1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

If Dragon Ball had begun publication nowadays...

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by MShadows, Jul 8, 2019.

1. MShadows Moderator

What do you think the general reception would've been?

Considering how controversial some of DBS and modern Toriyama's reveals have been, what reveals from the original series would've rustled the fanbase's jimmies had it started in these modern times?

Tags:
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Millón Vasto

Db and Dbz are great because the editors massively and like massivel surpressed the bullshit.

Those editors count for like 40% as to why db fucking rocks. They were on his ass 24/7. They were pricks but pro's.

If db never ran untill now many other anime u see might not have been inspired as much and become the shonen see now one could argue.

U can also argue another show would eventually have taken the spot as originator of modern shonen. I will go with that scenario as that makes more sense to me.

However to me talent is talent. The editors would still be there to smack tori, db would still be well lliker but not as revolutionary as it would have been. Laws would be a factor so it would prolly have to run as a more mature audience or seinen.

People will appreciate action and no fucks given attitude.

It might still be a top anime but not have that legendary status like pokemon. Just because something is tried and done doesnt make it a failure nessisary.

But this is if the editors are still here.

But if this shit was current toriyama without his editors, then he's done.

He will survive db part one as a more young kids orientated goku goes on adventure kinda stick wich by this time won't really stand out. Because one piece and many more would have dibs on that.

He will definately flop hard in dbz. Cause that is just all cliché but then made way shittier with his stupid gags and dumb powerscaling and plotholes. Espicially western fans aint gonna take likely too that shit. Toriyamas gags would be so oldschool by then and out of place its a no go. If toriyama is going to eventually self sabotage as he admitted. Trust me he will succeed.:hestonpls

He better of continuing db as db part one in wich goku grows up but without the saiyan stuff.

That or immeadatly go the isekai/xenoverse/heroes route after part one and do introduce the saiyan stuff but then he needs editors.

Children like the whole trading card and toy crap.

He has options. He could deffo cash in with heroes cause kids are timeless. Beyblade, yugioh b-daman n shit we used to play. Kids love to collect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. JayDZ3

It would still be successful cause prime Toriyama was fucking amazing at drawing especially fights and even otherwise , it’s fucking clean. Character designs are awesome and he could touch your emotions.

However the bullshit he made up on the spot, Boring power system and eventual shafting of side characters would get criticized to no end

4. Namikaze Minato Flash

I think we just have to look at the manga/anime powerhouses of this age that are strongly influenced by DB as a testament to it being well received. You even see some elements of DB in other mediums like Manhwa and Webtoon based works. The inspiration will always be there no matter the times...

But even in Toriyama’s prime, DB had detractors calling the series shit so that crowd will always be around. How vocal they’d be may defer, but DB English dub was heavily censored for a long time back then similar to how it is now...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. MShadows Moderator

The Videl vs Spopovich fight is one thing that would definitely get the pitchfork wielding mob to go after Toriyama in this day and age.

I can already see the SJW articles calling him a sexist pig and calling for the cancellation of the series.

6. Millón Vasto

It's kinda badass how the whole videl spopovich thing is just an average fighy by z standards.:rotfl

Only two fights made me sad as a kid.

Vegeta brutalising goku to point i almost cried as a kid. "I was like let it stop"

Broly with his big metal ass shoes jumping at goku

Goku ssj3 forcefully ramming janemba's head into his own belly.

The way janemba screams his own name made me sad and struggles for life. I was a bit older by then so my eyes werent wattery but still.:wellshit

7. Luiz

Sexualizing kid!Chichi wouldn't be allowed, I'm pretty sure.

8. Plague

As for Z-Era, I think Raditz being wasted would be brought up more. Readers these days seem to be much more particular about story elements. But this is one I'm in agreement on.

9. Blade

if db had begun to be published now

it would been axed from sjw lads :mjlol

10. Millón Vasto

Tori wouldn't care tough. Heck his editors ripped on him on anything.

