1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

HxH reading log book (no spoilers please)

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by BlueDemon, Mar 18, 2018.

1. BlueDemon Demon

Finally started reading this manga. Didn't want to for a long time because I thought Togashi is just being disrespectful to his readers with all his hiatuses, but who knows for how long I'll still be reading manga in general, so I wanted to at least check out the most acclaimed ones I haven't till now.

Just got to chapter 45, the start of the torunament arc. Up to now, I guess it's been quite okay. Good, but nothing really outstanding tbh. I guess the really good stuff start after Nen is going to be introduced? Anyway, the tournament arc looks like it's going to be fun.

Having two rivals that are so far above Gon is quite interesting too. Hopefully he'll get to catch up at least to Kilua. I know for many people it's boring when the main character is the best, but I like my MCs to be strong.

And is the manga even close to getting a conclusion? Also one of the reasons I have only starting reading HxH so late is because I hate it when a story isn't finished yet or there's a possibility it won't be finished...

I'm also probably not going to post much for a while, but I'll update this whenever I'll have finished reading a good chunk.

Tags:
  2. Intus Legere ̣#TeamHisoka

Didn't you want to watch HxH 2011? Also, depending on who is hosting the manga, the art may be horrible. Volume scans have acceptable art, but chapter by chapter art sometimes get really bad. But you're still a bit far from the point where art becomes bad.

3. Djomla Student

Dude, you better watch the 2011 version and then start reading where the anime stops.

Anime is just glorious.

4. BlueDemon Demon

Hmm, dunno, maybe I said that at some point, but I really don't have the time for watching anime anymore. Just watching DBS atm and even then I'm not always up-to-date. Easier for me to read manga. The scan quality is quite meh now, so I can't really judge the art itself...I'm reading on kissmanga, do other sites have bette scans?

How many episodes does the anime have? Maybe I'll give it a go (yeah I know, been saying this about FMA too...).

5. rborges01 Well-Known Member

6. BlueDemon Demon

Oh fuck. I probably wouldn't finish that in a year :lmao So yeah, not promising anything. But I'll catch up to the latest chapter in a few months I think.

7. hysoka uchiha Member

man, you want Gon to be strong by chapter 45?

8. BlueDemon Demon

Well, he's already strong, but Killua was pretty far ahead of him and I guess that's going to stay like that for a while.

I got to the Shin York arc when they're trying to sell the treasure. Nice change of pace.

9. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    Pick up on the anime dude you won't regret it. Even if you just watch for yorkshin, and Chimera Ant arc.

10. hysoka uchiha Member

you want him to be competitive at some level instead of being in circles much above his capacity I thought you meant something along those lines. but since your wording was somewhat ambiguous and there are so many haters for HXH I wanted to...

11. BlueDemon Demon

Exactly, competitive is the right word. The only thing I hate about HxH is Togashi's working ethic :lmao

12. Venice Well-Known Member

Back in 2011, Togashi said he has 3 or 4 more "stories" after the Chimera Ant Arc. If stories means arc, we have at most 3 more arcs left to go since after CA we ger The Election arc. Rn we are at the "Road to DC" arc. Togashi loves to make arcs that deviate from the main path which is happening right now.

13. Neo Arcadia puru puru

:hisoka

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. BlueDemon Demon

Chrollo almost getting murdered was quite exciting (although of course he wouldn't get killed), but it really looks like he was buying time for Illumi to do his job. I like how the Zoldycks are working...
    Also interesting tidbit about how a serious Chrollo would be stronger than Grandpa Zoldyck in a one-on-one. Wonder about him vs. Silva and their past fight.

They really should have gotten rid of him though. He's going to be a pain in the ass in the future. Now that I've gotten to the Greed Island arc though, they're portraying the Troupe to be more than just Assassins, but they're still murderers.

