1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

How important is spelling/grammar in this forum?

Discussion in 'Konoha Plaza (Old)' started by akuma no omoigakenai saku, Jun 5, 2005.

1. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

I'm not sure what the rules are for posting new threads in the debate section. If this already exists or belongs somewhere else, I guess it will just have to be deleted.

I was wondering what people thought about the way people write on this forum, and on forums in general. I know it's a little easier to substitute "4" for "for", but how much time can it possibly save.

Simple mistakes are inevitable. Things like "nNaruto" or "Saksuke" are usually just caused by typing fast, or dyslexia, so they are not a problem. The ones that bother me are things like "he aint nothin", "what you got against...", and " ill c wut im doing l8r, than ill call u". the one that bothers me the most is actually a mistake, and not just laziness. "He could of done that" doesn't make any sense.

It's "He could've done that."

I just think it looks bad, and that it is doing a disservice to a lot of people on this forum who do not speak English fluently, and are learning to speak and write poorly from forums.

There are excuses, of course. When I'm really tired, I just type everything phonetically, and can't stay alert enough to write complete sentences.

Anyone else have any thought about this?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
    Tags:
  2. martryn Dick in hand

I agree completely. You're typing; its not that hard to proofread before you hit post.

3. Jackal Iscariot Ero-sennin

Indeed, but there exist a lot of people who doesnt have english as their native language so its hard for them to spell right sometimes.

And yes, this "l33t language" can be so troublesome -_-;;

4. Kitty kbw

I'm able to disregard errors caused by quick typing, or the use of ebonics (EX: He aint nothing). However, using text speak just makes you seem like a massive, waddling retard incapable of intellegent thought. I'm a bit extreme when it comes to text speak. Using dumb things like "C U L8ter" for "See you later" birthes murdering instinct in me. You don't have to type like a massive intellectual; but you type like you care. ESPECIALLY in the debate forum.

5. Haik is back

Your not the only one who hates that kind of language.
    i'm also completely against it!

But what can you do about it? Nothing...

6. martryn Dick in hand

I don't hold it against people from other nations and I try to be open-minded. Some mistakes though are too great to be blamed on language barriers, like grossly misspelling words and stuff.

7. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

I agree that it's ok for people from non-English countries. If I was posting in a Japanese forum, I'd be pissed if someone nitpicked all of my mistakes. But I'd still expect native Japanese speakers to not make it harder for me to learn Japanese by typing like don't speak it either.

Seems I'm not the only one.

Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu (you can point it out if that's wrong, I can't remember where the long vowels are supposed to go).

8. Toffeeman I WILL EAT YOU

To me, theres no excuse for having bad grammar on a forum. Not only does it show your lack of intellect (which will end up giving you a poor reputation), but it also makes it hard for other people to understand you.

As martryn said, it isn't very difficult to proof-read your posts. I always make sure that all of my spelling is correct, and I will edit my posts for as long as it takes to remove any trace of grammatical error that I've left behind..

9. Aruarian Well-Known Member

I do my best to type in the way my English teacher would've wanted me to, and I seem to do fairly well, aside from the occasional typo and such. Yes, I do sometimes put in words like 'pwn', '1337' and what not, but I don't make entire posts in bastardised English =/

10. kireato .........

Err... I feel an urge to correct the mistakes which are done in this thread... (And there are some, believe me...)

Does this answer your question? ;)

Thankfully, nobody has started using 1337 which tends to burn my eyes.

Well, nobody's perfect, so i go over the most common mistakes, but i can't stand things like l8r. Also, i myself don't make the most correct use of the language. I rarely capitalize my i and i sometimes use words which don't exist as english isn't my first language.

11. Evilsoul Guest

| |-|473 9r4MM4r \\/|-|0r35 53r|0u51`/ ||= `/0u (4|\| u|\||)3r574|\||) 7|-|3 \\/r|7||\|9 7|-|4|\| 7|-|3r3 |5 |\|0 r3450|\| 70 54`/ 50M37|-|||\|9. 4150 ||= `/0u |-|473 M`/ \\/r|7||\|9 `/0u (4|\| 90 5u(|< (0(|<.

12. Jackal Iscariot Ero-sennin

Ti-hi :amuse
    *awaits for everybody to neg rep him or/and to say some ugly words words to him*

13. rokkudaime is dead

not very important. everyone disregards it.

