1. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  2. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popularity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
  3. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
  4. ⛄ ❆ Check out the latest Newsletter-December , read it here! ❆ ⛄
  5. It's that time of the year when everyone spreads good and magic things, to enter in the Christmas Spirit full of art HVoA invites you to

✵ Join the NF Christmas Extravaganza ✵
  6. Arcade is hosting " The 2017 Arcade GOTY Awards "

Click here to know more ᵔ.ᵔ .
  7. It's that time again, where a certain lazy rodent refuses to host a wonderful NE-centric game. Come play the 2nd Mafia Game

in the Nigerian Embassy (formally known as the Chatterbox) hosted by the one and only WAD! Test your skills, shitpost like no tomorrow!

...There's a prize if you win.
  8. Greetings and Welcome to the forums! Please we ask you to lose some of your time and take a look at our " Beginners Guide " that contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun around - NF staff

Click here: " Begginers Guide " .

how much of a chance do you give new music?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Mali, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

just curious as to how long it takes for you to deem a new piece of music a lost cause or as something worthwhile (regardless of whether you change your mind at some point down the line).
    i feel like ive fluctuated between two extreme ends over the past few years, moving from snappy instant gratification centric judgements to borderline self hypnosis in the name of "openness". eventually i ended up adopting a blend of both.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. Mider T VM Rapist

Give it a chance. Just as quickly will leave it though.

3. selfconcile Member

I try not to be too dismissive because I realized how much emotional state/mood/whether I've eaten or slept/setting all matter when it comes to accepting certain music. So when I'm somewhere I don't want to be (on a long car ride, or a long day at work) it's easier to get into new music.

One of my big biases, though, is unqualified optimism towards the listener; it don't work for me as encouragement or as music. Not that I dislike positive thinking or that I like mopey music, but when I perceive what seems to be uncontextualized, generic messages of positivity, it reminds me of the toxic, forceful positive thinking I see everyday, and it turns me off.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  4. Xel'lotath An idiot train with no breaks

I listen to the radio a lot, plus I'm always curious about any new music (be it newly released or something I've never heard before) so yeah, I'm quite open-minded when it comes to it. I don't consider myself to have some refined taste. I actually let YouTube pick random new music for me quite often. I listen to shit like meme remixes and gaming raps. So yeah. I'm not a picky person. Except, I never listen to anything by my country's artists :catdefeat

5. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

the bolded is more or less the reason why i started to constantly go back to music that i disliked or was indifferent to on the first few listens. it might not be those same exact variables you mentioned for me but i agree with the overall thought. ive also found that, when listening to something from an unfamiliar genre, slowly acclimating (or straight up immersing if your that hardcore) yourself to the unique sounds and sensibilities of that genre makes for an easier musical digest. seems obvious enough.

in retrospect most of the music i tend to favour could be seen as sad in mood but i feel like im just as open to music thats unabashedly happy and postive. but ultimately i just end up searching for the darker stuff more. not sure what that says about me as a person though.

yeah yt reccs can at times be pretty great. i have nothing postive to say about radio music stations though. im constantly assaulted at work with the latest craze in pop. im probably overlooking a bunch of underground/obscure stations (is pirate radio still a thing??) but still fuck it.

6. erictheking Well-Known Member

I'll give an artist I know from previous work, or an artist I've been recommended, more time than I otherwise would. In general, I usually make snap judgments.

My guy, it actually frustrates me how much good music there is on some radio stations and how little I'm able to identify (pirate/underground radio). Way better than any YouTube or Spotify playlist.

7. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

word. choice fm was the only popular radio station i fucked with tbh.

8. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Sometimes I get frustrated at the fact that there's millions of songs out there, and that there's a song/band/artist out there that I would love forever if I heard it, but will never hear it because I have no way of finding it.

I need someone to make an app, that takes all your music likes, and dissects them thoroughly, and recommends you new things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Staff

I pursue a lot of new music regularly, and probably always will, so I can't spend a lot on a piece or album or whatever if it's not doing anything for me, but I'd never be so dismissive to just hope it clicks the first time and discard it otherwise.

10. Mali ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

yes, i too long for an infinite playlist curated to my current tastes and however they may change in the future :drool

11. Nighty the Mighty I swim in outer space

The thing is that I just listen to whatever I want to listen to whenever I want to listen to it and as such I don't ever really plan out how much time I'll give something to grow on me. If the music is boring or otherwise unpalatable then I just stop listening to it eventually - on the flipside if it's good then it's good and it gets added into my ever expanding rotation.

This question is sort of like asking how long you'll give a new book/game/tv show before putting it down if its bad - the answer is as long as a piece of string. That is to say it depends.

12. erictheking Well-Known Member

90.2 Point Blank FM and 97.9 Divine are both prolific. House, techno, drum and bass, garage, funk/soul, R&B - it's something in there for the whole family :cool

13. Vault Time: Donut of the heart

You could try this australian radio station called pbs. You can stream it online. Its run by volunteers and it covers everything. You will find so much great music you have missed out on both old and new. Its incredible

14. Utopia Realm An immortal Wu.

I go to K2nblog and listen to all types: Jazz, Rap/Hip-Hop, Ballad, Folk, etc. Ballad and Folk are my faves. But I have too many songs saved up. :catsupine