1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

I need some book suggestions...

Discussion in 'Reader's Corner' started by angtu, Sep 24, 2006.

1. angtu lost somewhere...

I'm suppose to choose 20 books to read over the course the year for my English class. all the books has to be atleast 150 pages long. I don't really have an idea of what to choose. So can you guys give me some suggestions?

PS. I need fiction books, preferably not too long. around 200 to 300 pages would be best.

Tags:
  2. Sid _

Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel
    A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

3. Sho Active Member

What kind of fiction books are you interested in? Mystery? Fantasy? Sci-Fi? Contemporary? Historical?

It would be easier to recommend some if you were to tell any interests you have towards any genres, and what exactly you're looking for in a book, beyond just page number. In the meantime, I recommend looking through the "Book Recommendations" thread.

4. Yaminake *Hugs all baddies*

His Dark materials by Phillip Pullman

5. destroy_musick Yul Brynner Was A Skinhead

Less Than Zero OR American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis; ultra-violent, psychotic thrillers that caused a huge stir when they came out. I'd recommend them, yup.

Also, Shogun by James Clavell; though it's over a thousand pages long and may take up too much time during your year to read

6. MYK Devoted Otonin

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
    Dragons of Winter Night
    Dragons of Spring Dawning
    Time of the Twins
    War of the Twins
    Test of the Twins
    (not necessarily in order)

all by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

7. Chee Haters Gonna Hate

Personally, I like the Pendragon series. Sorta like Harry Potter...
    But, their around 400 pages each. Eh-heh.

8. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
    The Count of Monte Cristo(abridged) by Alexander Dumas
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault
    Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordhoff and Hall
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
    Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Dafoe
    1984 by George Orwell
    Animal Farm by George Orwell
    The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
    Congo by Michael Crichton
    Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
    The Prince and The Pauper by Mark Twain
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Those are some good books, but they are also fairly short and the teachers will know of them and respect them.

9. I'm with Stupid Not a Bumblebee.

Are you allowed series?

If so, get The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Phenomenal books, plus that's 7 down right there XD

10. Khamzul Read over there ->

If you read The Lord of the Rings (J. R. R. Tolkien) you got 6 books right there (seperated over 3 volumes)

Would also like to recommend "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan.

Hope this helps.

11. HOOfan_1 Kwisatz Haderach

I doubt that the teacher would consider them six books...I am sure they would just consider it 3 books (Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King)

also he said he wanted short books so the 800-1000 page Wheel of Time books are out....perhaps "The Hobbit" by Tolkein would be more appropriate

12. Khamzul Read over there ->

^True. With a little convincing I'm sure the teacher would count them as 6 ^^. To show him/her the seperation (book 1, book 2) in The fellowship of the ring would probably help though. Really depends on the teacher though.

I don't notice how good books are when they are that good though. But he said short, so I was wrong.

"The Hobbit" (J. R. R. Tolkien) is a classic, and a great book. "New Spring" is a novel from Robert Jordan that I can recommend, which in turn can get you addicted to Wheel of time. I'm no good when it comes to short books, so I guess I can't really help much.

13. spinstate chop'em down

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
    Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
    The Light Ages by Ian R McLeod
    Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
    Jonathan Strange And Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
    Cities in Flight by James Blish
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
    To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

14. Heroin 2 Pussies ..

Vampire Hunter D...

15. Catatonik The Prophet in the Pit

Guards, Guards, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett, those three are a damn good place to start and each is an easy, compelling and funny read.

No god but God by Reza Aslan is a brilliantly written and insightful book about the world of Islam. It brings to life the true story nehind it, making it a fascinating read, as well as a call for moral accountability.

The Eagle Has Landed and Lucky Luciano by Jack Higgins are both set in World War 2, in completely different parts of the world, and both stories include a number of true facts that came out of the war. Well written, high intensity, character driven fiction that never lets its grip up.

The I Chong (Meditations on the Joint) by Tommy Chong, is a charmingly witty book, full of odd thoughts, memories of his childhood and time in jail, his family, life and the world in general. It's very intelligent and damn funny to boot.

Dark Moon by David Gemmell is a brilliantly fast paced Fantasy novel, full of all the right epic elements, and above all, fascinating characters. There is a peculiar theme that runs through virtually all of Gemmells novels, no matter the setting..

Neverwhere and American Gods by Neil Gaiman, two sharp and well written books that combine fantasy with the modern world, one a new look at the Alice in Woderland archetype, another, a gleefully dark look at the Gods..in the modern world. I HIGHLY recommend these two books if you like intelligent fantasy.

Make Love! (The Bruce Campbell Way) by Bruce Campbell Just get this one.

16. GreatMarta The almight writer

Sirens of Titan - A rich businessman is otold that he will have to do a journey through three planets to eventually find his destiny, which he cannot escape. This man later on looses all his money and has to agree to go on Mars, not knowing he will have his memory taken away and will have to live as a part of totalitary society, with a thing in his brain that gives the leaders power upon every human on Mars. That's how his journey begin. To put it simple, the book is telling us on how we cannot escape our destiny and how the higher powers may be rulling us since the very beigning.
    Timequake - the last book by the author, being a sum up of his life, with lotsa of different stories and description of so called timequake, menaing the world suddenly turned back to 10 years before and people had to repeat everything they have done thorughout this time, with no free will.
    Slpastick - memories of a 100-something year old last president of the USA, living in the ruins of Empire State Building with his granddaughter and her lover, telling the story of his life and how the world reache dit's compelte defeat.

All three by Kurt Vonnegut (a true genius)

The tales of Otori by Lian Hearn
    A series of three books, action in a wrold based upon old Japan. The main character's village is whipped out, and he is saved by a noble of a once great clan. With his new firend, he discovers his true powers and who he really is, all of a sudden having to find himself in a world of complicated unions, deals and rules of fighting clans.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (very funny)

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
    A series of so far 4 books. A teenage genius discovers that elves, gnomes and so on are living deep underground and he kidnaps one of the fairies, so the others would pay a gigantic amount of gold to get her back. But the fairies won't give up that easily.

17. spinstate chop'em down

Son of Interflux by Gordan Korman - Humorous and one of the best teen novels ever.

18. Gurbik I AM THE FUCKING LEGHORN

Already Dead - Charlie Huston <---- Best vampire book ever, period.

Grendel- John Gardner <---- Beowulf from Grendel's perspective, cool as hell.

Utterly Monkey - Nick Laird <--- Funny, verry entertaining read

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher <--- A fun sci fi series, rad as hell 8 books out quick reads and very addictive

The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Pennman- Bruce Robinson <---- Best book I have read in 6 months, and I read 3 a week.

Choke - Chuck Palahnuik <--- Author of fight club, cool book.

Iam Charlott Simmons - Tom Wulf <---- Great satire incredable read.

Gotta agree with the guy who said Lord of the Flies one of the best ever.

Also The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald <--- Its a classic and prolly my fave book.

If you want books that will just entertain you and read quick, then pick up anything by Dean koontz, Micheal Crichton, or John Grisham. All of their books are worth reading.

19. Reisu Do a Barrel Roll!

of mice and men would be a good one. it's not long at all and a total classic- i regret not being able to read it in my own time rather than in school :)

have a look around on the web, there are plenty of sites where you can read books for free.