1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

[HYPOTHETICAL] Death, would you rather....

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Toad Hermit, May 31, 2007.

1. Toad Hermit Member

1. Die and simply just rot and decompose in Earth with no soul. You know just dead you feel nothing
    2. Die and realize you have a soul and God will punish you for lets say 10 billion years in Hell but after that you enter heaven for eternity.

I will choose the second option because I can't stand just being "DEAD". Even if I am dead and I have a soul, I really feel alive. Even if I am being punished the reward is still amazing and as they say no pain no game.

Tags:
  2. explicitkarma 24601

This is more of a philosophy forum topic, but...

I'd rather have choice one. Eternal life would get boring; mortal life means you have to make it worth while.

3. Adonis Logical Positivist

Why would I want to spend eternity with an asshole who barbecued my ass for 10 billion years?

God: Sorry about that letting you burn for for 10 million millennia while being sodomized by rabid giraffes and pitchforks deal. We cool?
    Me: Fuck you...

4. Lycanthropy This Battle Will Be Won ♥

First choice, cause hell sucks.

5. Razza Gemini

The first choice.

6. el zilcho Accept No Substitutes

I'll take the peaceful slumber of oblivion over an eventual eternity of dealing with a condescending deity that feels the need to "punish" me for making the otherwise harmless (ironic, as I'd be the only one harmed for them) decisions I have made.

7. Sam I Am The Voice of Reason

Don't worry. There is life after death.

For some other people:
    I think people may find that God is a great deal kinder than they seem to think He is.

8. Link Courage

I believe in neither...

9. EvilMoogle Well-Known Member Supporting Staff

Assuming Heaven is an ultimate paradise proportional to the ultimate suffering of hell, I'd choose the second option since 10 billion years isn't that big of a deal in the face of eternity.

If Heaven isn't flawed it would depend on a number of factors I'm not going to go into at the moment.

10. Asuma: Konoha's Blade Member

second option. It would be sad to have to leave my friends Adolf and Light, but I'd probably get bored of them after 10 billion years. lol ten billion years... kind of hard to scope. I'd be one fucked up dude entering heaven.

11. Senzur Is A

i would have to go with choice one, i need my sleep

12. Jones ...and they served the beam.

yeah, if everyone knew there was an afterlife, why try? 10 billion years is nothing if one wants to get into heaven that bad.

13. GrimaH Absurdist

Choice one, because it seems more logical and believable to me.
    I took some time to get over it :sag

14. I think the TS was being hypothetical. i.e. [HYPOTHETICAL] in the title.

Of course I would choose No.2 as would any rational person. It's amusing here how oblivion is viewed as a peaceful slumber. Akin to rocks relaxing.

15. Mintaka Well-Known Member

neither.

I'd rather come up with my own options.

16. Hwon House of Win

All you people going with choice 2 would be wishing they had gone with choice 1 after just 1 year of hell. After 10 years just about everyone would be mentally broken and would have completely lost their humanity. By the time you got to heaven you wouldn't even be a remnant of your former self and there would be nothing left of you that made you, you. In the end you might as well haven choosen choice 1.

17. Saria19 Non-intervening Vaizard

Chose number 2, there's something to hope for with that one.

18. el zilcho Accept No Substitutes

I can think of nothing more relaxing than nonexistence, thank you very much, sir. Also, the reference of oblivious death as a peaceful slumber is actually an allusion to an archaic, yet incredibly famous and influential, philosopher. I do hope your amusement stems from this realization.

I, however, find it amusing that any "rational" person would prefer a scenario riddled with folly. For the religious, yes, it is a small price to pay for something they have always longed for... but that's not the basis of this hypothetical situation. The unspoken caveat within the OP's situation is that the person in question originally did not believe in a soul, which necessarily precludes them from being religious in the traditional sense.

Now then, we find ourselves at a juncture within this hypothetical situation. Certainly there are the non-religious figures that were simply ambiguous in their theological opinions (or at least not possessing very strong opinions) and thus find a more logical choice in suffering for an unprecedented amount of time for the promise of eternal happiness. However, there is the other part of this juncture, which diverges drastically from the aforementioned individual.

As any person that frequents these forums should know, there are a fair number of devout (yes, I am using that term quite literally and quite ironically) atheists... myself included. I'm not going to go into tangential discussion about what an atheist is, but I'm sure you can imagine what would occur for a strong atheist, full of conviction, to be in this hypothetical.

Ah, but there is a choice! As an intelligent, rational, mature individual, I know myself very well. To spend ten billion years in unspeakable agony, mentally and physically, all to be let into a place that I not only held disbelief of - but had very strong reasons to deny... and spend an eternity under the gaze of a being that (according to my own reasoning) defies logic? Hubris is a terrible tragedy, yes, but I cannot shake the feeling that "Heaven" would be anything but for me.