Hisoka's face when he found out Chrollo can't use nen anymore xD Kurapika should have put that condition on the woman too.
    And Killua and Gon could have escaped but they didn't want Kurapika to become a murderer...such good friends :/ - KILL ALL THOSE BASTARDS NAOW

Greed Island arc is shaping up to be quite fun. And so much potential that they'd get so good within 4 days? These guys belong in DBS :maybe

It took me a long time to realize who the "what-should-I-eat-guy" is again (Killua's fat bro). xD

This manga really must be read closely. Breaks in between reading aren't a good thing either. I'll probably forget most of what happened after catching up and having to wait for the hiatus to end.

15. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    You are in for a wild ride. The next arc after Greed Island is generally recognized as the best in HxH thus far

16. BlueDemon Demon

The Chimera Ants arc, right? I've heard a lot about it!

How would you rate the arcs in general?

17. KidTony Top Waifu

There some discussion about which arc is considered the best in the series. Some do consider York Shin to be the best arc, and Togashi's magnum Opus, however there's an emerging consensus that the Chimera Ant Arc is his best arc, and his true Opus. I tend to agree with that. Even though i love York Shin, and the CA arc has a weak and slow start, by the end of it materializes into something very special.

If i had to rate all the arc, it would be:

1. Chimera Ant
    2. York Shin
    3. Greed Island
    4. Chairman Election
    5. Hunter Exam
    6. DC Voyage/Prince Battle
    7. Heaven's Arena
    8. Zoldyc Mannor/Killua Rescue

Don't pay much attention to the positions on the list though, since I consider pretty much all HxH arcs to be excellent. 3-6 are pretty much interchangeable for me. The only arc i didn't enjoy very much was when the gang went to get killua back after the Hunter Exam.

18. BlueDemon Demon

So the girl who wanted to mess with our cute protagonists turns out to be an "ancient" loli who was their master's master? Reminds me of Evangeline :maybe
    Turns out to be a good master though, they really needed that training.

It's nice how they still have to train to get there when confronted with so many other pro hunters, but compared to the troubles they had with the Spiders it feels a bit off. I'm aware they were massively outclassed by the Spiders, but I guess that's just the feeling you get after having confronted boss-level people and going down to mid-level scrubs.

Had a nice :lmao at the titles (Are they going to Masadora? :lmao).

Ging actually wanting to train his son?! Does he really care about him? Tune in next time....:maybe (talking about Biscuit's observation here)

Togashi drew Naruto twice at the end of the volumes, he lovin' the series or what?!

Oh man, I saw those Bombers triggering all the bombs anyway from a mile away...

Also very interesting how the Spiders found out Greed Island is real. Guess the girl could be one of the gamemasters? Although she's always there...nen makes anything possible though.

With Razor appearing the observation that there are more than just one gamemaster came true. Razor appears to be a cool guy. Also pretty powerful apparently. Looking forward to his showdown with the Spiders.

Awesome how Killua passed the exam!!

Togashi's so lazy even his volume foreword is one-word long :gokuskully

I like how everybody is always amazed at something Gon does (that immeasurable potential yadda yadda) but I really dislike how he's far less interesting than his comrades...a thing that can be seen in the character polls. I'm usually always rooting for the MC, so this irks me a bit. Quite the generic MC too (well, as generic as all the other characters tbh)

@KidTony though the Zoldyck arc was ok, was just intended as an interlude anyway.

19. RemChu † Polygondwanaland †

20. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    My ranking:

0. That fight after Chimaera Ant arc
    1. Chimaera Ant
    2. York Shin
    3. Hunter Exam
    4. Heaven's Arena
    5. Greed Island
    6. Chairman Election
    7. Zoldyck

21. Neo Arcadia puru puru

Togashi redrew most of the scribble chapters.

22. RemChu † Polygondwanaland †

yeah it's like a rough draft vs a finished....

23. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    how is Gon generic?

24. Neo Arcadia puru puru

I'd say that was less about wanting to train Gon and more about making a balanced video game.
    Greed Island is supposed to be an RPG, so players level up as they overcome increasingly stronger enemies designed to test them.

