1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Think your debating skills are the best around? Want to prove that your know what your talking about? Then come and join us for a Tournament and show your peers how to really debate.
    OBD Tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Increase Your Bittorrent Speeds with Azureus Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tech Hub' started by shijuto, Mar 5, 2005.

1. shijuto

If you have high speed internet and a router, AND you use Azureus, this tutorial is for you. When you have asked how to increase your speeds has the only response been "You have to open your ports"? Well i will show you how to do that. I have a Linksys router, so if you do to then you can follow along exactly. If you have a different brand, you might have to get out your manual to find out how to change the same settings for your router, because i only know how to work the version i have, so dont ask me about how to fix yours, because i dont know.

1. The first step is to check what ip address your router has assigned to the computer you are trying to increase the speeds on. To find out, you would go into the start menu and click on the "Run" command. In the dialog box, type in "command" minus the quotes and click OK.

2. When the command prompt window opens, type in "ipconfig" minus the quotes and hit enter.

3. Write down the number next to the IP Address: field. You will need it for later.

4. Type exit and hit enter to close the command prompt window and open Azureus.

5. Stop all of your torrents by selecting them all and pressing the square red stop button on the toolbar between the start and remove buttons.

6. You will now have to restart Azureus, so you can either go into the file menu and select Exit, or right click the icon in the system tray and select exit. Clicking the red X in the top right corner will not do it. It will just minimize it to the system tray. Now that you have completely shut down Azureus, go into the start menu to programs and start Azureus again.

7. Once Azureus has started again, in the tools menu, select the Configuration Wizard option.

Tags:
  2. shijuto

8. From this dialog box you can tweak your connection settings by specifying the connection type, but this is not what we are concerned with so just click Next.

9. Once you are at the "NAT / Server Port" screen, what you are going to do is first notice the number in the "Incoming TCP Listen Port" field. The default is 6881, but i dont recommend you using this number, because some ISPs are blocking it for some weird reason. Before you change any settings, click on the test button. If you get the OK message like below:

Then you are fine and you dont need to continue this tutorial and your speeds are just slow as a coincidence. But if you get the following NAT error message:

Then you can continue with this tutorial.

10. Choose any random number above 10000 but below 49000. Remember this number, for you will need it for later. Enter it into the "Incoming TCP Listen Port" field and click next. Then just click Finish to exit the wizard.

11. Open your favorite web browser, FireFox in my case and in the address field, type "192.168.1.1" minus the quotes as usual. If you have never changed anything on your router before, the default password is "admin". As a side note it is important that you should change this default password, if that is what it still is set at, as it would be easy for someone to get in and mess with your settings if you dont. Your router manual will tell you how to change your password, however it might be as easy as just clicking the password tab and entering a new one. Leave the username field blank and enter your password in the password field.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2005
  3. shijuto

12. Once you are into the router setup, you should see a screen something like the following:

What we are looking for is the Forwarding tab. it could also be named Port Forwarding, or something to that effect. In my case, you have to click on the advanced tab before you can see the appropriate tab.

13. In the customized applications field, enter Azureus, it doesnt really matter with this field though, it is just for you to remember what program that setting is for. Enter the port number you chose in the configuration wizard step into both of the Ext. Port fields. Check the Protocol TCP Port Checkbox, and enter the IP address that you determined for your computer in the beginning. Make sure you check the Enable checkbox and you can click apply.

14. You can now close your browser and go back to Azureus. Run the configuration wizard again, and click the test button. If you got the OK message, congratulations! you are finished. If you still get the NAT error message, try running the tutorial again, to make sure you didnt forget any steps. If all went well you can select all of your torrents and click the green start button and enjoy. It may take a few hours for the speeds to start raising, as the trackers will realise that you are now sharing as you should and so wont be snubbed or anything. Good Luck!

4. santosj

Transfer Speeds

Note: Sorry for the double post, but I think this should be added in another post in case the other was ignored. I also decided to hijack your thread since it is related to the subject matter.

-----------------------

People make reference to Kb and KB, which are two different things. Sure they both use a 'K' (which should be lowercase but no matter) and have the letter 'b' in them but the difference is what they mean.

Kb = Kilobit or a 1024 (or 1000) bits.
    KB = Kilobyte or 1024 bytes or 8,192 bits.

You see the difference: 1 Byte = 8 bits.

So if you are going to say that 50 Kb/s is fast, then you must be on dial-up or behind a firewall that isn't configured right.

