1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

I have lost faith in the Catholic Church, whos fault is it, mine or God's

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by NeophyteNihilist, Jul 17, 2005.

1. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

I've been raised in a devotely Catholic family and I go to church every Sunday, however the more I think about the church and its teachings the less it makes sense and the more I find to disagree with. I am very logical in my thinking, and so many of the church's teachings seem illogical or closed minded to me. I lack the faith to accept what i believe to be flawed teachings. I'd love to be able to accept the church's teachings as truth, as nearly all the devotely religious people I know seem to be happy because of their beliefs and it would make the world a lot simpler, however I simply can't. If this inability to accept the docterines of the Catholic Church lead me to hell, whos fault is it, God's or mine? My lack of faith is not due to laziness or spite and I have no alterior motives for not believing, so I believe it would be God's fault. I would like to know people's opinions on this.

Tags:
  2. akuma no omoigakenai saku El Chupacabra

I'd have to say it's the Catholic Church's fault.

3. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

True, but should I be held responsible for the church's short commings?

4. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

Well, I don't know what the Catholic Church has taught you. I know it's a little different than the original teachings of Christ (that can be found in numerous churches). But on another hand, you are 16 years of age and it is absolutely normal for you to question God and faith and the Bible at that age. You're not dead yet and so there is no need to blame your questions on anyone at this point. You will go through years of searching and God will always be there with you whether you know it or not. You will find your answers you seek in time. Just keep questioning it and searching for answers. You may find the answers in a place you never dreamed of finding them.

5. OtacontheOtaku ~Sex Guru~

Read Revelations, it says to actually go out of the Churchs because of how corrupt they would become. So yeah, keep your faith, ditch the Church.

6. Left_Right The Great Sage equal to Heaven

Don't believe in anyother belief than the one you yourself create. Don't worry of the way of christ or some other god/God/Messiah, they can't do anything to you. They didn't do anything to me. Trust yourself in what the true nature of the reality and live by what you believe in, not what someone else taught you to believe in.

7. NeophyteNihilist Not actually a Nihilist

:amuse I'm not really all that worried, but thanks for your concern. Hell just sounds like an excuse to get people to do what you say. I was just wondering if people thought it was possible that someone was never granted any faith or the ability to have any by God, and if so, would he/she go to heaven?

8. Left_Right The Great Sage equal to Heaven

God is supposed to be like supreme thing that can see, hear, and know everything right? And God's supposed to be like all loving, helping, and nice and stuff.

IF God does exist and IF heaven does exist, and if someone was never granted any faith by God, then probably that person isn't good enough in God's eye and probably won't be allowed to go to heaven.

9. kapsi Banned

Don't worry, that's normal. Children raised in "devotely Christian" families often turn against the Church.

10. OtacontheOtaku ~Sex Guru~

This is the opinion typical of someone who doesn't understand what God is. God is not all loving, helping, nor is he nice and stuff. God IS all love, God IS all help, God is all "nice-ness" and God IS all "stuff". He doesn't love you because he IS the love that you feel, through his existence you are able to help and become nice and to be able to see, feel, and create "stuff". God isn't someone who holds your hand. You have to set out to do what's right, you can't have someone helping you through EVERYTHING.

11. bigbird I'm ready for my close up!

A lot of people have misconceptions that God is all lovey-dovey and nice and whatnot. But God is also a just God and he will punish those who wrong him, hence the existence of hell. And he's not there to hold your hand and make everything in life super easy for you. He's there to make opportunities, no matter how hard or painful, in your life happen so that your faith and love for God grows. Don't worry about it, neophyte. Forget about the teachings of the Catholic church for a while and focus on growing your realtionship with God.

And to answer your question about those that never get the chance to have faith in God, I'm not sure if they do go to hell or not. But I read somewhere that you can get out of hell if you truly repent for your sins and accept God and Jesus as your saviour.

12. Left_Right The Great Sage equal to Heaven

Well I'll leave that discription of God and God's existence to you guys. Personally I don't believe in God so it's no problem whatsoever if I don't do what God (people who says who knows God) tell me to do. Oh well if ever this God tries to touch me or even looks at me in the wrong way, I'l kick God's balls so hard that God'll wish that God was never ever born/created.

