1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice

Iruka as a Traitor or Spy?

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by Jin-E, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Jin-E

Recently, i have a suspicion that he isnt as innocent as he might seem. So i think it might be a plausible possibility that he is either an Akatsuki spy or a Root secret agent. What possible arguements could support this? Think of a few points.

The level of suprise
    - It would IMO be pretty logical if he indeed was hiding something fishy. A spy is someone whos supposed to be out of suspicion. And quite frankly, who would ever suspect that the kindhearted, unnoticable Academy teacher would ever hide a more sinister secret? Just because he is a Chuunin doesnt necessarilly disqualify him from being one since

1. He could be hiding his true potensial
    2. Oro didnt use some powerful Jounin as his head spy in Konoha but Kabuto(even though he officially still was a Genin).

In other words, the less threath you pose by your outside apparence, the less likely it is that someone would suspect foul play.

The Plot
    - It would also be a monumental character development for Naruto if his former teacher and mentor would betray the village he loves. That would force Naruto to acknowledge that not everyone is to be trusted blindly and therefore prevent him from becoming to gullible to people who just wants to exploit him, something he has to learn if he is ever going to be Hokage.

The idea that the first person who recognized Naruto would later turn on him would also bolster his similarity with Gaara since he had the same experience with Yashamaru.

It could also serve as a plot for Naruto to be captured by the Akatsuki since Iruka could just put sedatives in his Ramen and smuggle him out of the village.

His position
    - When we think of what position Iruka occupies it would be perfect for him to be a spy or a infiltrator from some of Konoha's enemies. In the Academy he can view all students and measure their strength. He could also cunningly try to extract some vital information from the kids(since some come from very influential families) and also report to whoever he is working for if he spots any unusual talents that can be contacted later. Of course, he would bond with these children and make them put their trust in him, thus later manipulate them.

So Iruka is in a excellent position both when it comes to information gathering and the recruitment.

His popularity
    - Has he ever been outside the top 5 in the character polls? Maybe this fact might push Kishi to give him a more central role in the story.

The question is, why would he do so? Thats not easy to answer. He could still hold some grudge against Naruto and the village because he might feel that his parents sacrifice against the Kyuubi was little appreciated and that they didnt gave him any credit for it. Perhaps he is bitter? Year after year in a dead-end job as a Academy Teacher might make him believe that the village doesnt care about him or his abilities since he hasnt been promoted or sent to any important missions.

I dont know if this would come true, but it would be very interesting to see the effects on Naruto's personality if this scenario becomes reality.

Tags:
  2. DeepThought

What if Konohamaru was a Russain Spy?

3. Jin-E

4. caius

It is certainly an interesting idea. The impact on Naruto would be quite interesting to see if it did happen.

5. PROTESTtheHERO

its a good theory,, unlikely since its all abstract evidence,, but hey, its anime, shit happens

6. RupertGriffin

I'm sorry. Iruka is just way too small a character. We'll never see him involved directly with the plot again.

7. Jh1stgen

Too sophisicated for such a character like Iruka

8. FrostXian

9. Jin-E

Well, he is certainly not a "small character" for Naruto who incidently is the main character of the show. And never say never. Who would have guessed that Asuma suddenly would get the spotlight like he has now?

I know most of the points are pretty abstract. But hey, thats what the Theory section are for.

10. Thepimpinest

dude u got it all wrong. Iruka is Naruto's son. *sarcasm*:amuse

12. Angel Haiku

That's a real good theory!The reasons are all very true and you just have to wonder "Is Iruka a spy?'' It's even more believable if he worked with the Akatsuki.

13. Shizor

Iruka's only in the top 12 most popular characters because in japan there is a shitload of KakashiXIruka fangirls.

Kishi's only going to give Iruka a more prominent role if it's for buttsexing Kakashi.

14. Shadow Slayer

I like that you spent alot of time into your theory, but I am going to make this short as possible as to my feelings on wether it will happen.

My answer:

No

15. Beau Logan

I honestly think that would be a HUGE mistake for Kishi to make.

If (and this is the world's largest if) Iruka became a traitor it would more then likely mess up Naruto more then when Sasuke left thus flinging the whole 'character development' thing quite a few steps back for our beloved protagonist.

