1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

I feel like my drawing is missing something and it looks flat

Discussion in 'Art Lounge' started by kingjr9000, Sep 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. kingjr9000

Like the post earlier, these are the two styles I'm thinking about unless I can figure out another one. I need to work on figuring out where the light is coming from though. Which one looks better?
    Face 1 or 2?

2. Underworld Broker

Out of curiosity: how many hours per day do you spend drawing?

3. Vino

Flag:
    Germany

:shocked

a bit softer UB, wow...

4. Underworld Broker

Didnt mean to sound rude or anything, just curious cause he isnt posting here often enough :dead

5. Vino

Flag:
    Germany

He should start small, like this

6. kingjr9000

Probably about 4-5hrs. I'd say enough to pinpoint or at least almost pinpoint where my problems are coming from. So far I haven't been able to truly replicate the drawing at the top of the page consistently. But I think my problems due to me not being able to get the chin right, proportions right, and face shape right.

I'm currently working on trying to get the upper body and the face to look proportionally correct now.
    I didn't want to bug you guys or make you feel like you're wasting your time if I'm not improving at the rate you expect.:ano

7. kingjr9000

This is what I'm trying to fix. I'm trying to fix the size and shape of the first photo, the one with the body. I think the head shape just looks a bit too blockish and I'm trying to ad something to it but I'm working on that in my current picture, while the second head looks fine it just doesn't have the body.

8. kingjr9000

I think I'm starting to figure out where my drawings are falling flat at or why they still don't look as good as I need them to be.

• The first one was as @Charmed said, which was the eyes.
    • The second one was the lines like @RemChu said, which I'm still working on.
    • The third one is proportions like Charmed said too.
    • The fourth one is face shape, which is something you could probably attribute to proportions or maybe not, I don't know.
    • The fifth one is definitely shading. That one is easily one of the most important ones. I'm trying to look at videos that give a basic on what to look for when shading and I know is the angle of the light.
    • The sixth one and I think probably the last one is detail. If you look at the bleach photo I posted earlier, the difference between the years is insane. I'm at the level of the early bleach (I'm not saying I'm as good as that right now), but what I mean is the type of quality, basically it is not as good as it could be. Maybe thats because of the list that I mentioned earlier or maybe it might be something I don't see yet. I don't know right now.

But as of now, my current drawings quality look similar to Code Adam. Don't get upset, if you're a fan of the series, take that as a compliment. If you're wondering why I'm trying so hard to get better, its because I need to draw my cover design for my story, and that can't look shoddy or half done or something that looks like it was done by an amateur. It needs to look or at the minimum suit the story and the way the novel reads.

Compared to the last head (AKA post 61) how do the new faces look? Which one looks the best? I'm leaning towards face 3.

9. Charmed

yeah but the neck is too wide, and the ears are way too small.
    the hair and the eyes are sooooooo much better now!
    Keep up the good work!

The cover is like, the most important thing actually x'D
    It's never gonna be perfect enough, so as long as you feel it's good, nice or interesting, it's cool!

10. Zensuki

Catdank Faction:

Areas you need to improve are anatomy, shading/lighting and perspective. You're faces are flat because of the angle and lighting (or lack of shading).

Check these out. Also I think you should draw on paper first. The software you're using does not look smooth.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Vino

Flag:
    Germany

^ what he said

12. kingjr9000

This is one of the things I've been wondering and worrying about. I'm currently using Clip studio paint pro and I was wondering if it was just me or possibly the software. I really didn't want to give it up, but I'll try out krita over the weekend to see if I can replicate the drawing while making it smoother.

Why did you say to try out paper drawing first? Im curious about that line.

13. Zensuki

Catdank Faction:

Drawing comes from your hands. On a computer, the software uses various algorithms to try to recreate what your hand is doing but there is no better representation than just using your hand to draw on paper.