13. Tenten's missing lastname Professional Highschool Ninja

Neophyte, you sound very similar to me.
    for 14 years I was raised catholic, catholic schooling, teen groups, etc.
    then I realized how close minded they were,started questioning, gave up on questioning, then gave up on "god". Im just agnostic now.

o_O

14. Zelistor Guest

NeophyteNihilist, im an agnostic athiest. all i can say is these 2 posts beautifully contradict each other. what does this tell u/ me? that god, atleast the god created by society and culture is nothing more than a god created in each of our minds. god, was created for the soul purpose of answering all of lifes mysteries. any question that starts with "why" such as "why did my parents have to die" is answers with "b/c it was gods plan" or "b/c god wanted it so." ppl develop a god in their minds that give them hope when theyre down
    and keep them in line when theyre happy.
    however, thats why i dont believe in this exact religoous god. i am able to give myself hope when im down and keep myself in line when im happy. i am also able to rationally say that the reason anything happens in life "a divorce in the family" was simply b/c it happened (thru cause and effect or whatever) the relgious god is totally useless to me. however b/c i am open minded, i do accept the possibility of sum higher being, i just simply dont accept any religous gods. thats why i think buddhism is so great. it focuses on u being a good person without the creation of sum false hope or authority.

15. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

Oh that's so great, you contradicted yourself by both saying you absoluetly don't believe in God and that there might be a chance possiblity of His very existence, but you don't know. *sarcasm* I see what you mean though from your later writing, but your title just isn't politically correct. Although, religion is from God. I don't think "a god" really exists outside a "religious" belief system. It forms the definition of a religion.

more *sarcasm* (because I'm hot and irrititable right now, sar.) You just keep thinking that, okay. *seriousness* Actually a lot of people lose their faith in God when something bad happens. They question His very existence over a bad incident, so to many it wouldn't be to say that they "created" Him to feel better, because in many cases, people choose to hate Him when bad things happen.

16. Zelistor Guest

what i meant by agnostic athiest is im an agnostic leaning towards athiesm. i dont no if it makes sense but my overall stance is i dont believe in any religous gods but i do accept the possibility of a "higher being" (i dont no what i exactly mean by that but w/e)

also its true many ppl turn away from god when sumthing bad in their lives happens but id think just as equally amount of ppl turn towards god when sumthing bad happens. i dont no anything bout statistics thou

17. tuggumkee Boredom Intolerant

How can you judge God through the catholic church? That's one of the reasons why i dislike the catholic church, it has so much "tradition". How can you judge God from how people act? Basically most people in the world are crap. So judging God based on the people who call themselves Christian isn't really justified.

18. explicitkarma 24601

Do what you wish. But personally, I wouldn't let the rest of humanity, and their inclination towards corrpution, interfere with my views on religion, my relationship with God, ect...

I believe it's obviously the church's falut for not being able to keep you to believe their view. However, there is nothing wrong with that. Your views are yours and yours alone.

19. blacklusterseph004 ah, made you look ...

It's not God's fault, and I would risk it to say that it is only partially your fault. The church is compared to a body for good reason. If you were losing faith, your church and fellow christians should have made the effort to help you. I don't really want to criticise you because I don't know you, but perhaps you should have tried attending other churches to help fill in the gaps. I shouldn't actually use that tense, because you can still do that. Like Aldredian_Sahn said, you have to keep looking, don't give up on God just because you couldn't find the answers in one place.

I think that everyone has been given the ability to have faith, some more than others though. People not getting the chance to have faith is not God's fault, but the fault of christians. It is afterall the task of the church to deliver the gospel. If anyone is lost because they never heard the gospel, then it is most likely the christians that will have some explaining to do.

20. shizuru Making a come back!

I'm not sure is the catholic church the extremist when it comes to what the bible says? I'm not sure... but I dont think its gods fault. It could be what you said in the opening paragraph
    "I am very logical in my thinking, and so many of the church's teachings seem illogical or closed minded to me. I lack the faith to accept what i believe to be flawed teachings."
    It could be your logic... but i would know ^_^;; just ignor me lolol

21. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

Now it's time for you to take your logical thinking and really press hard into the issues that don't make sense. Don't stop looking into them just because they don't seem to make sense. If you really want to know the truth of Chistianity, you're going to have to search for it if you're not getting it from your current church. Look other places, ask people why they believe what they believe (how in depth it is or is it shallow).

