1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Hunter x Hunter Chapter 389 Spoilers/Discussion

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Feitan Blitzes, Nov 14, 2018.

1. snakeeater

Well, Benjamin and Camilla's subordinates have their own uniform, and the more relevant ones appear frequently, so it's not really that hard for me.

2. SupremeKage

Togashi did say in a interview that he’s trying to break the record of most characters in a arc.

What makes this frightening is that most of the new characters introduced are pretty smart & competent, so the process of them dropping like buckets will definitely take more time than we originally thought thus making a much longer story. I don’t mind tho because I love every minute of it and it’s a breath of fresh air. You really don’t see other series doing this, especially with a large cast of characters.

3. Stilzkin

Are people really having trouble remembering the characters? I can understand how that could be the case for people skimming through but for people actually reading the chapters shouldn't have too hard a time. You don't need to remember every name to keep up, just having an idea of who is who is enough to follow along. Even if you couldn't remember a certain character it takes at most two seconds to google some information from the hxh wiki.

4. Keishin

he could have introduced us to 100 characters of camillas army and itd change nothing (though he already made a list of how many there r so yeah), all you have to know is Untouchable, will to die or the curse of suicide. plenty to make someone understand what they r doing and for who. Similarly when someone kills someone and 'levels up' that's obviously one of Morena's and she has even more working for her than Camilla.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  5. Zef

Sorry but I'm calling bullcrap.

You telling me you remember the face and name of every prince, bodyguard, and mafia member introduced?

There has been at least 50 characters introduced since the arc began, and thats a generous number.

That cult lady few chapters back, with the crown of thorns had like 20 followers alone, and they were all introduced in ONE chapter.

All together we're looking at about 100 new characters and Togashi is still introducing more.

Only way anyone is remembering all these characters names and faces is if they have eidetic memory, or have re-read the arc numerous times.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. ainzowngoal

So did another of Benjamin's guards get mind controlled by Halkenburg? And Benamin's best action against Halkenburg is to send him to jail? Halkenburg seems like the clear favorite right now. He can shoot his arrow at anyone and not get punished for killing them, while if Benjamin wants to take someone out, he has to be all sneaky and assassinate them. Eventually Benjamin's gonna break and he'll wanna go force a fight just like what Camilia did.

7. Milliardo

Well there is also the problem of the hiatus too. All these characters with such a long break at times does get pretty challenging to remember them. You would have to re-read or be a robot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. snakeeater

You make it sound like you have to remember all of them in one chapter. For example, the only Morena subordinates I remember are Luini and the woman that lied to Mizaistom, but that's okay because the other Morena subordinates aren't relevant right now. The same thing happened with Benjamin's soldiers; he introduced all of them in one page, but as the story went on, I can recognize the faces of more than half of them, which are the ones that are most relevant right now. The same thing is happening with Camilla's subordinates and all the other characters in this arc. They're suddenly introduced, and then we see more of them as the story goes on. I can already recognize most of the people that Kurapika is training, which are the relevant ones.

9. Bohemian Knight

Not to mention that some of these characters appear in one chapter and then are followed by 6 months of hiatus and the story focuses on a different set of characters when it picks back up. I'm with you.

You can keep up with all this if you're diligent. But there's no denying that it's a hefty task when considering the breaks and the sheer volume of new characters per chapter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    i can't even remember all the names of the zodiacs ffs :bookerskully

11. Intus Legere

I agree with you. Either you are heavily invested in HxH or you won't enjoy it. The sheer number of characters is hard to remember.

I think it has more to do with the hiatus than anything. If you think about it, A Song of Ice and Fire introduces 300+ characters in the first book, plus at least 100+ with every new book. Most of them are minor, but they still have a part. You won't ever meet a fan of Sweet Donnel Hill, squire to Ser Mallador Locke, or Wex Pyke, who told Wyman Manderly about Rickon Stark whereabouts... but yet they are there and are quite integral to the story. Because it's a book and you probably read it in bulk, you don't complain about the number of characters, but once years go by without a new book it becomes hard to remember these names.

12. snakeeater

It's not really the narrative's fault that people can't remember recurring characters. If you spend months without reading the manga, and then pick up where you left off, of course you won't remember details.

Either wait for the arc to be finished and read it all at once, or properly refresh your memory by reading it again. If you don't do either of these, then you have no right to complain about "oh, I can't remember these characters."

13. Yasha

Flag:
    Japan

I do struggle with remembering the characters in ASoIaF and One Piece as well. Oversized cast is almost never a good sign for a coherent storytelling, and now Togashi is apparently trying to break the record of most new characters in one arc.

14. Zef

I don't think the amount of characters will hinder his writing, but I'm pretty sure half the characters we've seen so far will end up dead.

I don't like that we're wasting these hiatuses on characters that are hype tools and fodder.

The princes, their immediate bodyguards, and the mafia are fine.

All these other characters can go away.
    :tiredpepe

15. Jake CENA

Catdank Faction:
    who would anyone read tons of texts, twice? :hestonpls

16. snakeeater

This is why the Manga Stream translation doesn't do this arc justice. I understand that some people don't have access to the Viz translation, though, and so their opinion of the arc is based on the inferior version. What a shame.