1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting... Rock Lee is still Rock Lee

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Kimi Sama, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Kimi Sama

I havnt seen the dub yet (I live in the UK, which is anime deprived) but I saw the long trailer on the Viz website, and it goes through all of the rookie 15 using the animation from the Harukakanata opening sequence, and the voice over says their names.

He said all of the first names, but still said "Rock Lee". Kind wierd, since thats his full name, and also because it still uses the Japanese way of saying it, whereas everyone else has been Westernized (Naruto Uzumaki, etc)

Anyone else notice that? I suppose it's a good thing since "Lee Rock" is a very lame name.

Tags:
  2. TenshiOni

Umm...you actually thought they would say, "Lee Rock?" :blink

I mean, I know where you're coming from....but, c'mon. XD

3. Shadow of the Lotus

Rock Lee sounds too cool to be anything else. Also, it plays up the entire "Bruce Lee" pun/allusion they have going in the japanese one. I can't imagine it as anythign other than Rock Lee, and I'm glad they kept it that way. Hopefully Maito Gai is still Maito Gai. Gai Maito just sounds lame...

4. Gejimayu

Actually, even in the Japanese his "first name" is "Rock" the same way "Uzumaki Naruto" has the "first name" of "Naruto". It's because the Japanese retain the original naming order for foreigners who are named "Given name/Family name" as opposed to the Japanese way of "Family name/Given name"

5. Kucheeky Badkuya

Lee Rock, would have riots. Since there are tons of Rock Lee fans. I hope they don't screw up anyone up.

6. iggyspeedstars

It was obvious it was going to stay the same or else we would have Lee Bruce or Lee Jet

7. Ruri

I doubt they would change Gai's name around. Well, at least I hope they don't...:S

8. kakoishii

you never know they might go Gai Maito just the same as they will probably go Kakashi Hatake regardless to how easily Hatake Kakashi flows.

9. Lord-Mortez

Rock Lee does not sound very japanese, and it's a cool name so i guess uhh, they left it in because of he's damn white teeth :D

10. SeruraRenge

I had always thought that "Rock" was just something he added onto his name, and he simply has the name "Lee". It would make sense, since no one else says "Rock Lee", not even Gai. Only he refers to himself as that.

11. Kimi Sama

I wasnt entirely sure what they'd do with his name. It's good to see that the dub team have put sounding good over following the rules.

Then again, I suppose even the terrible 4kids dub of One Piece retains Monkey D. Luffy and Roronoa Zoro's name orders, even if they have made Zoro "Zolo". If a piece of crap dub like that can do it for the sake of sounding good, I suppose it's not too suprising this high quality one could manage it.

Are you sure Rock is his given name? I'm not so sure, cause everyone always calls him Lee - even Gai, who is practically his dad, calls him Lee-kun.

12. rarr

Rock Lee is meant to be Chinese, who follow the given/surname pattern that is used in America - he's a ripoff of Bruce Lee, and if you talked about Bruce Lee in Japan you wouldn't say Lee Bruce.

13. CWar

They call him Lee in the Japanese anime, how will they call him in CN? Rock? Lee? I suppose still his last name since that's what Americans call Bruce Lee or any other Chinese.

14. Procyon

Naruto Names, the American Way?

15. n8dogg

I'm pretty sure Lee is his "first" name, although you could just clump both Rock and Lee together to make one name. Maybe he doesn't have a surname at all? (Where are his parents? I know I would be a bit scared if my son kept hanging out with a creepy guy and acting as though he's his twin...

16. Ryu Kazama

Yes, Rock Lee sounds superior.

As for Maito Gai....switched to Gai Maito, I can already see the pronounciation and the crowd laughing at the name:

'Gay My-Toe'. OH MY GOD! That would be hilarious but insanely stupid at the same time. There's always that chance tey'll say "Gay" instead.

17. Low-fi Boy

If dub-watchers see 'Rock Lee' as his first name, does that mean they'll all call him 'Rock' as his first name then?

18. TheVileOne

More silly discussions :) .

19. kakoishii

well, I think it's quite obivous that "Lee" is his first name considering that everyone in the Narutoverse whether it's child or teacher or whatnot adresses each other by their given names.

20. Sonic4390

as far as the dub goes, rock lee could be just a nickname, while his last name is unknown. -_^

21. SeruraRenge

not just the dub, it could be for the sub and manga too. Lee's and Tenten's last names are total engimas.

22. Gejimayu

I will never understand how threads like this last longer than the first page. It's already been confirmed that 1) His name is already in the Western order and 2) "Rock" is his first name, (like "Naruto" is Naruto's "first name"), and "Lee" is his last name. Period, end of discussion, lock and trash time.

23. TDM

They better not change Rock Lee's name because it has a resemblence to Bruce Lee which is copyrighted or something stupid.

24. Rudox

They should just call him Brock Lee.:eyeroll

25. Kamzy

Such a big thread over something so obvious, all the points given so far, the pun on Bruce lee, him self being an American, so wouldn?t go under Japanese naming styles, is the blinding fact of how much a name like lee rock sucks!,
    Seriously, regardless of naming traditions, or keeping to the original dialog of naruto. you have 10 guys sitting in marketing, storyboard etc, you really think they are going to take and already Americanised appealing name like ?Rock Lee? and fuck it up so it sound like a retard trying to speak French ?

This thread is a no brainier,

26. Mizura

Then why the hell do everybody call him "Lee-san" or "Lee-kun", when Everybody else use people's first name to address them? Naruto-kun, Sasuke-san, Sakura-san, Everybody.

27. ShounenSuki

You have a point, but why does the second databook, with gives english names in western order for every character (e.g. Kakashi Hatake, Naruto Uzumaki), give "Rock Lee" and "Might Guy" instead of "Lee Rock" and "Guy Might"?

Besides that, Lee is a Chinese surname.

I guess we won't find out until we meet Lee's family ^^

28. Gaia

I think that it's better than Lee Rock or even Bruce Lee O_o

29. DarkDragon

Rock Lee

i would like to say some thing about Rock lee i hope they won't change it due to they Took the name Rock Lee for Brue Lee So i don't think they will change it do to that

30. blind51de

"Lee" was always Rock Lee's surname, just like "Gai" will be Gai's.

I don't intend to argue the point, and I did argue it to HELL about a year ago. But this should be the end-all of the issue.