1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

If you practice a martial art...

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by mysterious_w, Jul 25, 2005.

1. mysterious_w

What grade are you, and how long have you been practicing?

I've been doing WTF taekwondo for 6 and a half years, and I'm a 1st dan black belt.

Tags:
  2. Whooosh

Thats hard to do, how often do you go in for practice and strength building?

3. mysterious_w

At the mo, I'm training 4 times a week, but when I got my 1st dan, it was only twice a week.

4. Chamcham Trigger

I go to a boxing gym there aren't any grades but weight classes. I only go there to train and exercise...nothing professional.

5. narutofan__man

me too, boxing work out is great, you feel pains the next morning in places you never thought had muscles, lol.

6. Whooosh

Nice, thats my current schedule I actually just came from my strength building class. >.< I can't feel my arms, its great

7. mysterious_w

What the heck is a strength-building class?

We just have normal lessons, and fighting training once a week if you want to do sport fighting.

8. Praetoriani

I've been doing Karate for 4 months now, still a whitey. ^_^

Going to do Kendo too.

9. OtacontheOtaku

I'm approaching the 9th month of my study of Wing Chun Kung-Fu. I'm currently on the level of a blue sash.

10. azn_sephiroth

I'm really know grade, i just box around.

11. imchemist

I only trained two weeks of kung fu before I broke my elbow...I had to quit because my father was too adament that girls should be more demure...

12. Gisaku Kimura

I've been going to my Budo Taijutsu Dojo two times a week for a little less than four months now, and at the present moment I'm a 9th kyu. (green belt at my Dojo) My Dojo has a requirement of a minimum of 3 months of training to advance in rank, I was wondering what yours are if you know...
    Come to think of it, I'm going to class for about 3 hours tonight... I better get a good lunch.

13. KupoExMachina

Hm, I do Tang-soo-doo (Current rank is Orange-Blue). But lately, i've been doing a LOT of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, which im only a yellow belt. You need to be at least 16 to get a blue belt, so im stuck with a kids belt. Im also doing a tournament soon, hope i do well. :D

14. Gisaku Kimura

Hey, good luck with the tournament. :smile-big

15. Smitty

I am soon going to be a level 2 in Northern Shaolin Kungfu. Been doing it for about a year now.

16. Praetoriani

How sexistic. I feel sorry for you.

Perhaps you should do a Martial Art that's generally thought of to be tamer, whilst in reality isn't so? Like Karate, Taekwondo, Tae Bo (especially this one for girls)?

17. Uchiha Chris

I'm active at training studios.
    One day i might start with some real fighting ;)
    Cause i gotta say, Sasuke's taijutsu style, who doesn't want to learn that? :p

18. GSurge

I don't practice any, but felt like posting and saying "good for you" to you active whipperschnappers.

19. Whooosh

Oh, the way my classes work is that 3 out of 4 classes you come in and just
    spar and do things that will help you become strong enough to actually do damage if you ever needed to use your 'art' shall me call it? Then one of the four days you go to a private class where you work to prefect your forms and the way you block, punch, and kick or use weapons

20. minnatrix

Unlike you guys, I practice a highly peaceful art, although it can sometimes hurt. 3 months ago, some guy messed up my wrist with a wristlock that was applied with too much force, and to this day I still feel slight pain. Anywho, I've been practicing Aikido for about 1 month, and I basicly missed out on 3 months because of my wrist, but I just recently started going again.

21. Lorii

i did southern wushu shaolin, i was to my 3rd form and going into the art of the long sword, i've been doing it for 2yrs..now i'm looking to start krav maga

22. blacklusterseph004

I currently practice capoeira. Because of my studies though, I attend the university classes. As such its more for fitness, it isn't as hardcore as the other local clubs. I train myself pretty hard though, and the instructors that we have had have all contributed something unique to my technique. I train twice a week for 2 and a half hours, but I'm still on the lowest belt because I haven't been graded yet (study schedule to blame). There is only one person in South Africa who can grade students, but I'm no longer a part of his club. The masters in the other associations are all overseas, so its hard to organise the Batizado (gradings)

23. fusion00

i have been doing wushu for about a year now, the wepon forum are great! its so fun

24. Whooosh

I'll agree with that. My specialty is working with the sai how about you?

25. raanan

Shotokan Karate here. Currently 7th qyu of 9 (orange belt). Started the beginning of last school year. Rank testing is once a semester (translates to 3 times a year).

26. Chamcham Trigger

I always wanted to learn Shotokan or Gojyu, but what I really wanted to learn and missed the chance to do so, was Hungar.

27. Hef

I used to do Tae Kwon Do. After I got my yellow belt (the second XD) I stopped, though. The atmosphere wasn't for me. :sweatdrop

28. Gisaku Kimura

Me and my Sensei were just talking about krav last night, an interesting art I do say.
    Also,(directed at everyone) what are the main weapon arts that are tought in your Dojo? For me they teach Kukishinden ryu, it mainly uses the Bo staff and Katana, but we basically have a system for just about every weapon.

29. Wing-Zero

Ok in shotokan karate i was a purple belt i think and i missed a test so my next test he was gonna let me combine the brown and black test BUT THE PLACE CLOSED DOWN!!!!!!!!! 6 years and also I am taking a style called FujiKan (info here that is also my teacher) and also he had a Fujikan wepons thing where the class is pure wepons and i been taking both fujikan things for about 2 years (green belt in normal, black belt in wepons)

30. Gisaku Kimura

Yeah my Dojo has seperate classes specifically for weapons where they switch up what weapon they use, and weapon sparring on saturdays, but the belts aren't seperate for weapons and non weapons.
    <- Our web site.