1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

How is it that Synthetic Motor Oil is More Expensive than Regular Motor Oil?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Aug 10, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

Several months ago, I purchased a new automobile, and, when I had its oil changed, I learned that it uses synthetic motor oil instead of regular motor oil, which is nearly twice as expensive. The car can travel nearly twice as far between oil changes, but the higher price makes no sense, since regular oil must first be drilled from the ground and then refined, both of which are intensely laborious and expensive procedures, whereas synthetic oil can be manufactured in a laboratory very easily and inexpensively.

How can synthetic oil be more expensive than regular oil? Is the price artificially high to compensate for the fact that it is so easy and inexpensive to manufacture?

Tags:
  2. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

I feel like this something that be googled, asked in a convo thread, or VM'd.

3. Island In the Sun Moderator

Synthetic oils allegedly offer better performance in extreme temperatures and have fewer impurities in them than conventional oil. They also have additives that are supposed to clean your engine.

Also, it's more expensive because you can say you're using synthetic oil. You likely won't own a vehicle long enough for synthetic oil to make a difference, so it's mostly just the auto industry using jargon you don't understand to get you to spend more money.

You allegedly get better performance too, but for most people, any performance gain is negligible, and again, it's the auto industry taking advantage of consumers' lack of knowledge.

I worked at an auto parts store through college, and in my experience, while there are car fluids where the type matters (namely coolant and oil weight), conventional versus synthetic versus semi-synthetic is basically "buy this more expensive thing because you assume expensive means better."