1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Voting is live in the KCC Short Story Contest!
    Voting threads can be found here and here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is autism a disorder?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Salvete, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Salvete

Is autism a disorder to be cured? I've met some autistic people who say that autism isn't abnormal or that they aren't defective. Why does autism need to be cured at all? Homosexuality was once designated as a mental illness. Now it's generally thought to be tied to genetics. Is trying to cure autism the same as trying to cure homosexuality?

Tags:
  2. Giovanni Rild

I have Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism. The so-called experts call it a disorder because Aspies don't seek social interaction.

Diagnostic Criteria For 299.80 Asperger's Disorder
    A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
    2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
    3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
    4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
    2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
    3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
    4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia

3. BeansyMcPork

The comparison is apples and oranges. There are also numerous different types of autism. Most of the time it is genetic. No one is trying to "cure" most autistic people. I've heard that it's suspected that some forms of autism are the result of mercury poisoning as a child or something like that. This can be treated with something called chelation, a process to remove heavy metals from one's system by binding them to other various types of chemicals that can act as "chelating agents." (google/wiki it for a more detailed explanation).

Anyway, most autistic people are mentally retarded, many severely. There are also high-functioning autistic people who sometimes very high IQs, but still lack certain abilities that are instinctive in most humans. Most people can instinctively read someone's emotions based on the expression on their face. Ethnographic studies across the globe have determined that this is not a culturally learned behaviour, it is innate. Autistic people do not have this ability, or any number of other communicative instincts that most people don't even think about.

Higher functioning autistics, including people with aspergers' syndrome, often are amazingly good at retaining information though, and there are a number that become scientists and engineers. These people still usually have the same neurologically social impairments, which can still sometimes be quite severe sometimes. In these cases I would call autism a tradeoff.

More commonly though it is most definitely an impairment (and thus a "disorder"), often a severe one, that brings a lot more bad than good.

Genetic autism is not "curable." At best it can be somewhat treatable.

EDIT: Illuminati Gate, I sincerely was not trying to denigrate or insult people with asperger's syndrome, or anyone with autism. I was just trying my best to respond to the question the original poster posed, and you had not posted yet when I began writing this. Since you are someone who has asperger's syndrome I will assume you're knowledge of asperger's syndrome is far more comprehensive than mine, and so on the subject of higher-functioning autistics I will defer to you.

4. Tora Boys and Ino Girls

I too have Aspergers, and I have to agree it is a disorder, due to the fact it does cripple you in a mental function that just about everyone else has at a normal level and expects you to have.

Social instincts that regular people have Aspies don't, and have to learn manually in a way that makes sense to us. Because of this, we, or at very least I would often find myself left behind when I was part of a group with kids my age, and always seemed to be the last to know everything. The importance of visiting, small talk, hailing friends and aquaintances with a "Wussup?", and other basic social interactions that my peer had instinctively so that they never had to think about it, that I could only understand through learning in much the same way one would learn to use a computer or a foreign language.

However, as BeansyMcPork noted, Aspies tend to be naturals at detail-oriented trades such as computer programming, and very smart in general. It's just that we don't make the best social butterflies, and are often outsiders in a world that revolves so much around social sensations that we don't have. We fit in just fine in web forums, MMORPGs, intellectual discussions, and tabletop roleplaying sessions, but since we can't see the point in all the inane hollaring on MTV Live broadcasts, its "Oh, cruel world! Will this poor cursed, autistic child ever know what it is to laugh, to live, to loooovvee?" by mainstream society.

5. Sub-Zero

OF COURSE ITS A DISORDER!!! Homosexuality is not a disorder! You cant cure, nor shood u, homosexuality.

6. Toby

If all autistic conditions were categorised other than just autism, then it would still be unlikely to cure. Seeing as there are various forms of autism one cannot cure one without the other, only treat them.

So no. You cannot cure autism, and if that is your definition of a disorder then autism is of course not a disorder.

7. Giovanni Rild

People placed it as a disorder because people with austism think differently than others.

8. JokerDemon

my brother has autism, but he does not have a disorder. Being autistic means you don't comminicate and interact well with others, but does that mean that every antisocial has a disorder?

People only call it a disorder because it is different than what they think is normal. That's why they thought homosexuality was a disoder, because they labeled it as different, therefore being wrong.

The human race is a bit ignorant.

9. Giovanni Rild

The biggest understatement of the millenium

10. Speedycat

No offense to anyone with autism, but it is a disturbance in mental health and functions. It stunts mental growth and communication abilities. Also, homosexuality isn't a disorder. It's more of personality trait or preferance. It's not actually a defect within the gay person's brain, which autism is. Also, being antisocial is a personality disorder. I think there's something wrong with you if you can kill somebody without feeling the least bit bad.

11. Giovanni Rild

All Psychology is just a guessing game. Lusting for the same sex was considered a disorder at once, some still do.

If a group of head doctors declare that wearing a pink sock on the left foot and wearing a polka-dotted sock on the right foot is a mental illness, then it becomes one.

Basically anything out of the normal is considered a disorder. It's bias bullshit at the very least.

Psychology is Individualism's worst enemy.

Are you seriously trying to say antisocial = Killer?

12. makeoutparadise

Catdank Faction:

:amazed :nuts I Have it to!!!!!!!!!!!! I also Have O.C.D.
    :laugh this is Awsome !!!!!!!! I'll remember You!

13. II_uZumaki_II

You do know that anti-social people dont exactly WANT to bother with people. Id know, I rarely like being around people and I dont like being in public much. I have a few people Ill hang around with, but thats it. Anti-social people are not going to bother killing another person. Thats like when people assume that schizophrenic people are always the most likely to kill people, that isnt true at all, Ive been told that many times by psychologists whether in books and real life that its an assumption. Rarely does that happen and if it does they are usally paranoid schizophrenic and they were afraid someone was going to kill them when that isnt really happening at all, so they do the "Ill get them before they get me first" kinda thing. They really arent aware that what theyre doing is wrong, its really sad actually. Ive known people with schizophrenia and disorders "linked" to it. And if I could have taken all that..detachment and dellusion away from them..I would.