But big lipped "karikature" nibbas are all ok:hestonpls

Also congratz on almost bieng worth a saiyan saga piccolo(vs nappa) in terms of maximum rating....:blessed

11. Blade

wow

i didn't noticed it for a while now

i got 3,400 maximum ratings

the most maximum ratings in all nf :kobeha

12. Gordo solos

Roshi wouldn’t be in the story

13. OLK

Honestly? I think the reception would be the same as it was back then
    Not a lot of people would care much during the Pilaf arc, then a big boost in fans would happen when the tournament started and Goku started being a badass
    It'd be similar to DBS. People online would bitch about plotholes and contrivances, but youtube vids would have high views and sales would be through the roof

I'd love to see 2019 twitter react to Goku's patpat though :awesome

14. ChadtheGoat

Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and 90% of manga battles would not exist without dbz.

Goku is the 1 main character of battle manga that is Goofy, before that all protagonist was serious like Kenshiro.

90% of the things that DBZ did in the 80s / 90s was not cliche, Goku is the first protagonist in Japan to begin child and become adult.:awesome

15. Spider-Man

:mjlol

:mjlol

16. JayDZ3

You do realize that Toriyama wasn’t the only influence on all these mangaka right? Tetsuo Hara, Otomo, Nagamine, Samura, etc all had influence

17. PFM18

The original Dragon Ball still holds up extremely well. Definitely the best written anime of the bunch by far.

If the original Dragon Ball aired when it did, and Z aired 20 years later today, then it would absolutely get torn to shreds. It would be hated as much as many people hate Super today.

18. ChadtheGoat

yes, but in the Shonen question Akira is the number 1 influence.

Naruto and Luffy would not exist without Goku,and Akira already helped Kubo.

19. Namikaze Minato Flash

Wow didn’t know Toriyama and Kubo had a small working relationship before. That’s dope...:heckk

20. MShadows Moderator

I heard Toriyama helped Putin get his position as president of Russia. He also trained Jackie Chan and taught him everything he knows.

21. JayDZ3

Its an unverified rumor that Toriyama sent Kubo a letter encouraging him not to give up after his first manga got cancelled. Seems plausible but neither kubo or tori has said anything

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  22. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

Considering DBS captured tons of new fans and literally brought the franchise back to life, I think it's very safe to assume DB would've been successful if it had been introduced now. That includes the original DB and that's mainly because the first arc wasnt very successful even back when it first started publishing but really started to pick up steam when it found its footing more as a martial arts action series rather than the gag manga it tried to be during the Pilaf arc. I'm confident that no matter the age it began publishing, DB would've followed the same or a similar path and still remain successful.

23. MShadows Moderator

Now let me ask you guys this. The majority consider the Namek Saga to be peak DBZ, with the Cell Saga building Gohan up as Goku’s successor in a way.

How would people have reacted to the contrasting changes brought by the Buu Saga?

24. OLK

Any complaints about the tone and randomness would be overpowered by SS3, Kid Boo, Majin Vegeta, Ultimate Gohan, and Fusion.
    So the exact same way its treated now

25. MShadows Moderator

Considering how lots of people were vocal about Gohan’s on and off treatment in DBS, I think people would do the same regardless early Buu Saga Gohan.

26. OLK

People love Ultimate Gohan, but complain about him getting shelved for Goku
    People complain about Goku and Vegetastealing the spotlight, but love SS3 and Vegetto
    Boo is criticized for being another regen villain, but also praised for his unique moveset
    The plot is goofy, random, and nonsensical, but it has some of the best looking fights of the series

27. Keishin

WSJ would be in a low position and we wpuldnt have movies as they all copy paste the dbz format.

Bleach movies
    Naruto movies
    Nnt movie
    One piece movies
    Hxh movies
    Mha movie
    FT movie

All nothing but shit copy paste

28. Nevan

It would still be successful and entertaining.

Dragon Ball is a lot of things, but predictable is not one of them.

29. Hazard