14. Sublime Banned

Translation for what evilsoul wrote?

15. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

16. angtu lost somewhere...

I spell some words incorrectly some times. As long as it's not every other word I think it's fine. I really don't like those internet languages though. Like LOL, OMG, or things like that.

17. Toffeeman I WILL EAT YOU

18. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Especially in the debate forum, lack of attention to proper writing (in order from most egregious to least: lack of punctuation, excessive use of chatspeak, lack of attention to Shift key, improper grammar, missing apostrophes, excessive poor spelling or typos, and overuse of colloquialisms or clich?s) kills good posts. It tends to annoy people, and (this is why it's especially important in the debate forum) it absolutely destroys rhetoric. And the advantage gained is very little (it saves at most a few seconds for a good typist, maybe up to a minute for a poor one).

19. Zhongda Active Member

if u wanna make a point:
    its important

if u jus wanna bable ny crap u thik of:
    it aint important

20. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

"I hate grammar whores[.] Seriously, if you can understand the writing, than [sic] there is no reason to say something. Also, if you hate my writing you can go suck cock."
    For those who don't speak l33t.

21. Evilsoul Guest

----
    blah blah blah blah

22. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Yay for me losing focus in the middle of my translation.

23. baconbits SSL or nothing Retired Staff

Yeah I agree with the people in here. I'm actually way extreme on this one because I almost have to stop myself from editing the spelling of a post I'm quoting. It just makes the writer look unintelligent when you have people spelling and writing at a fifth grade level. I also have two other gripes: the incredibly long paragraphs with no breaks and the noncapitalization.

The long paragraph thing makes some posts just impossible to read. If I see a post like that I almost want to just skip reading it because its hard to read where the next line is. Also the all little case letters is why spykiddo got on my nerves in the first place. You sound like a little kid when you type like that, just like you sound like you're yelling if you type in all caps.

24. Kitty kbw

I agree. No one wants to sit through and read a monotonous chunk of text. Space it out. Paragraphs are your friend.

25. Jonas Banned

im like wtf doz it matt3r @ all?

No, honestly. It's true that it's annoying sometimes but we've got to realize that many of the members doesn't have english as their nativelanguage (like me). But oh well, when i type wrong it's mainly because i look at the keyboard and not at the computerscreen :cool

26. Kitty kbw

There's a difference between not being a native speaker and purposely using moronic text speak.

27. baconbits SSL or nothing Retired Staff

True, spelling something wrong without knowing is alot better than the "OMG, you h8 her" type of talk. Keep that for the text messages. Also I've noticed that the non-native speakers sometimes have better grammar.

28. Tesh ElfQuest

I don't really pay that much attention to it, as long as I can understand the message it's generally fine. "l337" speak however I do find pretty troublesome, esp. since I can't understand any of it.

I'm not a native speaker of english, and I love it when people correct my mistakes in a friendly fashion, after all I do learn something from it. Still, people who comment on your mistakes ("It be spelled "carrot" n000bz@r!1!!"... wow, great, thank you..) just to be annoying and/or show some kind of superiority are almost as annoying as the "L337" speakers.

29. Katara The Forgotten One

I've never liked short-hand when it comes to a public viewing. I'll do it for my lecture notes and stuff that only I should be looking at or that no one else has to decode, but typing like that has never been my style. Unless I'm being sarcastic and feel like going with the flow.
    Haha, same here. My Language Arts teacher from middle school obviously did her job. :p Personally, I get slightly annoyed at the poor grammar but as long as I can read it, I don't mind what spelling they use. Up until the point that it's incomprehensible anyway. And as for 1337, I'm learning it daily from this site: it's like a new language! A little strange that the future is growing up on this but still, interesting to say the least that our text is becoming more...artistic. (@ Evilsoul: I'm astonished that I could actually decipher that nearly completely.)
    7|-|4|\| should be 7|-|3|\| though. :X
    I think it's great that you'd want your English corrected but I'm sure that not many people would know the difference between those who don't speak English as a first language and who are simply being lazy in typing. Hence the ruder responses.

30. NinjaJedi007 d[-_-]b

I personally don't care if people use that 1337 garbage because whenever I see it I skip it. If someone actually took the time to write out all that crap, then its probably not from a person with something useful to say.

Now if someone forgot an apostrophe, then I wouldn't care. I'm not that picky and something like that wouldn't matter to me. As long as it resembles English I'm satisfied.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005