Of course, this is a purely emotional line of reasoning. There are many, many more philosophical reasons I would choose nothingness over an eternal existence. But I'm sure the OP does not want to discuss what he entails by Heaven, and this is not the place or the time.

Yet there remains that first choice, the inevitably that one such as myself has been preparing for throughout life. Wherein lies the rational path in that scenario? To say that it is sheerly, and only, pride that would keep such an individual from choosing eternal "bliss" is a gross misunderstanding of the psychology involved with that journey... and a misunderstanding of practicality.

Let us forget hypothetical situations for a moment. In my opinion, Heaven does not exist and is nothing more than a fanciful dream of many fearful of death. As such, my life is lived with the mentality that nothing should be regretted, or desired, postmortem. Even if, upon dying, this hypothetical situation became reality, it is a moot point. What is the point of an eternity of happiness following a life of happiness and ultimate fulfillment (or peaceful resignation), where there is nothing left to yearn for, in preparation for nothingness? (<--Rhetoric, of course; there is no answer I would accept.)

But yes, I would be perfectly rational in enduring unimaginable horrors for an unimaginable amount of time just to gain access to place I never cared about anyway. Right.

19. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

the second one contradicts itself

20. Marl Now with added S? Engine!

I'd go with option two, every time.

Why?

Because I'm a coward. I enjoy life. I enjoy being alive. I love simply being able to think. My single greatest fear is to stop existing. It renders my entire life meaningless. All my actions, all my thoughts, all my accomplishments, (all my future contributions to the field of physics which I hope to make) - they would all be for nothing. Perhaps they would help other people? That doesn't matter, long term. They, too, would cease to exist. Eventually, the human race will cease to exist. At that point, my life truly would become worthless, pointless, a waste of time. Why bother living at all?
    Spoiler: Reason for living, lawl
    I've concluded that seeing as the majority of endeavours are rendered pointless because of the mortality of myself and my species, physical achievements are wastes of time. Therefore, I want to spend my life having fun. I want to have the most fun I possibly can before I die. I suppose, in a way, that makes me vain and self-centred. I don't care (and I suppose that statement really DOES make me self-centred. ^^). I just want to have fun. -.-

I guess I sort of wandered off topic a bit there. In conclusion: I don't want to stop existing. I want to keep thinking forever. I'd rather go to hell (permanently) than cease my existence. It's not a rest - it's oblivion. I sat down one day, and contemplated "not existing". I didn't like the idea one bit. It wouldn't be peaceful, it would be nothing. My brain stops working, and then that's it - I'm just a sack of meat once again. I hate that thought. I want to keep existing.

Incidentally, this is why I hate being an atheist. :nod

21. GrimaH Absurdist

Time to bring up my "Life Forever: 100% Guaranteed" Theory!

Key statement: Time is infinite

First Conclusion: Every event that has any chance of happening at all WILL happen, infinite times

Second statement: The event that we live, happens :omg

Second Conclusion: We live infinite timesesesessssssss!!!!!

:nod
    Of course, everything hinges on whether time is indeed infinite.

22. Amaretti No strong feelings whatsoever

I thought hell was eternal?

I'm going with option 1, because I'd rather be at peace than get hot pokers shoved up my ass for 10,000,000,000,000 years until God gives me a pat on the head and tells me I've probably learnt my lesson.

Nice guy, that God fellow.

Also, this belongs more in the philosophy forum, so moving~

23. Morbidman Look at me I'm a disturbed %

2!2!
    I would go to hell, slaughter the devil, rule hell and then enjoy the heavenly pleasures for all eternity.:ninja :ninja

24. Goodfellow .

I take the 1 please.

25. Lazlow I believe you

I'd choose 1. It's less painful

26. Einstein Time for a Change?

I'd choose the first one, simply because I don't see myself/God/Satan remembering to even let me out of hell after 10 billion years.

27. Einstein Time for a Change?

I'd choose the first one, simply because I don't see myself/God/Satan remembering to even let me out of hell after 10 billion years.

28. Sasori <font color="#8B0000">● GB Genius ●</font>

First choice probably.

But it's kinda difficult to choose one or the other because believing in 1 negates the belief of the other.

29. The Juggernaut Mini-Ichi

The First Choice, what would be the use of eventually faining entrance into heaven if for 10 billion years i have been mentally broken down and spiritually drained to the point where I am no longer myself but instead a mere shadow of my old self if i even retain any sanity. So in the end it doesn't matter to me that i would eventually achieve eternal peace and happiness if in the proccess I would lose myself and have to face what compared to the short lifetime i have lived seems to be another eternity of suffering.

30. Fuujin ̣