Practice on paper. The hand movements, how to shade, how to draw lines etc You'll learn a lot quicker because you can feel it and can be more free about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. RemChu

Fastest way to practice good ol fashion hand and paper. No distractions.

Agreed with everything else said. Dont worry about making 1 really good , go for volume. Improvement.

You are trying to give illusion of form in ur 2d drawing. That's the goal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Underworld Broker

^this

Example: Picasso had like over 12.000 drawings

Also use references if you wanna improve too. It's like learning cooking with recipes. Gotta learn the basics

16. kingjr9000

I'm currently using krita instead of Clip studio pro and the lines do look smoother. but the reason I'm posting this is to ask if I'm on the right path for shading. I'm looking into doing what I think is called "single point lighting". I think its a beginner subject, but I also need to start getting used to seeing the lighting.

Edit: Just in case someone misses the post below, I recommend clicking on the picture since there is some detail lost on this page.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  17. kingjr9000

@Underworld Broker , @Zensuki, I know underworld was on here, but I don't know who the other three were/are.

I recommend to click on the image since there is some detail lost on this page.

18. Underworld Broker

You're on the right way :caticon

19. Underworld Broker

Was searching for a video btw which is about portrait drawing, but feels very advanced I guess, you can check it out if you want

20. kingjr9000

Yep. I've seen him before. I tried to follow, but like you guessed was too advanced for me. I couldn't follow the shading section of the video.

21. Zensuki

Catdank Faction:

Shading made a big difference. What are you drawing with? The lines are still shaky. They need to be smooth. Try sketching: quick, lightly pressed lines.

22. kingjr9000

Do you mean brushes? If yes, then I'm using "sketch" brush presets. I think on that previous drawing I used "pencil 1 hard", "pencil 5 tilted", and "basic 6 detailed".

23. kingjr9000

Another one. This one is in black-and-white unlike the last one which was in color. I think I should've used a darker shade of the color I used for his face instead of grey, thats what I was trying to test out on this drawing. The arrow in the bottom is the light direction.

Another thing that I'm slightly concerned about is the art style. I'm beginning to wonder if this drawing style is just "my style". :catthinks

Deleted the picture due to it being bad.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  24. kingjr9000

Thank you everyone who's been helping me out with this. I really appreciate it all.

25. kingjr9000

After seeing a post on another site about different mangaka interpretations of Dragonball, I've decided to see if I can try to relax my limits somewhat and see if I can get a consistent style. What I mean is see if I can get a style that I'm comfortable with. It might not be what I want or imagine, but it should be something that is consistent with my current skills and can be refined without screwing up repeatedly. So over time you're going to see different sizes, shapes, and designs, but they should be proportionally correct. I have no idea what they may look like, but if I can relax and go with the flow, I should be able to see a sharper design.

26. Yami Munesanzun

:catboogie:catboogie:catboogie:catboogie:catboogie:catboogie:catboogie

27. kingjr9000

After spending 4+ hours trying to figure out how to do clipping or inherit alpha in Krita, I gave up. I couldn't get it to repeat on multiple layers. So after all of that, I made this. This is part of the relaxation stage that I'm trying out and so far it seems to ok I Guess. After looking at it from a distance, the head seems a little bit large and the neck a little smaller than normal, but I'm also trying to make it like a distorted face kind of deal, so maybe thats why?

Earlier in the day, I tried to trace over a webtoon image with the character facing forward like I'm doing now, and it still didn't look right. At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if I just can't draw like them. I don't mean I'm giving up--thats impossible for me at this point. What I'm saying is that I wonder if the style that I can draw is something entirely different to what I've been trying to do. Regardless, I'm going to try to trace some one piece characters and see how that works for me.

The second image is the one I tried to trace over.

28. kingjr9000

Good news! I finally did something right for once.
    :doggokek

The reason the image I drew is so open is because that was of the tracing material I had to go on. About the crass shading, I don't know how to do it in that style just yet.

29. kingjr9000

Flag:
    Germany