1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for the Contest Central Drawing Contest is live!
    Entries can be found here and the voting threads can be found here and here.
    Voting ends on Sunday, June the 30th!
    Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

5. The KCC is hosting a Short Story Contest!
    Entries are due by July 9th at 2:30am UTC!
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind is DoomeD.

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Negative-Ion, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

Thats right folks, be glad you were born while this earth still is young. When wars, volcanos, hyrdogen bombs, depleted natural resources and the the sun goes black are done with this earth we all gonna die.

Here is why, even if we develop a technology to travel to another planet that is similiar to earth environment it will take a few hundred light years. This means we need to reproduce in a environment with no gravity. Gravity is what makes us walk, yes indeed it does. Gravity is the force that makes our muscles work, it makes our bones dense, and it makes us understand what is up and what is down. Gravity is also the one force that we need to take with us if we plan to leave this planet.

With no gravity onboard of our super spaceship, every baby that is born will not know what is up and what is down. Experiments done on mice has shown this. It took those mice that were born in outerspace atleast 3 days to get used to earth's gravity even tho they were in outerspace only 2 weeks after they were born. Now thats not the only issue, with no gravity, our bone density will degrade, our bones will crack and we wont even notice it since we would flow. So this takes us to the other issue, even if we reach a planet with gravity, it doesnt matter if its the same gravity as Earth or not. As soon as we step out of our spaceship and feel gravity, we will colapse. Our bones will break and our internal organs will feel a tremendous pressure. All in all, our bodies will fail on the spot.

To conclude, we are done for, if we dont develop some artificial gravity system that will cover a whole spaceship, the human species will die when this earth dies.

Tags:
  2. Haruka modkop

I've never though of this subject so deep. You have a great point there. But it'll take a crap load of time to make artificial gravity.

3. Key #1

I'm glad im living right know! dont want the world to end like the matrix but without the robots.

4. batanga 6 1 15-45 300

They do have artificial gravity devices (a twin-platform that spins around when pedaled) in space ships nowadays, but that´s not a solution good enough for this.

5. Jonas Banned

Yes. The humankind is doomed. When Allah decides it - then yeah we're doomed ^^

6. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

Why do you have to bring your god in this piece of shit. Not once did i see the word "allah" or "god" in this topic until you posted.

This thread has nothing to do with god, it has to do with technology, outerspace travel and what will it take for us to survive if we leave this planet. And your god is not part of the equation, infact he never was.

7. dragonofraven Master of elemental knowledge

Hey, don't mess with someone because of their religion. Wait, aren't you the guy also dissed on homosexuals in another thread? Dude, you have a problem, seek help fast.
    Now, on to the discussion. I agree that the earth is doomed sooner or later, it's a fact that we're all going to have to face. But, if our technology improves well enough to create a spaceship in which we can travel to other worlds, I think we'll be able to create some sort of artificial gravity drive suitable for us to use so that our bones don't get weak.

8. General Shino Member

9. Dilemma CRY ME A CAKE

Watch the 'rotation' part.
    Problem solved.

10. Id The Demon of Elru

Well fuck its not like we are soppose to live for ever. All good things must come to an end.

11. lucky Wants the Custom Title.

i'll let my great grandkids worry about that.

12. Id The Demon of Elru

Well its time to stop holding back and your the other 90% of our brains to fix things..............

13. Nemesis The Sith Lord Moderator

Flag:
    Sokovia
    don't worry we will get the artificial gravity spread over the universe and then die out when the universe goes. Which means yes we are still doomed

14. Meijin Smile

15. Razgriez Banned

I dont think such a thing will be happening in our lifetime so there really is no point freaking out or dwelling on the issue.

16. CABLE S'okay guys, I know blacks.

I don't think such a thing will happen for a long long time.

17. sonnie_skies Braving the Rain

humankind isn't going to make it that far.

18. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Actually, we have a really simple way of creating artificial gravity.
    Make the ship spin, and have it set up with the outside of the ship as the floor. Centripetal acceleration causes an effect similar to gravity that pulls people to the outsie of this ship.
    Multiple floors could be made as rings, although each would have a different "gravitational" force.