5. shijuto

My original plan was to say something about the default password, but i guess i forgot. I have added it now

6. DaShiouLong

WOW!!! i posted a thread about increasing speeds a day ago and u suddenly come along! thanks! it worked!!! love u man!!!

7. coolest hokage al

wait...

kbp or KBp or Kbp or kBp = kilobytes
    kp or Kp = kilobits

as i am sure.

anyway excellent tutorial. i have one (off topic) question, do you know how make azuerus use less rescourse and memory because they eat lots of rescourse and memory due to java.

8. santosj

You were misinformed. I can assure you in that anywhere you go, Kb is going to be kilobits and KB is going to Kilobytes. I'm not just talking out of my ass. You could be talking about dialup modems and that is another case of Marketing fault.

I'm going to check the source and see what they are doing. It would be possible to create an Azureus lite with just the basic features and different UI. I'm going to look into it and see if it is possible. The coding is pretty good and I think they have a really good reason for what they do.

I think the reason why they store a lot in RAM is because they would have to do a lot of IO operations on the hard drive and over time that would cause a lot of wear and tear. It is also faster to store it in RAM, so that it can access and then upload.

It seems they work like Novell Netware when it comes to managing RAM. The only problem is that the software can't manage RAM well because it isn't an OS. That said, you can rewrite the memory management so that it drops the data after it reaches a certain amount.

As for CPU cycles, I can understand with all of the Hash checking why it can use so much resources. Damn, with BitTornado, I could run 8 torrents without using 99% of cpu and only used about 200 MB of physical RAM.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  9. WolfFang

I don't think we did that, but our internet connection is ungodly fast. Last night when i was downloading Naruto, it got up to about 300 Kb/Seconds. I'm not kidding either.

10. shijuto

ive gotten up to 600 on an episode before, where it finished downloading in about 5 minutes

11. shinjuu

wow impressive tutorial, i have a alcatel 510 speedtouch(i think, im at school now so i cant check) router and dont have f'in clue how to forward my ports since there isnt any forwarding tab at the NAT options

12. santosj

If you're unfortunate enough to have a router that doesn't allow forwarding of ports, then you're pretty much screwed. I would also recommend you buy a router that can and do so.

Your school will most likely block the Bittorrent ports, if it hasn't done so already and yes, you have no power over the school router.

13. shijuto

well if you fo in fact have the alcatel 510 speedtouch, then this pdf file has a section called How to Configure Port Forwarding.

14. scazza

thank god for easy router configuring, i remember back in the day where u manually had to upload settings to the router using old methods...

15. Agile Sloth

I didn't follow this tutorial but a similiar one and man my speed went up so much. Before I would be happy to see maybe 100 kb/s but now I am at an average of 270 kb/s.

16. Tenderfoot

man thank u for the tutorial, nno more speeds *grins*

17. Ichimaru Gin

I have very very fast BT speeds already, just downloaded Sin City Great movie BTW, but down the my rant. I would try your tut just to see if any gains, but im happy with my speed now and i don't trust changeing all that stuff because it will most likely come back and bite me in the ass someway or the other, but good luck to the people who do try it.

18. Ganryu

Any help for those of us using a D-Link Router?

19. Kniferkia

love this tutorial! thanks. helped me a lot :)+.

20. Kagalli

Well... for some reason when I go to Run>Command and type in ipconfig then hitting enter... it won't respond to it. After I type it... the whole thing just kinda hangs and semi-freezes. I've even tried waiting 10 minutes but all there is is just a little line blinking.
    Can anyone help figure out what the problem is? I'm running winXP

21. Toiletnojutsu

I always get the NAT-error.

22. dmby

open up more ports, and disable your firewall

23. Toiletnojutsu

How do I open more ports

24. dmby

thats the hard part. First, tell me what type of router you have.

25. Toiletnojutsu

aww, damn. Type?

The name of it is topcom xplorer or something.

And my ip is screwed up.

26. dmby

IP screwed up? how so?

27. Toiletnojutsu

I don't have the standard 192.168 ..

OR is that bad?

28. dmby

ummm.... What? how do you not? tell me your external IP and internal IP. Then tell me your internet provider. And then go look at your router, tell me the make and model number.

Actually, just get the router/internet provider to start with.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  29. Toiletnojutsu

Nah I don't think we need to go through all that hassle. I think this has something to do with the LAN party I attended. And I live in norway, so I don't think you are that familiar with the internet providers here.

30. dmby

Yeah, I wouldn't know, i live in New Hampshire... Ohe well, just fuck with it and youll get it eventually.