1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Is China the next superpower?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Master Scorpion, Nov 11, 2005.

Do you think is China will become the next superpower?

Poll closed Dec 11, 2005.
  1. Of course..China rulez!!! ^^

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. No..I don't think so..-_-

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. I don't know ^^;; I am very bad in recognasing

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

China is a big country that has the biggest population in the whole world, Many chinese ppl have migrated from China to all over the world and most products that we use are made in china

And now the olympic will be held in China, so is it a sign that China has waken up from its sleep?
    Yesterday my private driver told me if China got 1% of rich family so 1 % population of those rich people in China are 20 million of Australian population.

And we can see how much china has improved in this century...
    So they can compete with other rich countries
    using their people power and spirit, so do you agree if China will become the next superpower country? :D

Tags:
  2. Sakura Active Member

yesh!!! im chinese!!! china is the next superpower becuz itz got it all. technology. wisdom. spirit. warmth. culture. all those things. :p

3. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

Thank you friend..!!!! I am sure China is the next superpower!! this country will surpass USA hahahaa..:laugh

4. Mizura Meh

... speaking as someone who knows this subject quite well for a variety of reasons:

Q: Will China become a very big economy?
    A: Yes it will. The Chinese economy has grown tremendously, thanks among other things to its huge population.

Q: So will China become the next US or Japan, just bigger?
    A: Not anytime soon.

China has many problems right now that it has to struggle with. Yes, many products are "made in China", but they're either at the low-end of manufacturing, or in the case of high-end products (computers or tv sets), they are NOT completely made in China. They are just assembled there, chips and whatnot come from elsewhere. What's more, for all its size, remember that China's economy is still smaller than that of Germany...

There are also many structural changes that it has to overcome. Intellectual properties is a mess there, sure most people find all the pirated DVDs to be great as well as the fake Louis Vuitton bags, but international markets aren't laughing. It has to clamp down on its bad banking system that has a debt problem perhaps bigger than Japan's. The Chinese Communist party also means well for the economy imho, but clamping down on waste and corruption is simply incredibly hard in such a huge country.

China also needs to completely reorganize its working mentalities. It is said that technologically, China is like... 3 or 6 months behind the US for a number of products or something like that: when they come out in the US, in several months Chinese can download the information from the internet and copy it. The problem is beyond those three months: the Chinese society has traditionally discouraged innovation, meaning that for all their smarts in maths and science, the Chinese students don't know in the end how to make a commercial Product. This issue is slowly being adressed, but it'll take time. For entrepreneurship, there's the same problem.

And of course, there's the problem of the increasing gaps in rich and poor. The problem in the end is not the relatively wealthy 300 million urban dwellers, but the 800 million farmers who remain in abject poverty. Add to that its increasing environmental problems: pollution and water shortages, etc.

So China is rising yes, because of its share size. But its GDP per PERSON is still well below that of a developed country, because it isn't one in the first place. It has some fundamental societal problems that it has to tackle, and the problems are so deeply rooted that it will take some time. By its share size, China will become a huge economy, possibly surpassing the US in a few decades, but the rest needs fixing.

5. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Heh yeah Meh pretty much explained it throughly. China is actually pulling in enough money at the moment to be considered a wealthy country, but the thing is that the wealth is very diluted due to the population size. At the rate China's increasing (financially), it'll probably become a major power within 2 or so decades.

6. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

This is what I don't like from china, they're still love making their own cheapest products but because of this too china now become more dominant in business world!
    but for the next century china can surpass other countries.
    Because of Mao Tse-tung the past cruel dictator of china had made china started fall down from economic and became a very poor country.
    And the old chinese ppl told me the story, how americans and europeans looked down chinese people....
    Yeah..but because of the fast growing, chinese people have experience mental problem..like: stress, especially with the new generations
    yeah I know that...the gaps between rich and poor has must to be solved by chinese goverment..but it's look impossible for them when we see how big the chinese population...
    Amen for that :)

it's because I had been drunk last year...:laugh

7. Mizura Meh

Oh! The next century! Yes, by then most of the underlying problems should be fixed, but it's always difficult to predict how things will be a century from now.

In one century, I actually predict a multi-polar world, consisting of the following poles:
    - North America, led by the US
    - a more closely-knit European Union
    - Asia, led by China
    - and an emerging South America, led by Brazil if things go on the way they have

The big question mark left is Africa though, because right now, it hasn't even begun to tackly many of the problems that plague it.