19. earthshine Banned

see, the problem here isint that we need gravity, the problem is there is no ship that can carry enough supplies for us to live for all the thousands of years it will take us to travel far enough to find a new planet, especially not at our current speeds

20. uncanny_sama Que Veux-tu

dude havent you watched dragon ball z?
    all you need to do is train not stop for 7 days with wheights that compensate for the gravity and voila

you can withstand gravity times 5000

21. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Actually, if we avoid population growth while on the ship, we will need very few supplies... about two weeks to a month's worth.
    Almost everything we consume leaves the body via secretion or excretion and could be recycled for reuse. We would simply need the proper techniques and sufficient energy to return it to its original form.
    So basically, we'd just need enough nuclear fuel (or the means to make enough in transit) to run generators for that long.

22. Yasha Procreate

Flag:
    Japan

If we want to migrate to another solar system, reproduction in the spaceship is not a very good idea. Human population grows geometrically and imagine how many people there will be after a few hundred years(assuming that human technology is advanced enough to reach there in such a short time because even the nearest star to us is 4.2 ly away). We will need a super gigantic spaceship to accommodate such a huge population. We will face both technical and financial problems in building one of these Noah Arks. So perhaps the most ingenious idea so far is human preservation involving cryogenic technology or any other similar ideas. We can put the "migrants" into hibernation state either by keeping the bodies under low temperature or by injecting tetrodotoxin(pufferfish's poison) into them and revive them only after landing on an extrasolar planet.

As for the artificial gravity, I think we are able to make it right now--just stick a weak magnet under your shoe -_-

23. Razgriez Banned

Another world war or a world wide disaster or plague would thin the odds and easily contain the population. We are overdue to an plague anyways.

The odds are pretty good for a meteor taking out a good portion and world war doesnt look too far off.

24. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Yasha: That kind of artificial gravity wouldn't help the arms.
    Centripetal-acceleration "gravity" is the easiest solution; we can do it now, and it perfectly mimics gravity. You just wouldn't be able to have any windows to the stars inside the ship because with the spinning, it would just make people very dizzy.
    That, and lateral control of the ship would be EXTREMELY difficult.

As far as reproduction, it doesn't increase the population if controlled; rather, it simply preserves the population. Cryofreezing is not something we can do right now; running nuclear generators and recycling nutrients is.
    We could build the ship(s) completely with current technology, which is incredible.

25. Haruka modkop

Centripetal-acceleration would be hard to manage, because when you send the ship into space, what would stabilize the ship course?

I believe Cyrofreezing is something we can do right now. With all the research done on venoms, and toxins, i'm sure there is a way that can make you unconcious for a period of time.

Nuclear Generators will require high amounts of water and heat inorder make that work. And the efficiency of Nuclear Generators are low.

26. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

Incorrect. Cryofreezing can only currently be done on small amounts of tissue... they can't even freeze organs.

New cooling systems would be essential. But all other current power generation methods require large amounts of fuel.

27. Yasha Procreate

Flag:
    Japan

You can put magnets on your arms and any other body parts to mimic the weights we have on Earth.

If we are going to abandon our lovely Earth and migrate to another planet, we must have a considerable amount of population to ensure our survival. No one knows what will happen to us in an alien environment. Maybe 99% of the migrants can't survive the new environment. So we must keep our population at a fairly high number. With such a huge population, we will definitely face various kind of problems like food, space and even relationship problem(I believe no matter how civilized human beings are, this problem will always exist).

I have yet another idea. We can use the cryogenic technique to preserve millions of in-vitro foetus. When we arrive at an inhabitable environment, then we will "incubate" them in the artificial wombs. These are all technologically possible. The only problem is how are we going to educate them. Maybe we still need to preserve a few adults to go with them.:laugh

28. Haruka modkop

Again, Vash has stated the cryogenic technology we have now can oly freeze tissues, not organs.

29. earthshine Banned

you see, the biggest problem is in the womb.

we need gravity in the womb to help our development, I forgot how, but without it, ur bones will be weak, your muscles will be even weaker, and since even normal earth born infants are very fragile, imagine what these will be like. move wm too quick and their neck snaps

30. Yasha Procreate

Flag:
    Japan

We can't preserve an adult without killing him yet, that's why I put a smily at my last sentence:laugh . But we have no problem preserving a foetus.

Actually it depends on our purpose to migrate. If we are not going to colonize the other solar system but just to escape from our doomed Earth and to ensure human survival in the universe, we probably don't have to consider that much. We will just "incubate" the foetuses and let them evolve independently on the new planet, just like our human ancestors thousand years ago. But we will definitely need to find a planet with oceans and plenty of oxygen to ensure their survival.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005