1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

How much will Kishi listen to the fans?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by RGZ_ReGZ, Nov 22, 2005.

1. RGZ_ReGZ Refined Gundam Zeta

We all know that ultimately, a mangaka and his editor's job is to make money, and more or less, they will either sway the fans to their way, or join their fan's opinion, which is especially evidental in some of the anime in this year (coughgsdcough). If done well, it can be quite good, but if done poorly, it can be an absolute piece of crap (again, the aforementioned), which is what I sometimes worry about Naruto. If Kishi only satisfy one camp, fine. But if he tries to satisfy both (or more) camp, no one is going to be happy about the manga.

So I am wondering: do you guys see Kishi as someone who will actively listen to fans? And if so, how much, and would he try to satisfy as much fan group as possible?

Tags:
  2. AmenoKitarou Evangelion Otaku

A truly honorable Mangaka, and all writers and producers etc will not be swayed by the fans hopes. Their work should solely reflected their own emotions and own ideas.

Similarly truly good audiences and readers will be able to appreciate the creators purpose and feelings of their production, not whine about what didn't happen.

3. Shiron BOING!!!

I agree with everything here:

4. funjat Where to from here Adventure?

If Kishimoto is indeed forced into a corner by fans then Naruto would just end up in a dead end like DBZ, which was totally killed by the fans.

5. FitzChivalry Person of Internet

His work's so fore-planned that even if he wanted to change something, it'd be difficult. And no, he shouldn't listen to us. He should do what he wants.

6. Mizura Meh

Which fans? The majority of KakaIru fans?

If that's who you're talking about... no. :oh

If you're talking about the majority of SasuNaru fans though... maybe.

7. mgrace Guess Who's Back?!?!?!

If Naruto fans could influence Kishimoto... Sasuke would be Hokage and the sow be renamed.... Thank goodness Sasuke fan boys have no say....

8. AceMyth What's purple and commutes?

As an artist, you could say that at least to some degree a part of his job is to write his story in a way that will leave the audience sympathetic and receptive to what has to happen later. That, however, doesn't mean that to go for any particular plot development he has to force the whole fanbase into consensus about it first. I'd only write what I felt was right if I were him - facing criticism of your story is nasty, but facing the fact that the story you wrote wasn't really the story you wanted to tell is ultimately nastier.

9. TDM Toast

I hope for the least amount possible.

10. funjat Where to from here Adventure?

lol.

i think generally Kishimoto hasn't let the masses down. hell, he got us addicted. if he stays true to his original ideas then screw the masses. i wish it were possible for kishimoto to take all his literature and lock himself in seclusion.

11. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Only Sakura's growth in the Akatsuki arc has so far been any indication of fan service....I do think however that Kishimoto really wanted (for plots sake) to make Sakura useful. So it was a 30% fanservice 70% plot thing.

Another small indication of fanservice is reintroducing all the old gennins so soon...While leaving out some more important characters. But this is very minor and doesn't affect the plot at all really.

Luckily, Kishimoto doesn't build arcs around fanservice...Like in Bleach -_-.

12. Kiyoshi The Former Avatarless

I don't think Sakura's growth was fan service. The moment Tsunade was revealed and we began to see signs of Team 7 = Sannin people were predicting this behavior. Espeacially after the weakened sannin fight.

Okay, I will concede it may have been fanservice of a type. The sakura camp would have liked her anyway. If it were fan service it is service to keep the Naru/Sasuke/Hinata/Shikamaru/Kakashi/Gaara/Hanabi/Konohomaru/that squirrel who had the exploding note attached to it/random snail - tards from stating their character was more powerful than Sakura, and their pleas to have her killed off.

13. Kibate Doesn't want a what?

he listen A LOT to the fans, though he shouldnt!
    The best example is itachi, he was changed to a bishounen just for fanservice, that totally runied his character(for me and some other fans) he is still cool, but it isnt the same

14. LZ ok...

I doubt he even comes to these forums...let alone listen to his fans

15. Kashama Sasori Of the Red sand

I'll answer this with a semi-famous quote from futurama, when bender found god in space and needed tips on being god." If you do too much, they will depend on you heavily. If you do too little, they will loose faith in you. When you do things right, people won't be sure if you did anything at all"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  16. Last of the Uchihas Get your own girls, Jonas!

