1. The first My Hero Academia Banner Contest is here! We are pleased to invite you to participate.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest,

The Konoha Country Club is hosting its first Poetry Competition!
    The theme of the competition is "What does friendship mean to you?"

If you are interested in entering, please click here.

-- NarutoForums Staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice
  7. [​IMG]

House of Uzumaki has a new banner contest! Please, check here for details and place your vote.

Dismiss Notice

Tutorial How to Draw and Color - vervex's style

Discussion in 'Art 101' started by vervex, Jun 3, 2007.

1. vervex Art prevails!

Tutorial made by vervex​

You wish to improve your art skills or simply to learn how to draw in general ? Here's a tutorial of mine that can help you :) It explains step by step how to draw and color a regular drawing, anime or else. Of course, it's 100% subjective. It's my way of drawing after all, my own experience.
    I hope it will help though.

Let's start !

Step 1 - The Sketch
    First, you have to choose your subject and sketch it. I chose to draw one of my original characters, Kazeko. I personally like to sketch in red. I feel that this way I can catch the details better, and it's easier to do the lineart after. You can sketch without many details, or with a lot (just like I did now). The more details you put, the less work you'll have to do with the lineart. Just keep that in mind.

Step 2 - The lineart
    Then, you have to do the lineart. As I said previously, if your sketch is very detailed and clear, it will be easy to do your lineart. To get clear lines like mine, you have to use the smallest brush you have, so brush 1 px. Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but the results are fantastic. I usually work on a picture that is 700x700 px so I zoom 200-300%. Anyway, I get what's the most important from the sketch and make a black and clear lineart on a new layer.

Step 3 - The lineart cleaned
    I make invisible the sketch layer, and here we are with the black lineart ! Of course, you'll have to clean it a bit for it look like that. Erase the useless lines and make them clear.

Step 4 - Flat colors and first shadow
    When I color, I go section by section. Some artists prefer to put the basic colors on the whole drawing, then to add the first shadow, then the second... but this confuses me. I start by the skin. I choose the skin color I wish (very white in this case) and then add a first shadow. In Photoshop Color Picker, some years ago, I used to pick a color in the same tone bit below in the color picker, but I realized it would give a brownish skin tone that I didn't always want. So now, I just put the arrow closer to the orange/reddish spectrum. That way, I can get a skin that looks "pinkish" instead of "brownish". That's just a detail, but oh well...

Like I said, I choose where the light comes from (here is front right) and put the shadow according to that (so more to the left).

Step 5 - Second shadow and light effects
    I choose a color a bit darker and reddish and put a second shadow. It looks more realistic. When I'm done with that, I sometimes use the Blur tool a tiny bit in places I find the shadow not blurred enough. Don't use it too much though or you'll loose the whole texture you gave to your drawing. Use it wisely. Then, I select a pale color and I put it in places where the light could be reflecting (here, cheek bone, nose, Adam's apple, muscles, chin, etc.). Don't overuse it too - your drawing will look way too shiny.

At the end of Step 5, you know how to add flat colors, put the shadow and the light. Now you might repeat this for all the colors of the drawing, except the hair.

A little advice, what helped me the most to master these shadowing skills was to draw realistic portraits. Believe me, you learn a LOT. And don't get discouraged if you fail at your first - we all do. Took me like 3-4 attempts to make something good.

Step 6 - Clothing
    For the clothes, it's the same process: flat color+ shadow 1 + shadow 2 + light. I add another layer for the clothes of course. I do that so that I won't put blue all over Kazeko's skin and have to re-do it after, which is a pain in the ass.

Step 7 - The Hair
    The hair. The hair has many steps also. And here they are:

Hair step 1: You choose the flat color and add shading where you think there should be. like on the face, like on the clothes.
    Hair step 2: You choose a brush size 2 px (or second smallest) and you do hair strikes, curved, starting the closest as possible to the root. In the two colors you've used until now.
    Hair step 3: You choose a shade a bit darker and then come back to brush 2 and do more dark hair strikes.
    Hair step 4: You pick a lighter color and pass it on the light spots do do reflection. Then you take brush 2 and do light hair, especially in the light path.
    Hair step 5: You choose a very pale color (close to white) and pass a blurred brush horizontally where the big reflection should be. Then, with the same pale color, you select the palest hair and make them even paler, with brush 2.

And that's it. Now you have hair ! :D

Step 8 - The Background
    Then you have to add a background. When I'm lazy, I don't put any. When I'm a little bit motivated, I use simple brushes to do a design, like this one. Clouds. Be imaginative. You can draw a mountain, a field or even other characters. :)

>>> As I am restricted to 10 pictures, the finished drawing is in the following post.

~ Photoshop CS2
    ~ Intuos 3 (tablet)

Comments and questions ladies and gentlemen ? ;)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
    Tags:
  2. vervex Art prevails!

You can leave a little comment here if you wish also:
    therahedwig

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  3. Foretold Join the SotW today

Awesome. I will diffenately look at this the next time i draw.

