1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Hunter x Hunter Chapter 388 Spoilers/Discussion

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Yasha, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Zef Dark Magician

A problem doesn't stop being a problem just because time has lapsed.
    :distracted

2. Yasha Procreate

Kurapika is basically doing what the scarface girl is doing.

3. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

rofl

The last three pages of the current were absolutely hilarious!

Especially the third to the last one. Its literally a wall of texts which contains 1233 words.

Its like reading a printed version of your credit card’s terms and conditions :hestonpls

HxH should be a novel tbh. Its no longer a manga. And there’s hardly any fighting at all.

4. Yasha Procreate

It's a test. Togashi wants to weed out fake apostles like you.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. KidTony Angry Cock

Yes, because all mangas need to have fighting, its in the definition of manga in the dictionary.

6. Katou Tsundere

wait Hxh is back?

7. Katou Tsundere

shit

gotta catch up

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

So HxH is not a fighting manga?? So you’re agreeing that it needs to be a light novel instead?

9. Milliardo G.L.P.

Light novel idea sounds awesome. :LOS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Keishin Well-Known Member

what problem

11. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

That's its supposed to be a graphic novel aka manga? I think it's legit when people criticize having pages full of thought bubbles. You can have complex themes portrayed through balancing text and pictures. When you only resort to text in a graphic medium, doesn't that kinda miss the point of the whole thing?

12. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Never really got this argument.

So what if it's a graphic novel? Does togashi not use graphics to make his points as well? Kurapika's face during the end, Tserri's emotes when he was figuring out nen, etc.

It's a creative medium and togashi like complexity and layering. He puts us in the mental shoes of everyone involved instead of simply using narration or sticking to the perspective of major players only.

I'm not saying everyone has to love it, but it's kinda some of the foundation hxh is written upon.

13. Stilzkin Well-Known Member

It doesn't miss the point, it hasn't resorted to only using text.

If there was an arc that was purely text than I would agree that you can't really call it a comic at that point. Having a lot of text in a comic doesn't make it any less of a comic.

I also don't find the arguments that a good comic should express itself through pictures rather than text convincing. The rule of "show don't tell" exists at least partially as content that could otherwise be expressed implicitly is done explicitly. Togashi isn't using text as lazy way to get certain points across. He is using text to express the different characters' thought processes, something that at best could be done with charts (which he is actually using in this arc). He is still opting to use pictures where words are not necessary (see Melody's and Keeney's conversation).

14. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

But the art style suck and most panels have that 500 word quota.

If Togashi can’t draw or having a hard time drawing a manga, then he should switch to writing a light novel. I mean, it would be easier for him.

He can just instruct the animators if he wants the rest of the chapters animated right?

That 3rd last page is pure example. Its literally white spread wall of texts its fucking funny man :hestonpls i didn’t even read a single word lmao

15. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

I can’t remember YYH being this awkward to read lol

16. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

I think the issue is that there is too much text being used in conjunction with too little being shown - though this was a pretty extreme example, I admit. Cause tbh, I've binge read HxH and I don't remember having SO much text till now (my memory is kinda faulty though, I admit).

And if you think about it, you can have the exact opposite criticism, e.g. in Bleach's case, when you have empty panels just for the sake of it (others might interpret it as minimalistic or whatever).

I also admit to being a bit biased, since I particularly enjoy manga as a visual medium, but on the other hand I've enjoyed reading Monster, which was pretty wordy too and I really liked the politics chapters in Kingdom for example. So I'd say it's about the presentation, the substance and how much you enjoy reading about it. And I'm not too much into the technical stuff in HxH, but I understand it if you guys are. I just ask myself how the casuals are able to hang on :lmao

17. Pyriz The Magician

Found a really interesting post on reddit regarding this topic:

18. Jake CENA BAH GAWD KING, IT'S JAKE CENA!!

See?? I’m not the only one complaining. And everything is a legit complain. Some people are just blind with their fanboyism over Togashi. He’s not the best mangaka. He’s lazy af. Don’t give him too much credit. These minor characters suck and no one will give a shit about them after this arc or when they get killed off.