The instruction manual said "for hunters only" for a reason. Passing the exam is probably the bare minimum for someone to be considered level 1 by the game's standards. All the scrubs who got trapped wouldn't even pass that marathon.

25. BlueDemon Demon

Razor's face :O Now I know where it comes from lol
    The dodgeball game was pretty good. So Gon's unlimited potential finally starts to materialize in form of a lot of aura. Me likey.

There's that, but it does look more and more like Ging does actually care - talking to people about him, telling them to not go easy on him etc.

No mom/doesn't care about her, wants to go after his dad (apparently that's his goal now + becoming worthy of being called a hunter), cares more than anything about his friends/is pure, has unlimited potential, is less cool than his closest nakama, is kinda dumb (but fucking strong).
    That's pretty much the generic Shounen protagonist, unless I'm missing something. There have been more nuances to the characters with the world, yeah, but Gon as protagonist seems to be pretty generic. Up to now at least.

26. Dr. White Smell nice? it's Moonflower

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    I mean yeah sure he shares some of those thematic stereotypes with them but he's actually a bit more nuanced. Most main characters have this grand goal that encompasses their character and usually involves being the strongest, or most well known (Deku wants to be the greatest Hero like All might, Naruto wants to be Hokage, Luffy Pirate King, etc). Gon is much more whimsical and his goal was to simply be a hunter and find his dad. He's much less directed in that sense which allows him to just sort of go with the wind, especially after he develops his bond with Killua. He's also veru instinctual to the point where it makes him somewhat enigmatic, like what happens with him in the CA arc. Rarely do we see an MC behave that way to the point where you question if the villains have the moral highground.

Gon kinda just stands out among MC's for me because when I watch him in the series I don't get that "This guy right here is the MC, watch him reach his goal" feeling. He just seems like the most focused on character in a huge world around him, rather than a chosen one or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  27. BlueDemon Demon

Biscuit's true form is hilarious. She's also a leech :lmao and a double-star hunter :O

Liked the Greed Island arc pretty much. Also quite interesting how Ging didn't want to meet Gon if he was with other people. Also quite amazing how a few hunters just spent 20 years of their lives to be gamemaster...

:obamabury
    Got through the Chimera Arc in one read. Gotta say, it was a pretty awesome arc. Will start with my normal observation and talk more about my final impression at the end.

The queen actually being pregnant with the king but eating and assimilating other animals and creating the soldiers through eggs was interesting. I wonder how they still retained their memories...after being eaten :maybe

Volume 20 and Togashi is already dead lol

Kuwabara (Knuckle) appears! Hell yeah :bury

Palm is batshit crazy.

"Chairman selection" arc pretty much spoiled what'll happen to Netero I think. Not that I wouldn't have seen it coming after he thought of sacrificing "someone".

The queen's soldier saying Meruem and his guards are evil...elicited a chuckle from me.

Meruem = Cell (even the Nen eating). Hello North Korea and Kim Jong Un =))

Cougars...with an 11 year old?! WTF Also Palm was 22 :O. Okay forget about generic, Gon's probably the only Shounen MC to have gotten any action before the manga had even started :lmao

So Killua had a control needle implanted in his brain by his bro. Awesome.

Gon's killing intent face is pretty badass.

More thoughts about the Chimera Arc: as I said, I really liked it, and I know what Togashi was trying to do with the Ants vs. Humans, not everything's black or white etc.
    But still, the loss of conviction some of them felt and especially Gon's problems in coming to terms that people can be hella cruel towards others but super nice to the family was a bit..."oh hi, welcome to the real world".
    I mean I can understand them, having pictured the Ants as killing machines and then being faced with their human nature (since they were...well yeah, part human). And I understand Gon even more because of his nature and being a kid. But the others? Don't tell me they didn't have to go against other people too. Do you stop and reconsider just because they have a nice side to them while they continue massacrating half a million people? I think not (well maybe you do, because we're all human and no killing machines, but you still do your job).

