1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Ichigo's Bankai Training

Discussion in 'Society TV' started by Firedraconian, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Firedraconian

So, what exactly was the objective there? I know he was basically trying to beat Zangetsu into submission, but it seemed like there were three different fights happening at once.

First, Zangetsu says that only one sword out of hundreds can defeat him, and all the others just shatter. He even says that each sword represents one of Ichigo's weaknesses.

But later on, Ichigo is fighting for 10-15 minutes with each sword before they shatter. What's the point of it, isn't he just wasting time with the wrong sword? Or was Zangetsu lying, and the real point wasn't to find the right sword, but for Ichigo to become skilled enough to win with a faulty sword?

And then we're never shown how he beats Zangetsu and gets bankai!

Tags:
  2. Raiza

I personally didnt pay much attention to that part, quite boring. I wanted to see more captain vs. captain action so I was resless. Plus I knew Ichigo was going to figure it out since he was the main character and can never loose in the end.

3. Firedraconian

Yeah, thanks, that doesn't answer my question at all.

Anyone else?

4. Insipidipity

Yea, I was wondering about that as well. Although he said the former, the latter seemed to be true. Although perhaps he was just getting a better feel of instinctively grabbing the right one.

5. Wobbly

At first, I thought the same thing as you, and that Zangetsu said the former, but meant the latter. I realized something though, and that is Ichigo may have been very well trying to find the right sword, but when you have dozens of identical swordsmen trying to kill you, it would be difficult to say the least.

If Zangetsu made it easy on him, then it could hardly be considered a "trial"......>>
    I think Kubo did that to not spoil us on what Ichigo's bankai appearance and abilities looked like. If we had seen it at that time, then if he went bankai again in Ichigo's last fight with Byakuya, it wouldn't have had the same suprise and awe effect that it had.

6. sceeZer

sorry but how do you know he fights for 15min with each word. although it's been a while since i've seen this i dont remember seeing any "long" fights during the training. most i saw was like 2-3 blocks before the swords shattered...

7. Firedraconian

Well, about halfway through the first day, Yoruichi makes the comment that he's now fighting for five minutes with a single sword. Since he's making such insane progess, it seems logical that he'd continue to improve.

8. jariroth

I think he was overcoming his weaknesses meaning that he could fight longer with each sword... As you can tell when Yoruichi is talking about how Ichigo has improved from his previous fighting style where he was just depending on Zangetsus power.

9. Insipidipity

yea but the difference between 5 minutes and infinite is infinitely long. So one or the other must be true.

10. Firedraconian

Yet the difference between 15 and 5 is only... 10. I'm not sure where infinity came into play.

So, was he really searching for that one sword that would work, or was he just in training to rely more on himself and less on Zangetsu's overwhelming power? Or some combination of the two?

11. sceeZer

i still beliv ehe needed to find the right sword. 15 min and a sword to use permanently is far from eachother... i would still like to see the end of his training. what if he would have gotten the right sword on the first try though? would it be over? doesnt seem like much of a trial

12. Mugiwara

The purpose is to find the "chosen" sword. But with the passing time, ichigo learns how to master his "weaknesses" in this case, the wrong swords. That's my guess... :p

13. Insipidipity

I mean the difference between a sword breaking after 5 minutes(meaning it's a fake) and not breaking ever(hence infinity)(implying it's the real one)

14. slashez

the point of the exercise, as stated in the episode, was for ichigo to, through brute force, beat zangetsu into submission. While zangetsu said that only one of the swords out of all of them could do that, that was just something he said to push ichigo. This is evident because in a later episode, zangetsu explains that each sword that zangetsu created for him is a piece of ichigo's fearful heart. Yoruichi also states that the true purpose of the training for ichigo, was to force him to develop his own ability to rely on his own powers for fighting, not just zangetsu's (like he did vs kenpachi, he had to rely solely on zangetsu). Therefore, the point of the training was for ichigo to cast off his fear of fighting relying on his powers, when he finally accomplished this, he could defeat zangetsu and force him into submission, thus giving him bankai. Essentially, he needed to prove to zangetsu that he is at least just as strong as him, and without that, he couldnt achieve bankai

15. Parell

He wouldn't have been able to. he would have only been able to pick the right sword when he was relying completely on his power and not on Zangetsu's.