1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

I like Endeavour

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Ashi, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ashi

Catdank Faction:

Ifk why he’s being crucified, by the fan base he’s not a bad character.

People like this existing in this kind of society makes sense. And ever since he became the number 1 hero he’s been trying to better himself not only to suit the role but also to make amends for his family

Oh and him freaking out about Shoto leaving him on read was a cute moment, but also a pretty poignant one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Tags:
  2. Courier Six

Flag:
    Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    I’m pretty sure most people like him. It’s just a vocal minority that hate his guts.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Lord Trollbias

Flag:
    Croatia, Nigeria
    Catdank Faction:
    You had me at "I like Endeavor" OP. He's one of this series' best characters for sure.

4. blackguyinpinksuit

He's great. I'm always fighting with his wankers tho. They're so disgusting they don't even know how to like a character properly.

5. OS

Catdank Faction:

Wtf

7. TrueG 37

8. Lord Trollbias

Flag:
    Croatia, Nigeria
    Catdank Faction:
    Children online getting triggered by good bait will always be funny.

9. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

What do you mean man? Endeavor is the real NUMBER 1.

10. Tayimus

The outrage culture we have nowadays is ridiculous.

11. Indra

Most of the Adults on the show are really great characters. I even miss that K-POP looking band of furries we met during the Training Arc. Forgot their names tho :cat

12. Punished Kiba

Most people like him. He's only crucified by SJWs who are a loud vocal minority.

13. Tayimus

14. Aros001

It is just insane some of the hate the author has been getting online, because apparently trying to make an abusive character have more than just one dimension to him makes you an "abuse excuser" or that having the mother acknowledge and regret that she also hurt her son is the same as the author saying the abuse was all her fault, not Endeavor's. Because some people just really hate context. It takes the fire out of their tweet-raging.

The dumbest part about all this hostility towards the author is the fact that Endeavor HASN'T been forgiven for what he's done. His daughter seems the closet but that's mostly just because she wants their family back together, which is a very human thing to want. The mother is too traumatized from the abuse that she hasn't actually seen Endeavor in years because the doctors are worried about what it'd do to her. The older brother made it very clear he wasn't buying that Endeavor had changed. Shoto is the most neutral, simply acknowledging that he knows how much one person can affect someone else (like Midoriya did for him) and that he'll be watching to see what happens.

Basically, all that's happened so far is that Endeavor's family has acknowledged that he wants to make up for all the abuse. He hasn't actually been forgiven for anything, which is good. Things like that take a long time, if it ever even happens at all.

15. SionBarsod

They assume that Horikoshi is trying to excuse his abuse when that's far from the truth. It was amazingly dumb how some readers were mad that Shoto wasn't reacting with absolute glee that Endeavor was getting beaten up like he was in his last fight. Never mind that relationships like that tend to be more complicated than people think.

Reactions to his place in the last japanese popularity poll were golden though.

16. Dragon D. Luffy Moderator

Endeavor is a rather unique character in fiction, as far as I have seen. He is a woman beater who seeks redemption.

Whenever someone introduces a woman beater character in a story, they are pretty much doing it to make the point that beating women is horrible and the one who does that is a monster. You never see those characters as any more than unlikable bastards, because that's the point the author wants to make. Now that makes sense, because domestic abuse is something that we as a society as still coming to terms with the fact it's an issue at all, as you still see people online defending abusers, and politicians trying to legalize abuse. So if you add a domestic abuser in your story, you are making a political message, and you better do it well.

This is different than dealing with a murderer or a thief, for example. We already all agree those are bad, it's not a controversial issue. So you can try to give them more complex character arcs right away and it won't risk ruining any message.

But Endeavor is trying to breach that threshold. He was estabilished first as an unlikable monster, someone you at best love to hate (like All for One, for example). He was cool, but was a bastard, and we were expecting to see him go down or get humilliated. Now Hori went and decided to tread unexplored ground, by having him one day regret his actions and start seeking redemption.

But Hori is not doing that in a childish way. Endeavor wants redemption, but it won't be cheap. His children still hate him. Dabi (assuming he's really his son) is still a villain. His wife is still traumatized for life. Imo the best reaction to it came from Shoto, who said he still hates Endeavor, but is curious to see what he'll do. I share his opinion myself, I want to see where Hori will take it. Because redeeming a wife beater can't be too easy, but I'd like to see someone try. And I like what this maybe says about us: that we are mature enough as a society that we finally agree all wife beaters are criminals, so that we can now start doing redemption stories for them, like we do for murderers and thieves.

Anyway, great character. Very well written so far, with a lot potential to be better. And yeah, he's badass as fuck.

17. Mythoclast

Catdank Faction:
    Hori has handled him really well thus far.

18. Ashi

Catdank Faction:

These replies are very reassuring, people forget that Shoto was kind of a dick too it’s just that he had his dad as a scapegoat for being that he is

Enji just seems like a hateful bitter person, but he’s trying to rectify that so I can appreciate that aspect of his character

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. Gin

i'm psure most people disliked him when all there was to him was domestic abuse so as usual i'm not sure why there's an issue there

it's only post-development that people are starting to like/appreciate him, and it's deserved because his development has been good

20. Tayimus

I still remember the "Even All For One is a better father than Endeavor" comments. :bookerskully

21. BreadBoy

Where's the lie? :zaru

22. Dragon D. Luffy Moderator

90% chance we are going to find out AfO is responsible for whatever sad past Shigaraki has.

23. BreadBoy

I'm not sure. From the looks of things, it looks like he just couldn't control his quirk and he accidentally dusted his parents.

24. Jujubatman12

Wasn't all those people who thought they would excuse his abuse take a L when he showed various reactions from his family and made his son call out his BS? He literally did the opposite and made each of his children show a different reactions because of similar thing in real life.

25. Pliskin

I like him. He reminds me in some ways of Ramsay from GoT. A wifebeater, sure. But he has dimensions.

Ramsay likes dogs and his second gf for example.

26. The Big G

27. Etherborn Moderator

Flag:
    Sokovia

Well, it's easy to like him now that he's going through his own redemption arc, but I imagine the people still hating on him are caught up in the past. Not that surprising since he did some pretty scummy things to his family.

28. ~VK~

I never disliked him. The moment he started having firegasms when todoroki vs deku happened i knew i was seeing a quality character.