Still, was pretty good all-in-all. Gon's transformation also took me by surprise, but good thing Killua had a mysterious sister with just the right abilities (dunno if it was foreshadowed in a family picture in earlier chapters - if yes, Kudos to Togashi).

Another thing I was wondering about was how few (high level) Hunters actually took on a Dragon level disaster (hehe). Even the Zodiacs wondered about that, so I hope this will be adressed later on.

I also remember people saying how Nen isn't so much about power levels at all - and I do agree - but having someone with a much higher aura apparently does make a pretty huge difference.

About Meruem: regenerates (like Cell again :p) and becomes the perfect being, only to be killed by the poison from the Rose :drake. Yeah right.
    Though I also liked his development. What I didn't enjoy quite that much was Netero's wavering. I might not have gotten all ideological nuances because I was already reading for a few hours when I got there, but Meruem was still planning to be a mass murderer. Discovering your human side doesn't make much of a freaking difference (no, really people, tell me what I'm missing. And yeah, I know humans did the same to each other - what Togashi didn't fail to point out - but humanity was keeping itself in check and wasn't planning on eating 99.9% of the population...).

Chairman selection arc was also pretty fun. I hope Killua and Gon resolve their issue and go on now. I have to finish the remaining 60 or so chapters ASAP, really want to see what happens next. Also nice that he finally got to meet his dad. Really funny how everybody was accusing him of being a crappy dad.

Though Togashi really took it slow after the Chimera Ant arc...:cry

These are all valid points and I'm not saying Togashi isn't doing a good job in tweaking the standard formula. But before the CA there wasn't too much to set him apart from other MCs tbh.

And about the moral highground thing: I talked about further above in my post, but what moral highground could the Ants have when they already massacred hundreds of thousands? And I understand Gon's inability to deal with people being murderers and having human feelings at the same time (cause he's young and it's how he is), but we as readers?
    Okay, threatening to kill the girl to get Pitou to do what he was saying wasn't right, but he was half gone by that point (this is the situation you were talking about right?).

As I said, I get what Togashi was going for and it's something worthy to debate about. It's also something different to sit in front of a screen and analyze while the character live it (more or less), but it wouldn't have been any different if these had been human targets trying to do the same.

Sorry if the post is a bit chaotic, too many impressions to write down...

28. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    Get ready for one of the best fights in shounen history. No exaggeration at all.

29. BlueDemon Demon

Now I'm getting Toriko vibes...from the world map.

Oh yeah and I wanted to say it's very shitty Gotoh had to die. FU Hisoka :(

And now we have a Don Freecs...another point for Generic MC :p

Ging is such a total universal genius. Makes no sense for Gon not to be smarter...

I liked that fight, it was pretty cerebral. Still, I wouldn't say it blew me away. Like the manga in general, tbh. Maybe it would have been another matter if I had started it 13 or so years ago, but now...
    I liked that Chrollo won, but I was sure Hisoka wouldn't die. Well, he did die, technically, but you know what I mean.
    Was also a bit surprised about the venue they chose. Was very disadvantageous for Hisoka, but he likes his challenges.

I am a bit bummed though that Gon just stayed home trying to rediscover what he actually wants to do. I really hope he somehow gets to the Dark Continent too. I don't mind seeing more of Kurapika and the other protagonists, but Gon shouldn't be left out of such a big arc (I imagine it'll get pretty big).

The current Succession War is interesting, but quite tedious tbh. I caught a bad time to catch up :lmao
    At least we have the Spiders and the Mafia looking for Hisoka, so there's that too. I want them to get to that Dark Continent already though!

Any theories on why there are 14 caskets though? Shouldn't there be only 13 if a Prince survives? Or plot twist: they aren't supposed to survive? Or is it for the King himself?

Was an enjoyable read, all-in-all. A huge pity Togashi couldn't write more in these 20 years. Just imagine where we'd be now...if it was still on-going.

30. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    You read fast, unlike the other thread maker who gave up because the plot was way over his head :maybe