8. HollowDreamer clurgy of canapotoya

I dought China will be the next superpower but theres a slight possibility that it could be but it wouldnt be anytime soon.

9. Chamcham Trigger 光翼型近接支援残酷戦闘機“エヴァッカニア・ドゥーム

Not to sway from the topic too much, but I know in a lot of ecconomic classes I took, my teachers would talk about the fact that within a century, Africa as we see it today may totally be wiped out. The articles that were given out explained alot of the obvious but was also explaining how even the land is starting to get exhausted there. Hopefully the predictions are wrong, but the way it looks in most of Africa is dying out while certain conditions are even starting to affect the richer nations within the continent.

I would find some articles to post, but that'd be swaying way too much from the subject.

10. Wing-Zero Whoa!!!

ofcourse they make everything so they probably control everything >.>

11. Megaharrison Eternal President of the Cafe Retired Staff

China by this point is still years behind the U.S. and Europe....They have a long way to go.

Also communist totalitarian governments can't maintain a healthy economy as capitalism is the one way to form these...So unless China makes reforms they can't keep up this growth (see USSR).

As for "surpassing" the U.S., China is far more dependent on U.S. trade then the U.S. is on Chinese trade...So this will be difficult for China indeed.

12. fukush Banned

Ehm, china is a superpower :)

13. CrazyMoronX Old Man

From a military standpoint, China has the potential to have the largest standing army, with over 1 billion people there. India also has over a billion people, but China still edges them out.

As far as economy goes, how the heck should I know? I'm an ignorant American.

14. Raistlin-sama Have you been naughty or nice?

Damn straight.:p

15. Woozie Active Member

You are forgetting one way to become a superpower, war.

How did US become a superpower? Through war.

Soviet Union? Same.

Germany? Bloodshed. (Although stopped by US afterwards....through war ofcourse.)

Normal person today can think war's not a possibility anymore. Wrong. And China isn't just some small country. It has the world's biggest army if you compare the numbers of troops. And China has some mineral rich areas. The outcome of war isn't always determined by the technology one country possesses. It's about how fast can you build up the tanks, the planes, the ships, the missiles. China has the biggest population and lots of factories. Productivity shouldn't be a problem. And today country's have missiles capable to be fired to another side of world. And I think China definetly possesses them too. One push of a button and the cities are ready to be inveted.

And btw, the US we know today has never been having war inside their own borders. It would be like SLAM! and citizens get dragged from heaven to hell. The US would fall to complete chaos.

I'm not a historian or anything so I can only use the history of Finland as an example. One month before Soviet Union attacked Finland no-one would have ever guessed that would happen. It was like a slam! again and Soviet tanks crossed the borderlines. Wars can't be predicted.

Now ofcourse becoming superpower might be more likely be means of economical progress and cultural achievements and all that. I just want you to take it as a possibility.

China is already, like Danii said, one kind of superpower. China has the potential.

And while at it, although the "Hal Turned Show" already gives this "false!" feeling. I would like to know if any of this is true.

Seems pretty much like American propaganda.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  16. Stealth Tomato It has big taste.

China is a superpower?

Superman: I have the power to stop bullets with my chest!
    Action Man: Oh yeah, well I have China!
    Superman: ... damn.

17. Last of the Uchihas Get your own girls, Jonas!

I do believe that China has the most potential to be the next superpower country, its only a matter of time.

18. Negative-Ion Life is BRUTAL!!

A Country, nation, whatever you have. Will never be a superpower if the people that rule it and the people that live in it dont support war. Plus, no regilion country can ever be a superpower. they might have super weapons, but that doesnt make them a superpower.

19. Aman <font color='#0000A0'>Really?</font>

I do remember my old teacher saying that China will even surpass the US in 15 years. :amuse

20. Ticking_Clock Tick... Tock... Tick...

Wake up and smell the food, their already a super power... By simply having a draft of maybe 5% of the population they would have enough man power to take asia in about 5 months. Plus chinese food restaurants are awesome (-b'.')-b

21. blacklusterseph004 ah, made you look ...

In my opinion, a superpower is a country that is able to exert influence over other countries. In this regard, China is already a superpower. Many countries economies are now based on Chinese manufacturing and there seat on the security counsel is already an indicator of their global prominance. Other countries can't just do what they like in the far east, it has to be okay with certain players, and one of those players is China.