16. Ghost05

Interesting theories...but it would bring Naruto into a whole different dimension if it would happen. Not to mention, Kishi would probably lose the fanbase of all the Iruka lovers. One Konoha traitor (Sasuke), is enough. Plus, Kishi hasn't even come remotely close to hinting this as a possiblity.

Interesting theory, but it won't happen :-)

17. Jin-E

Lol.

Seriously, i will never in my life understand why people go so crazy about this pairing.

18. BowL

I must admit, it would throw a HUGE wrench in the workings of Naruto's emotions, and possibly make a GREAT arc, but still, this seems way to unrealistic. I mean since the begining Iruka has been the nice guy, and nobody is THAT good of an actor. Remember, the latest arc in the anime was just that, in the anime, not the manga. So the old man was not really in the storyline.

19. Jin-E

Yeah, but Naruto & co was pretty shocked when "Mister Nice and Friendly" himself-Kabuto-turned out to be a spy for Oro.

BTW i dont watch the Anime. So if the latest filler arc have anything to do with my theory its purely coincidental.

20. Ghost05

Yeah but Kabuto didn't have as much of an influence on Naruto than Iruka. I mean, Iruka was the first person to actually acknowledge him, and Naruto takes him on as a father. If something like that would happen, Naruto would clearly go berserk, and possibly lose it.

21. Tazmo?

I agree with this part. The rest could be possible.

22. Naruko Supporting Staff

It might have an impact but it has to be plausible too and unlike Kabuto, Iruka playing nice guy but being Jerk-Man just isn't plausible. With Kabuto , Kishimoto threw hints at us that something was up with him right from the beginning. The odd still/aside shots where he didn't have Mr Happy Face but rather Mr Calculating going on. And it only got worse from there untli it was revealed he is (at the least) a henchman for Orochimaru (plus whatever else Kabuto is up to).

Iruka has never been shown as anything but a mom-figure for Naruto. And I say mom figure cause really he mother-hens Naruto more than , say, Tsunade who some like to refer to as his surrogate mom. Tsunade at least trusts Naruto to go out and fight and be exposed to danger. She cares about him but she has faith in him. Iruka is just a dithering, hand wringing worry wort (but I love him).

Unless Kishi starts showing hints of Iruka doing and being something/somewhere else I don't think we'll see any ugly surprises from him.

WITH one exception - the AL might happen across Iruka and use him as an unwilling plant in Konoha (puppet style) like he did with those poor suckers in Sunagakure. If someone put Iruka under a genjutsu against his will and used him to lure Naruto that would be effective and a wicked ugly surprise for Naruto, particularly if it was done in a way that kept Naruto from realizing it was a genjutsu. On the other hand it would be out of character for Naruto to lose faith in or give up on Iruka too. But that would be the only circumstance I would see Iruka making a move to hurt Naruto in any way shape or form.

23. Tyrannos

Now you are on to something, Cynycyl.

Using Iruka as Naruto's weakspot has tons of potential. Having him give up without a fight or else Iruka gets hurt. And I could see something similar if by chance the Akatsuki woman is Naruto's mother, or at least saying she is.

Getting Naruto confused, and giving a chance for Sakura actually saving Naruto.

24. Jin-E

You have many good points and there arent a whole lot of cannon evidence for my theory. My theory mainly expunded upon how well fitting Iruka's position is for someone to be a traitor/spy when it comes to his work, tragic past, ninja rank and his close relation to Naruto.

And an important note. Even assume my scenario is correct, i didnt state any time line for when this supposed "change of hearts" occoured. So in theory, while Naruto was away training with Jiraiya during the two year break, Iruka could have been approached by a disguised member of the Akatsuki or some internal enemies(Roots) and been told lies about Naruto on how big a danger he is to the village(which the old geezers meeting with Tsunade believed). So for all we know he could have been a Nice guy in part 1 but later become someone opposed to the current Hokage leadership(and in essence to Naruto himself because of his loyalty and sorta "friendship" with the Hokage)

And even if Iruka has parental feelings for Naruto, one would believe that he would prioritize what he thinks is in the best interest of his village(if he is in Roots and not a Akatsuki delivery boy).

And your scenario is interesting but unlikely. It wasnt the AL which used the technique but Sasori. And even i doubt he will be brought back to life:amuse

Needless to say, this is just my speculations.

25. Mokorr

you people have to start thinking outside the box"

THE BOX THE BOX!

dont underestimate the box.

Fools.