killed.

That's how you build up intimidation, it doesn't even have be an island busting attack, you just see characters that you thought were the shit drop like flies against Big Mom and her commanders. Have the Vinsmokes beat some meaningful, named opponents before the tea party, build them up, then tear them down the second they go up against BM or the commanders. None of them should have been able to continue fighting after facing the commanders, especially after facing Big Mum.

22. neonlight Only God - Buggy Sama

By not having attacks which split islands/cut mountains/pulverize landscape to just cause bleeding in humans.

23. Kings punch Well-Known Member

By destroying islands or multiple islands. I would say maybe the most powerful OP character like Im or something should be continent level, like able to destroy the red line....