14. wiggely

thats not what antisocial means. antisocial is a condition that some people have that makes them inable to know right or wrong or feel emotions for other people. most serial killers suffer from antisocial personalit disorder.

15. Giovanni Rild

Please STFU. You don't know what you are talking about

16. XanBcoo

Actually everything he said was true. is exactly as he described it. It's not just being shy or unable to talk to others easily, or someone who's primarily introverted.

Do your homework before you go ranting from your anti-establishment soapbox.

This is a good article that some of you "scholars" :amuse need to read. It deals with the scale of judging what normal behavior is. I think you'll find it's not as biased as you've lead yourself to believe.

17. Giovanni Rild

You are purposely mixing up two different diagnosis together. That diagnosis has jack shit to do with Autism and Asperger's. Sell it to somebody else

18. XanBcoo

I'm perfectly aware that Antisocial disorder has nothing to do with Autism. I was not "mixing" the two diagnoses. It was just a side note. I was directly replying to you telling wiggley to "stfu". My point was that he was right about Antisocial disorder and you were wrong to call him out on it.

Also, good job ignoring the second half of my post. The part that actually relates to the topic. Since you seem so insistent on calling Psychology a "guessing game" and think that obvious mental and social disorders are just randomly diagnosed, I would have thought that link would enlighten you somewhat.

I guess not.

19. Giovanni Rild

Read up. Head doctors are far from infallible

20. XanBcoo

lol...what is it you want me to pick out of that article? Is it this:
    'Cause, y'know...that'd pretty much destroy your entire angle on the argument...:D

The only other relevant information in that link was the paragraph about standards. So you're telling me that Psychologists are "not infallable" because they often disagree with eachother?? That doesn't make them wrong, buddy. It's a common thing among people of positions to disagree with their peers and colleagues. Everyone has different ideas about what's better or worse treatment. If you don't like what your psychiatrist said, go to another one. Get a second opinion.

Also, I'm not saying Psychologists are right regardless of what they say. But I'm also not saying they're just randomly diagnosing mental and social illnesses, which is what you seem to be saying. They have standards by which they practice their profession. However, naturally some professionals disagree with eachother.

This paragraph seems to clear things up even further:
    What's your point again?

21. II_uZumaki_II

Actually they do know the difference between right and wrong. But simply put, they just dont give a shit that what theyre doing is wrong.

Though Ill admit I was wrong in some of what I said about anti-social personality disorder. Sociopath(not psychopath)came to mind and then it all made sense.

22. Giovanni Rild

And this has nothing to do with Autism or Asperger. People with Autism or Asperger's aren't hard wired to kill people and crap like you are saying.

23. XanBcoo

Illuminati, I'm going to quote an earlier post of yours, since you seem to have no idea what anyone is talking about.
    YES.
    When taken to the extreme a person with Antisocial Disorder could become a killer. Most murderers are diagnosed with Antisocial Disorder.

It is only being brought up because you confused "Antisocial" with "socially introverted". Being socially introverted is not a disorder. Being "antisocial" IS a disorder.

You're right, none of this has anything to do with Autism. No, no one is saying someone with Autism is "wired to kill". However, Autism is also a mental disorder not to be confused with being socialy introverted. It also seems to be diagnosed using medical standards and practices.

It is not just diagnosed because that person is simply "different".

24. Giovanni Rild

For one not everyone that a social deviant is a killer. And you cannot find anything inside the body that would indicate that if someone has Autism or not.

And High fuctioning autistics and Aspergers people are just as intelligent as anyone else, if not more. If you were born that way, then there is no "disorder". You are as you are

25. XanBcoo

1. I didn't say anyone that is a social deviant is a killer. I said most killers are diagnosed with Antisocial disorder. You're defending a non-existant argument.

2. Of course Autism is not a medical/physical disorder. No one said it was. Of course you can't find anything in the body to indicate Autism. It doesn't work that way.

It is a mental/social disorder. Judged and diagnosed by standards of what is "socially healthy". It is not just randomly diagnosed to someone who doesn't talk a lot in class or doesn't have any friends.

I'm starting to think you didn't even look at that link I provided you. You're just spouting bullshit.

What the fuck? No one even brought the intelligence of an Apergers person into question! No one is saying they are less intelligent. They do have mental and social problems though. Why is it so hard for you to understand this??

You're not listening to the arguments given you. You still think I'm calling Aspergers patients stupid, and that I think every socially introverted person should be diagnosed with Autism. I'm not.

26. XanBcoo

I'm double posting, I know, but I found some information that this topic needed. I don't wanna wait around for another person to post, or perhaps let the topic die.

Recent studies say you're wrong.

In the November 2006 edition of Scientific American, an article titled "Broken Mirrors: A Theory of Autism" links the symptoms of Austim to a defect of certain neurons in the brain, nicknamed "Mirror Neurons" (so named, I assume, because they mirror the action of the observed action).

When someone, for example, reaches out for an apple, certain neurons in their brain fire. Similarly, when someone observes someone else reaching out for an apple, another set of neurons. These are the Mirror Neurons. Recent tests have shown that these Mirror Neurons consistently do not fire in the brains of Autistic children. This gives a logical and scientific explanation that can be extended to MANY of the symptoms of Autism (in general, the innability to understand the workings of other people). The findings provide compelling evidence that people with autism have dysfunctional mirror neuron systems.

These are the facts. I merely distribute them.