1. NF staff is currently looking to add new advisors. We are pulling from all areas of the site. If you're interested, feel free to create a Staff Conference Room thread to discuss the details. Click here for more general info and discussion.
    Dismiss Notice

2. Ho ho ho! It is time to celebrate!

Christmas is coming, and we invite you to join the NFs Ho-Ho-Holidaze Event!

Dismiss Notice
  3. NF Game of the Year nominations have started. Stop by the Arcade.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Maiden

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by Roƅ, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Roƅ Suck my dick, Suit

Germany
    So basically since I can remember, Iron Maiden has been hailed as one of the GOATs by pretty much most people that listen to this type of music. I could never get on board because I simply never really listened to them. The few songs I had heard were alright, but nothing to write home about. I've been telling myself for a very long time that I need to sit down and listen to some Iron Maiden, and finally got around to doing so about a week ago. I'm almost done with Powerslave. Killers was fucking fantastic and Iron Maiden was decent.

To give this thread more of a purpose, post your favorite Iron Maiden songs and recommendations.

Edit: I also listened to a bit of Number of the Beast.

Tags:
  2. MrPopo Well-Known Member

Don't know alot about Iron Maiden but this is my favourite Iron Maiden song

3. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    My favorite Maiden song will always be Purgatory.

Another one is Phantom of the Opera Live. Not the studio version. The entire musical section in the middle is so freaking awesome that it leaves me in awe.

In reality, I dig all their songs. I love the guitar harmonization they pull out.

Caught Somewhere in Time
    Montsegur
    The Ides of March
    Fear of the Dark
    Transylvania
    Futureal
    To Tame a Land
    The Prisoner

4. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I don't have any favourite songs, but I do worship some of their albums. Iron Maiden, Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave and Somewhere in Time are close to flawless. None of these albums have a single weak second throughout them, and that is quite impressive.

I also find The Number of the Beast really good, but the first half is just too superior to the second half. And it's not like I find the last four tracks bad or anything, they're all very, very good. It's just that I think the first four are way, way better.

Brave New World and Dance of Death also have plenty good music on 'em, but they're both 20-30 minutes too long. Amazing at their best, but way, way, way too uneven. But I'll rather play these two than the über classic Seventh Son of a Seventh Son for reasons I'll state below.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son ain't a bad album, but it's even more uneven and it has their worst song ever on it in form of Can I Play with Madness which is nothing short of embarrassing. One of the worst songs I've ever heard no matter band and genre. But even if you had removed that, it's still uneven as fuck. Amazing at its best, embarrassing at its worst. And because I play a lot of vinyl and tape, skipping tracks is kinda hard. So I'll rather not bother with that and just skip the entire album.

The rest is pretty much wank IMO.

Saw them live earlier this year. Didn't expect much at all, and I only went just so I could say that I had seen them live. But I was pleasantly surprising to say the least. Was an amazing gig. The energy was top notch, the overall sound was really good and the tracklist was to my big surprise very good. Even songs like For the Greater Good of God, Sign of the Cross and The Clansman worked really well live. Especially Sign of the Cross and The Clansman were just stunning live. Fantastic!

5. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

I only recently became a fan of Iron Maiden, several years ago, and I am very glad that I did, since their music is awesome. I saw them live in concert in 2016 and I own ten of their sixteen albums (Iron Maiden though Seven Son of a Seventh Son, Brave New World, The Final Frontier, and The Book of Souls). They have been eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 2005 (having released their first album in 1980), and they definitely deserve to be, in my mind, so I believe that it is a great injustice that they have never even been nominated for induction, let alone inducted.

@Uncle Acid, what is your opinion of the two albums with Blaze Bayley (The X Factor and Virtual XI)?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  6. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan and I think both are pretty bad, but I don't think they're close to being the worst albums in Iron Maiden's discography. I consider both miles ahead of A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls. They're not really any worse than No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark either.

After seeing them live I've become quite a fan of The Clansman and especially the fantastic The Sign of the Cross, that includes the studio versions with Blaze Bayley.

So while I'm not a fan myself, they're underrated as far as Iron Maiden goes. Half the hate and dislike comes from it not featuring Bruce Dickinson, and not because they're as bad as half the fanbase claims.

What about you?

7. DemonDragonJ Agnus Dei

The only songs from the Blaze Bayley era with which I am familiar (at this moment) are The Clansman and Virus, both of which I think are great songs.

Why do you dislike The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls? I am very fond of both of those albums, as I regard them to be some of the band's best since the return of Bruce Dickinson.

8. Uncle Acid Well-Known Member

I just don't think the songwriting is any good at all, not do I find Bruce's performance to be very good and the productions on both albums are really sterile and boring.

I also think all the three last albums are way too long and should've been cut 25-30 minutes. They don't have too many songs or anything, but the majority of songs are 3-5 minutes too long and just drags and drags without actually going anywhere. The Book of Souls I'd say is 50 minutes too long. And again it's not because of the amount of songs, but because every single song just drags and drags without any proper purpose. They're long for the sake of being long, and nothing more IMO.

9. Larcher Shaka Brah!

England
    They're great, definitely one of the first bands I'd recommend someone to listen to if they were getting into metal.

Very fast paced, nothing too abrasive or dark, and a lot of fun.