But the poster still defended Togashi and was contradicting himself. This can’t be considered a manga when 80% of the chapter are texts. The Hisoka vs Chrollo fight looked terrible and it looked like it was drawn by a 4 yr old child. The art was way worse than Toriko that you can’t even tell what the hell is going on in the panel.

If Togashi is sick and cannot draw then he shouldn’t force himself to draw because he can easily write a book instead. This poss poor excuse of a manga is not doing him any favors.

As if all this shit will matter when it gets animated for all the 1200 words per page we got from the manga, will it even extend the duration of an episode for like another 10mins?? Lol no

I’m not saying its bad storytelling but seeing a wall of texts is an eyesore for a fighting manga like HxH and the pace is slow af and nothing really progresses because Togashi is wasting time trying to explain a gimmick that no one gives a fuck about. And by the time something interesting happens like Hisoka killing another Spider, Togashi will fucking troll you guys and will announce his hiatus. And you guys still worship him? Lmao

We need to see Beyond fight the Zodiacs or the Spiders not this stupid detective shit

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  19. Pyriz The Magician

You shouldn't try to speak for everyone here, because I am fully invested in the Princes and their bodyguards. To be honest, I'd be perfectly okay if we didn't get anything on the Zodiacs or the PT for the rest of this arc. Also, this isn't new. Togashi has always put a lot of stock into minor characters, and they're always very well-written IMO. He did it a ton in the CA arc, and GI, Yorkshin, and HA to a lesser but still noticeable degree. He's always taken breaks from the main storyline to explore side characters and their stories.

This is a pretty obvious exaggeration lol.

This is entirely subjective, so I won't argue it. If that's how it looks to you then it is what it is.

This part not so much. I was easily able to follow the action scenes of that fight.

The art is still an integral part of HxH. As the guy from that reddit post mentioned, the chapter with Halk and Nasubi is a great example of how powerful and important it still is in the story.

I'm not sure the anime will ever come back, and if it does, who cares? You shouldn't have to alter the original source to make it convenient for the adaptation.

Is it still just a fighting manga though? I think it's pretty obvious that Togashi is testing the waters and taking the manga in different directions. If you don't like the direction it's going, that's fine, feel free to see yourself to the exit, but I don't think it's reasonable to judge it as just a fighting manga anymore.

I give a fuck, I love it. But again, this is pretty subjective so I won't try to argue it.

Honestly I think the succession war is far more interesting then the Hisoka vs Troupe beef.

Change "we" to "I" and sure

20. SupremeKage Hunter x Hunter > ur fave

There's literally no problem with the texts. It's only MS's translation that tend to be excessive and convoluted. A simple solution is to read VIZ which is simple and concise, if that doesn't fix anything for you then proceed to complain. But as of now I see no problem.

21. Katou Tsundere

I read a lot of Light Novels lately ... wall of text is fine with me :blobcoffee

22. Azure Ihrat Pace is the Trick Retired Staff

top-quality 388 shitpost by /u/zeephuric:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  23. Yasha Procreate

Togashi has a distinct style or genre for each arc. Wordiness and elaborate strategies is the style for current arc. If you really can't stand it, why not drop this arc and check back later when we enter the new arc. I'm fairly surely Dark Continent arc will be much more action-oriented and less wordy.

24. Brian           

Page 18 had nothing but text, nothing visual besides 2 panels. Some panels spread throughout the chapter are like this too. it's getting pretty ridiculous at this point

25. Donquixote Doflamingo Master Puppeteer

26. snakeeater Well-Known Member

LOL

So basically, people don't like to read and they want to see pictures and fights. How cute. We should probably give them milk, cookies, and crayons, too!

27. snakeeater Well-Known Member

A comparison of Manga Stream and Viz:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  28. BlueDemon On A Mission From God

You might all of that too, because apparently you don't really do reading comprehension :maybe

Yeah, that is way more concise. The panels are still full of text though...

29. snakeeater Well-Known Member

Still too many words? Damn! LOL Apparently, it's 360 words vs. more than 500 words.

But I get it, people want pretty pictures when they have to read. Otherwise, it's just a chore. LOL

That page takes less than a minute to read, and English isn't my first language. LOL

30. Stilzkin Well-Known Member

One bad thing I will say about all this text is that MS's translations become useless.

The point of the middle panel is basically lost in the MS translation.