22. Leen Peacemaker

China will be a superpower, it's just a matter of time. If we see it from the population size factor, China has a bigger population than US already. Of course mainly chinese are still illiterate or still living in suburbans and villages with hardly any electricity and books but still, I believe that one way or another, they will receive education like everyone else. By then, China will have the power to surpass any other countries.

As for economy, this is what I see in the paper. China's combined imports and exports hit US$1.148 trillion in the first 10 months of this year. Plus, China is planning to fix the currency exchange to 8 yuan for 1 US dollar just like how Malaysia fix the price to RM 3.80 (soon will be 3.60 or 3.50) to 1 US dollar instead of letting it fluctuates according to the wave. Another thing is that now China is accepted into World Trade Organization will make China an even more powerful country. We must also realise that China's economy is growing around 10% every year. For 2006, experts estimated a 8.7% rise. That's pretty much too.

Technology. I have to say that this might be the most troublesome thing for China. We do see lots of 'made in china' stuff but then again, as mizura said, they are mostly assembled in China, not actually made in China. Apart from that, some companies like Nokia and Nike will also use 'made in China' because their factories are there, but the expertises are still from Nokia and only those less important jobs are filled by Chinese. Sometimes, China also buys that 'made in China' labels from companies. This is always practiced by developing countries in order to promote their names. For example, Malaysia sells oil palm products to Sudan and let them use 'made in Sudan' label for a price.

Science. We do see how China sends 3 astronauts to space in what 2 years time? However, that doesn't mean they are already on the same par as NASA. In fact, I believe some of the technologies come from Russia. Then again, it's still a great feat to be achieved by a country torned by WW2 and communism for decades. Developments are rapid and I can forsee a bright future for these Chinese. Dont forget, since 1998 China has already planned to have it's own nuclear program. I dont know the latest news about it but I believe if this comes true, US will have to start to worry about themselves. In terms of defence system, China has equipped themselves with the latest artilleries, especially after Taipei still demands independes from Beijing.

In fact US defense secretary, Mr Rumsfeld recently went to China to discuss certain issues. This indicates that US is indeed aware of China's power and is already taking precautions. In another word, US is afraid of China's power. At least not now, but in the future.

I can go on and on but bottom line is, China will be a superpower no matter how u see it, whether u like it or not, and it's only a matter of time.

23. Ardus Sax and the City

My English professor says because of this damn Bushwhack war the US is going to lose its status as a superpower and China is going to assume its place...

24. gundamgx Capitalism Stole my Virginity

China seems to be gaining power but it's leadership seems weak. Public unrest will most likely escalate due to all the censoring. The US on the other hand is in massive debt, so much so that Japan and other countries are investing in it.

25. Master Scorpion UG's High Priest

China has the biggest military power in Asia and I doubt that China is very weak in leadership.
    Other wise country like US is more like a drop, I've seen there's a lot of problem in US nowadays
    Ex: black vs white in US, natural disaster, and the war with iraq causes America is a target for terrorist attacks.
    so I guess with those problems US would not be able to keep "the superpower" title forever...and I predict that nation could become a falling star but.............
    if US goverment leads their country in a safe way, that title still can be held :)

26. gundamgx Capitalism Stole my Virginity

Americans are finally starting to question their leadership on a large scale. I never said the US was going to stay a superpower due to its leaders. There is nothing good about Republicans in power. Of course the US is a fading star, you can compare it to Rome like so many others do. Just dont think that when China gains greater power it will remain forever. History has a tendency to repeat itself. :wink

27. TDM Toast

The next superpower, yes. I suspect they'll be a superpower in anywhere from 10-25 years. The 19th and 20th centuries really set back the Chinese.

28. Mousowi Member

I was under the assumption that they were already a superpower. They have a strong military, and a lot of influence when it comes to other countries. Also I don't think America is going to implode (fall) anytime soon. Things like that take time, unless there is some kind of uprising and the current situation is not intolerable enough for that.

As a side note I don't think we can even compare ourselves to an empire like Rome yet.

29. Last of the Uchihas Get your own girls, Jonas!

If China decides to take on the world, at least i will get to eat my favorite food everyday. :p

30. Scorpio3.14 mmmmm....pi

Im sorry, but this "questioning their leadership on a large scale" happened during the Clinton administration (even pre-impeachment) and has happened MANY times in American history, as much as you would like to think it is, its not just a Republican thing, its a politics thing. In fact its happened many times in any countries history. Im sorry but low job approvial ratings is not a sign of American downfall in the world lol

But yes, America wont last forever, neither will any country. History has shown us that many times.