1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

International Treaty bans use of cluster munitions

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by iander, Aug 2, 2010.

1. iander

Tags:
  2. Razgriez

You can kill them. You just cant cause an excessive amount of pain when you do. Where is the logic in that?

When a real war kick starts again you bet your ass that all these silly little rules will be thrown out the window and every sorry mother fucker is going to be ruthlessly killed by just about anyone for no damn reason. None of that protesting shit is going to work either cause you'll be too busy either getting your head blown off or hiding in a ditch balling your eyes out hoping that there is a god to come rescue you from the horrors we can unleash upon ourselves.

3. Shinigami Perv

I think they're banned because the bomblets don't all explode. They can hang around after the war and maim playing children.

The United States should ban these.

4. Razgriez

Thats why I am a firm believer in not letting my children play in mine fields.

5. hcheng02

Most important part of the article. So basically the countries that actually fight wars and use their armies are not signing up to this treaty. And the treaty really has no way to enforce itself to those countries. So its pretty much worthless.

6. Elim Rawne

Isn't this the treaty where everyone except the nations who cluster bombs signed ?

7. Shinigami Perv

It's not a minefield. If these are used near cities, on beaches, etc. they become minefields even though the intent was never there. It's about as rational as scattering mines randomly.

After a war civilians don't actually know where all the cluster bombs were dropped, much less children. And lord knows how far they scatter when they impact with the ground and explode.

8. Mist Beauty

An injured opponent is better than a dead one, as much manpower is required at the time. But the bombs seem to be used because of the spread, usefulness, etc.

The fact that several bombs are still hidden in the soil, ending lives instantly is pretty depressing.

This reminded me of the humane India curry bombs.

EDIT:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the countries that didn't ratify the convention. Lol @ USA for being pretty ambiguous "We'll reduce them to 1%" The number is probably already in/near that area.

inb4 peta

9. Razgriez

Stuff is going to be so fucked up after dropping that shit worrying about children playing with random crap in the woods 50 years from then should be the least of your worries at the time.

Edit- Too many shits in one sentence.

10. CrazyMoronX

11. Razgriez

They are only the best kinds when they are loaded with agent orange.:nuts

Injured opponents are only good at luring in more unsuspected victims to help increase your kill count.

12. Psycho

cluster bombs are meant to maximize damage in the surrounding area, anything around (including but not limited to: children, schools, pregnant women, hospitals and random people) will be damaged in case of a cluster bomb, something that is unacceptable in a modern world where people aim to make more precise weapons and minimize the collateral damage caused during attacks

13. Razgriez

You forgot kittens and puppies to that list.

14. Psycho

i'm too lazy, but you can get my point, can't you?

15. Mist Beauty

No one bombs kittens and puppies. Not even

EDIT: Ewoks/Wookies don't count.

16. iander

13 out of the 26 countries affected by cluster bombs who now have a timetable for clearing them.

17 out of the 34 countries that have produced cluster bombs can no longer produce and trade them to other countries.

7 out of the 14 countries that have used cluster bombs in conflicts can no longer use them.

This treaty has basically halfed the number of countries that previously produced, stockpiled, traded, and used cluster bombs.

More than 107 countries have banned the production, use, stockpile and transfer of cluster bombs, and the weapon has been so stigmatized that its use in future conflict has become much less likely, even amongst non-signatories.

17. Razgriez

That term is too board and could be interpreted into anything.

18. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Won't change a thing, every major military force in the world has not signed the treaty:

U.S. and Russia especially are the 2 biggest users of them by far. And of those 2 Russians especially as their precision munitions suck balls so they try to make up for it via accuracy by volume.

Though Lebanon is already in breach of the treaty despite its signature. A militia dubbed a legitimate "national resistance group" by the country uses Iranian-made Type 81 Cluster Munitions.

19. dreams lie

Oh come on, why don't you guys just outlaw war ? I mean, this must be working out so well for you guys.

20. Evil Ghost Ninja

I'd say about 75% of the time you sound like an angry Vietnam war vet. :nod

21. Razgriez

People dont seem to get the idea of war is either utterly obliterate your opponent or at least beat him senseless into submission so he gives up.

These "silly" laws will just go out the window when people really get pissed. Of course by then the use of cluster bombs will be the least of our worries when we start thinking of using chemical, biological and nuclear weapons. I for one would prefer an nuclear exchange over the 3 cause at least I would have a chance to be instantly vaporized instead of just slowly killed by extremely painful methods.

22. 0ne Winged Angel

If I'm not mistaken raz has served in the military?

People who have actually served in combat and seen what goes on have a vastly different view point than those of us who sit at home, taking care of our normal responsibilities.

23. Razgriez

I havent seen combat. Hopefully I never will have to.

I was military police though so dealing(and being one) with douche bags is my specialty.

I do however understand those who have been. Im assuming Mael most likely has since hes in the army and MH since hes in the IDF. I do really value and respect their opinions of matters over just about anyone else on these forums.

I can spot someone who really knows what the hell they are talking about compared to someone who is completely full of shit.

24. nee4speed111

If none of the Major Military powers signed this then it's really pointless to think it will change anything in Warfare.

Well it looks like Australia signed it, but then again were not exactly a Huge Military Power.:oh

25. butcher50

good to know that russians will bomb the shit out of all islamic shitholes soon.

26. Psycho

war as we know it won't last forever, a powerful country can easily take over a small country through a series of economic measures whereas it'll have an incredibly hard time invading it

27. Darklyre

The need for area-denial munitions will never go away. How else are you going to deny an airfield, for instance? Using multiple precision bombs would be prohibitively expensive, whereas a single cluster bomb would take out the entire target.

28. Muk

what a useless treaty .... and they spend money on those lawyers and what not just to get this useless treaty passed? :argh

29. Psycho

this is where people tend to disagree with me:

if we could trust the military to use cluster bombs exclusively on big military-only areas with little to no risk of damaging the civilian population, then i would have no objection to their use; but we can't, so i think it's safer to either outright ban them or at least create and enforce strict regulations about their use

30. Cardboard Tube Knight

The end of this thread title should say "fails"