Fuck the fans.

I'm the one writting a story not them.

So a mangaka would listen to them, but he doesn't have to do what thye say, since it might sacrifice future plots.

17. Potentialflip One Last Stand

How would you know that?

Anyways on topic. If Kishimoto did listen to the fans Sasuke would have been back by now. I always have believed most of the other nins would have reappeared after the last arc with the exception of Sasuke. I believe he already knows how the story is going to end and hopefully he sticks with that ending. All he has to do is build up the arcs that reach the end.

18. korican04 ftp-nin

Do we know what the fans in japan want? Cause he could actually be tailoring it to them or maybe not seeing as they are the ones making him money.

19. Kami-Sama The one with the Lesbian Avy.

Well gaara was revived in the cheapest way possible, with no reason whatsoever....

neji and chouji survived...

rock lee recovered....

shikimaru was rescued by azuma...

so yeah....kishimoto is a fan bitch..

20. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

Shikamaru being rescued by Asuma was obvious, no way would a character who had JUST revealed what they were capable of get killed like that.

But yes I agree, Bringing back Gaara, Neji, and Chouji was bad. However before you cry fanservice look at the rest of Shonen Jumps titles...Naruto actually has the most death among them.

21. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

I wonder how much he'll listen actually. I'm guessing that he will. I'm only basing this off of his admiration for Akira Toriyama though. The whole Buu saga of DBZ was altered because of what the fans wanted.

22. Tsukiyomi Crazy Cyborg Monkey

Thank you, someone said it. If you don't like the way the story is going, read another or write your own.

23. Mizura Meh

Alright, maybe I should put it another way:

Kishimoto doesn't listen to fans, no. But he Will orient the manga in a way that appeals to the masses. After all, this is a shounen manga that's supposed to sell first. He won't suddenly kill off favorites such as Gaara, Shikamaru, Neji or Sasuke, he won't suddenly have Naruto become a disillusioned drunkard and make half the girl cast turn into prostitutes (well, such a pessimistic turn of things would appeal to Some people, but it'd be a big shock to the primary target audience of younger teens). He won't compromise the story just to satisfy fans either (we won't be getting a Kakashi / Iruka hot yaoi arc anytime soon, and even if a secondary character turns out more popular than the main ones, that character won't suddenly become the focus of the story), but when faced with two choices that won't harm the main storyline, one that'd make the fans happy and one that won't (such as leaving a popular character alive), he'd chose the "make fans happy" path.

24. icoselitham Lost

Kishi has surprised me time after time so i assume he's not taking plot ideas from these forums.

25. Shisui is dead

That's true, but on the other hand, you still have to please your audience. If a writer tries too hard to resist fan-service he just moves into the other extreme - self-indulgence (*cough* Evangelion episode 26 *cough*).

I think the main problem is that by giving your fans what they expect, you're no longer surprising them, just making them comfortable. And when you allow your readers to become complacent with your work, they lose interest because it's no longer exciting.

The key to good storytelling isn't just giving fans what they want; nor is it denying them what they demand. The key is WITHOLDING the good stuff until just the right time (and having enough good stuff to keep the cycle moving).

26. Sunuvmann <font color="##5262fc">of the Rebellion</font>

Honestly I wouldnt be suprised if Kishi has an account on NF and uses it to spy and see how his ideas mite go by...

And he's probably laughing at our idiotic theorys

27. Mizura Meh

Can he even read English? :huh He'd be more likely to be spying on Japanese forums, if such forums exist...

28. Sunuvmann <font color="##5262fc">of the Rebellion</font>

oh yeah....maybe? dunno... well hes always got assitants...

29. deathbychocolate Member

well said, after all, its their passion that led them to creating their own manga.

30. AdreneLyne Hatake●Kakashi ~

You're an idiot. Obviously they would put Itachi as Hokage

:p

And Meh, fans of KakaIru are no different than fans of NaruSasu