Or you could just let the whole thing go. I guarentee that if you have the heart for God (even if you don't think you do), He will find you, but it may take years, decades for this to happen.

Or you can ask Jesus to come into your life, but then it has to be faith based and you can't question everything that happens, because you can always make "logical" excuses for why something happened, although you might be missing the point. Just go look.

22. tootaa18 That Sweet Moment Will Come

i think the most important thing is asking yourself: "do i believe in God?"

if you truley believe that there is a God outhere who will judge for your actions in life and in control of your destiny then the next step will be easy...

i don`t know about the church cuz i`m not christian but i think if you doubt the teachings of your religion you should seek other religions and study them very will and then deside which one you would like to join

and i agree with anyone who says that God is not here to hold your hand and guid you through your life, your life is like a whole huge test no one is gonna do the test for you and no one will give you the right answers. it`s you who should seek answers and deside what is right and what is wrong.

back to your question....

i don`t think that it`s God`s fault cuz as i said before, God is not gonna guid us to the right path, i mean what`s the point of my life if all the answers were given to me from the start? and what`s the point of heaven and hell if God guided all the people in the world to the right path??? :huh

i think the church has a part of the responsiblity for your lost faith, it should have given you answers to your qustions and doubts.

personally, i think you hold most of the responsibilty "not fault" for your doubts in your faith

we all make mistakes but we shouldn`t keep repeating the same mistake if we feel that what we are doing is wrong.

sorry for the long post and the bad english and i hope my post was helpful :amuse

23. DragonHeart52 Cooler by the Lake

As Socrates said, an unexamined life is not worth living.

You're examining and questioning why you believe and act as you do. I don't see anything here that would need a reason to blame anyone/anything unless you want to blame the processes of emotional and mental maturation.

It's something that happens to the best of us.

24. Jef88 88

its not youre fault you found a mistake in the story thats about jezus thats what makes you lose youre faith dont take religion serieus some people do (notthing against those people :wink ) follow what youre heart or mind thinks about it :amuse dont think about it as a problem (god still loves you :p i hope)

25. Elsundownbastard Banned

Neither. It's the sub admin's fault or the preists. Irresponsible upkeep.

26. Kevinthewiseone Wise One..Yeah Right

if you still belive in Cathlosim then i think it is the churches fault and not yours in any way or fashion

27. Scorpio3.14 mmmmm....pi

People have to realize that God exists outside of organized religion. I myself rarely attend a Church but am a devout Christian and am very secure in my religion. Just because the Chatholic Church you attend is not working for you, dont give up on religion entirely. I see that way to often. People have a bad experience with one church and they loose their faith entirely.

28. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

That's right and the Christian church is actually the people who follow Christ. Sometimes though when we have an institution we get too caught up in the doctrine part of it and we forget were we all come from. All those people out there in all those different churches are actually brothers and sisters of the same, although some have been misled, but fortunately the truth lies within the Bible. It all goes back to the Bible. It doesn't hurt to find other Christians in other places. You'll find an assortment of believers, especially those who do not focus so much on the organized part of the religion, but instead really have the Holy Spirit working inside of them, like my friend Marshall. It's good to talk to people and ask a lot of questions. Bible studies are good for that too!

29. Devilish Angel is turning innocence to apathy

Eh. Just believe in what you want to believe in. I believe in God but not all that "If you don't believe in him but do good for others than you will go to Hell."

I find that stupid. As long as you do good than you should be allowed to go to Heaven. I'll be damned if some alchoholic wife beater goes to Heaven because he believes in God but a homosexual man or woman who helps the poor burns in Hell.

Nuh uh. Not going to accept that.

30. tootaa18 That Sweet Moment Will Come

i don`t know about the non believers

but in my religion you would still be punished for your sins even if you are a true follower of the religion

and after you get punished for your sins you can go to heaven ^^