5. vervex Art prevails!

6. Kool ka lang -----------

Nice job with the pic and tutorial vervex :thumbs

He looks like a bleach character dont he?

and I'm liking the background.

7. vervex Art prevails!

Yep XD The original drawing title was supposed to be Kazeko Bleach Style ;) I wanted to draw my other characters Naruto, DBZ and Clamp style :p Which I still plan on doing ;)

8. Kyubii Yoshi Yoshi Lover~~

You're making me jealous I only can draw stick-figures:(
    but I will try your way next time

Thanks Vervex

9. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

It's a nice tutorial, but even though I know the techniques, I am going to semi-critique it by asking how you applied the shadows?

Like, what kind of brushes did you use, what kind of flow and opacity, not to mention the softness and airbrush effect.
    It's perhaps a bit silly to hear that from me as we both know the technique, but newbies might not know them...

So I just wanted to point that out, but aside from the brushes info missing, I think it's a nice tutorial. :)

10. vervex Art prevails!

This tutorial is very general but oh well...

If anyone wants to know what type of brushes I use:
    In Photoshop CS2, you have sets of round brushes. The first one is composed of round and sharp circles. So no. The second set are blurred circles. Don't use them. You can try and you'll understand why. NOW, the third set of circular brushes from Photoshop is the one that I want. The sizes by default at 9, 13 and 19. But I put one of them at 1px for doing the lineart. For the hair, I put it at 2px, like I explained in the tutorial. To color, I take a big one, depending on how much space I have to feel, how big my shading must be... etc. Use your head. :p I never change the opacity because this brush responds to the pressure you put on your tablet. So for me, always 100%. If you know how to use your tablet and pen, you'll have no problem. As for the lighting effects, after this 3rd set, you have a 4th of blurred brushes. Use that one. It starts by 17, 45, 65, 100, 200, 300. I'm typing this from memory so I could be wrong but it's something like that. Don't hesitate to make them smaller if needed.

Voilà :)

11. Therahedwig Parodie Nin

Intresting, I mainly use the sharp rounds and switch from opacity 50 for crude shading to opacity 8 for subtille shading.

I rarely use the soft brushes because I feel I can't control the shading, or rather the transition between colours enough... Everything get's so blurry then and that's not something I like.
    I guess this shows one of the main differences between our colouring styles...:)

12. Squigi Burdened Drifter

damn... i'm gonna say this again: i love the way you color

13. vervex Art prevails!

14. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

how long does it take for u to usually finish coloring a picture

15. vervex Art prevails!

Depends. For a drawing like this, I'd say somewhere between 2 and 4 hours. I can do it in different sessions. When I do a realistic pic, the time doubles. In fact, the more details, the more time I spend on it.

16. Halcyon Days Kazekage Lee

17. UchihaSakura Sasusaku愛

You are very talented your coloring and lineart are amazing. This is a great tutorial. Do you use a tablet or a mouse?

18. vervex Art prevails!

@UchihaSakura
    I use an Intuos 3 from Wacom tablet :)

19. kirakira cut cut cut

20. Kaiwai GB's Angel

This is a great tutorial. :D Helped me lots. Thanks Vervex.

21. Jackal Iscariot Ero-sennin

ahhh so that's how you color hairs marvelous tutorial vervex ^^ I used to have trouble choosing the right tutorial to color hair and i guess yours are easy and understandable to use :)

23. Byakuya Retired

Thank you, vervex. This is a superb tutorial and no doubt it'll help me in the future.

24. Yakushi Kabuto Socks Activate! Shape of a

Oh, a nice and simple tutorial, I blur way too much. :p

25. vervex Art prevails!

Thanks guys :) I'm really happy this is useful ! :)

@Yakushi Kabuto
    Blurring is so easy that you tend to overdo it... I perfectly know what you mean as I passed through that before :)

26. Sai Die you ass-kisser!

@ Vervex ~ Do you smudge the hair after you've finish the last part? or do you even use smudge tool to smudge hair?

PS : I'm planning to color skin without the lineart, do you know how can i get rid of the lineart? :x sorry to trouble you with all these noob's questions lol

27. Hitomi =^● ⋏ ●^=

Good tut. makes me wanna get off my lazy ass and draw something lol. Seriously, my skills are getting rusty ><

28. Freiza Banned

this was a great tutorial!

29. vervex Art prevails!

I do exactly what's on the tutorial, no more, no less :p I actually never use the smudge tool !
    What I do for the skin without line art is like what I do with a portrait hmm... I draw directly on the layer color with a dark skin color the same lines as the lineart and as I blend the skin and all, the lines get more natural or I re-do them better. I should do a tutorial for that too :p

30. Sai Die you ass-kisser!

ahhh so that explain how to get rid of lineart thanks for the info Vervex :) Maybe i should stop using smudge tool for hair as it will damage the whole coloring :p