1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Anime Awards for 2017 part 3 commences with genre awards! Please leave a vote or comment in one of the following competition threads!

1 2 3 4 5 6
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

If you were a Shonen Battle mangaka

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by Skilatry, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Skilatry Well-Known Member

Would you make a tier list for your manga and stick to it, or would power levels not mean much to you? Since a common complaint I see in shonen is how power levels are inconsistent. :caticon

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Fry J Vigilant

3. BlueDemon Demon

An internal logic/consistency has to be established and it can get quite grating when it's being ignored a lot of times.

4. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

The main interest is that a tier list has to be created as a baseline when the manga start. Now what's interesting is that the manga can defy expectations when he stick to this rule or defy it openly.

When a character grow stronger, when the idea for it is interesting and when it's well executed then we can assume this is a good manga.
    If the idea sucks and or the execution sucks then there is no point in doing it.

Some mangakas sticks to their tier list for the longest time and then say "Screw It", pulls a 180° and nothing makes sense anymore.
    Others sticks to it, while making gradual and progressive changes with the scenario.

5. Djomla Jedi Master

Nah. I would make popcorns, log online and laugh my ass off watching people fight over this and that.

6. Xel fuubae

What I do for my original fiction is come up with various relations between powers (i. e. everything has strengths and weaknesses and they interact in different ways). The power levels are more or less consistent but the powers themselves get new developments. Each ability has limitations and even the "god" of the universe (aka a being who is almost omnipotent) has a pretty well-defined set of skills (and there are reasons they're like that). The reason it's godlike is that it's the only being able to "shift" between different power states without destabilizing.

So basically the "magic" system itself has certain basic principles/laws (though they're pretty elaborate) and everything else is built upon it. Meanwhile the actual combat feats of characters fall into a few categories with many variations.

7. Karyu Endan Smilies = Not serious

A story needs consistent rules as to how its power system works. Ideally these rules are outlined fairly early in the story and never flat-out broken. A powerful antagonist or new power-up may appear to break them when introduced, but on closer examination they should never contradict with what came before.

Beyond that, power levels are largely pointless and if anything, are a detriment to a story. Strongly adhering to power level tiers means that the next opponent must always be more powerful than the previous one to retain tension. This invariably leads to power creep and side characters becoming irrelevant by their inability to catch up. The focus should instead be on what characters can do instead of how strong they are. That way, if a character fills a niche that no one else can, they remain relevant so long as the author can keep coming up with ways for that ability to matter, even if the current antagonist is several orders of magnitude stronger than them.

8. Amol Chief of Wisdom

I know some people like to pretend that Powerlevels don't matter to shonen but of course they are just talking out of their ass.
    Internal consistency within Powerlevels is one of the most important part of successful shonen. Without that consistency plot doesn't make sense. You started to get impression that anything can happen for the sake of convenience which ruins the manga .
    Some mangaka go crazy with Powerlevels in the end like Kishimoto for example. Some plans for long term like Oda. I prefer long term planning.

9. Rifulofthewest Active Member

I made a characters with the same powerlevel, and decide who win the battle using strategy, ventages and inconvenients with the plot. Just like in the blade of the inmortal, where the most of characters are in equal level, but sometimes they have a problem (have tetanus, or dont have an arm), or and avantege, like be inmortals.

10. ~Avant~ Eveningstar

I had an idea once for my own battle manga. Made 5 Tiers for the characters to be able to fall into, but kept the range of the tiers fairly open and loose to keep things interesting.

For example, people in the top tier could range anywhere from Island to Country level in DC, and from Massively Hypersonic to Relativistic in Speed. This allows someone who's faster in the same tier, to clash with someone who has a higher DC, and of course take into account there parameters of their individual abilities and how the interaction of those abilities would determine the outcome of the fight.

11. Ignition Matara Dukkah

Of course it needs consistency, something like Naruto starting from a talentless dude at 12 to a demi-god at 16 is ridiculous when it blows the entire secondary cast into the trash.

The opposite of this is FT where the entire main cast faces any enemy without difficulty and struggles whatsoever. So yes there needs to be a coherent balance in the universe of the manga.

12. Rax The Evil Within The Embers

Are you retarded?

13. The Mathemagician Headshot Productions

I'd have power levels be relevant to an extent. I'd use a similar spirit class system to YuYu, but I'd also make it somewhat like HxH to where matchups would play a significant role in how many fights would go down. Obviously if you're power is so leaps and bounds ahead, then there's nothing the other could do (in most situations).

14. MusubiKazesaru Moderator Moderator

There should be an established who's better than who that exists, but characters can always improve and to whatever extent use smarts and creative use of their abilities to win. It's important to make sense, but to not be rigid.

15. Araragi loneliness is a wave Moderator

Look, as long as they ain’t getting up to clash with a meteor after having all their bones smashed by a dragon, I think either works fine in most shounen.

:donk

16. ~Avant~ Eveningstar