1. AAB SEASON THREE

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Deku a good Main Character?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Divell, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Divell King of Trolls

I want to know what people think of him. I mean, he certainly is not your typical MC. But what do you think of him as a whole so far?

Tags:
  2. Xiammes All For One Administrator

I think he is great, probably one of my ideal ways to handle a mc. I think the only legitimate weakness as a mc is that he has developed to a point where the story doesn't need to focus on him as hard.

3. Divell King of Trolls

Yes I think he is suffering from the Ichigo effects. After a while becoming less necessary than he needs to be. But personality wise... What do you think?

4. Xiammes All For One Administrator

Personality wise Deku is interesting, he is confident and mostly has his shit together, but he is a nerd and a bit of a spaz.

For the bleach comparisons, deku has goals and aspirations, so he doesn't feel like a hunk of dead meat doing things because the plot commands him too. So he is not always less interesting then the people around him. Horikoshi is doing something right because I am enjoying the chapters without Deku around, however when Deku shows up I am way more engaged then normal.

For a HxH comparison, the series is still good without Gon or Killua in the episodes or chapters, but after a while I tend to start to lose interest, but when they do finally show up, everything is gravy. So there is that kind of impact between both HxH and BnhA despite the MC's being nothing alike.

5. Roman Chariot

France
    Catdank Faction:
    Lol he doesn't compare to Ichigo at all. Ichigo's motivations were basically nonexistent and he only did things because of plot. Deku has motivations and aspirations. The great thing about BnHA as a whole is that it does a really damned good job of making every other character known. The story is certainly being told from Deku's pov, but that just shows how Deku and the author both acknowledge that every character around him are very important, a few in particular.

I'd even argue that the development of other characters feeds into Deku's own development because as they grow stronger, it motivates Deku to also grow stronger, which means his growth doesn't happen because the plot demands it. The fact that he's not the typical shounen MC who gets through everything just through willpower or nakama is something to be admired because it has broken a tradition in shounen that has stood for at least a decade. That in itself deserves praise.

6. Haruka Katana :wow

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    I think he is okay, I like that Deku is the smart guy, and not the dumbass shounen MC so I appreciate that.

As an MC he is doing his job, but as a character he is rather dull, tho that is what MCs are to me, nothing particularly interesting to them.

Nah. Deku is the successor of OFA, he will always be necessary. Not even close to Ichigo.

I actually prefer if Gon and Killua NOT show up because there are just more interesting characters than them. Still, there is one part I like about Gon that made him stand out more than most MCs nowadays.

7. Xiammes All For One Administrator

They don't have to be the main players, I'm fine if Gon has more roles akin to Yorknew, where he isn't super involved except at critical points and just kinda does his own thing. I am just much more engaged if they are in the plot at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Superman Well-Known Member

It has all the charm of part 1 naruto. But yes...he is a little spaz.

9. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

I still think he's a bit bland in personality department but he is way better than how he was perceived at the start of the series.

He does the MC role well imo, without being overly utilised or relied on like in other shonens, so I like that aspect about him.

10. Divell King of Trolls

Yeah. He is not stupid but let's his emotions rule him from time to time.

No. I meant even if he is not the main character, or you don't like him there are plenty of others to choose from.

So he is more interesting than the others?

Not what I meant. I meant if he wasn't there the story would continue without being affected.

Meh. Many actually brake the rule of Nakama power. Bleach, FMA, HxH; is not that impressive, but actually good writhing.

Ikr, this is the type of MC I actually like. I don't mind if he is childish or hotheaded but that uses his brain to solve technical problems.

It happens many times. Which is why Jj's BA changes it from time to time.

Deku, just like Ichigo. Was simply given the opportunity to enter a new world and allow them to do what he wants. The world still roles without them.

It happens a lot. Some series have better side characters than MC.

11. Tayimus Number One

...but he ain't shit next to Ageha. Come at me, motherfuckers. :pek

12. Yak Well-Known Member

Ageha is a bit more bland though. Deku has more charm. There is a bit more character depth to him either but seeing how Psyren wasn't continued in the long run its possible the author simply didn't bother with properly developing the cast. Several characters came shot.

But I digress.

I like Deku and think he is a good MC. He is not quite so prone to fall into the many cliches that plague MCs in battle shounen series but he is not entirely immune to it, which is actually okay since breaking the mold would likely make him too much of an unrelatable oddball. I like that he is still relatively down to earth, he has no ridiculous aspirations although becoming the next symbol of peace could be called that but even then he attempts to take on that mantle in earnest and with enough humility that he doesn't look ridiculous when he is musing about where his path takes him. He's also not had a mental break down and hyperventilated yet! So that's great! :caticon

Jokes aside, it's hard to pinpoint what exactly I like about him, maybe it's the healthy mix and the balance of it all. He can be very analytical and collected but also has moments where his impulses and emotions get the better of him and so far the respective traits of his personality have always come out at the right moment and never felt really out of place to me.

Plus, I think there is also a lot of charm in how he interacts with the other characters and the world around him which wouldn't be possible if they also weren't written well and in an interesting fashion. Most of them, anyways.

13. Jossaff Well-Known Member

14. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

He is literally the only shounen main character that I've ever liked, so that's saying something.

Honestly, he's got a rather interesting spin on things. His obsession with being a hero is almost into the mental/madman range, being willing to do the most drastic things to prove himself, and his analysis of opponents in combat and adapting his fighting style to it is refreshing to see, especially since it's not being shown in a corny way like him adapting because of "instinct" or some crap like that.

He's also kinda adorable, but that can be said for almost all of the MHA cast.

15. EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY!!!

It was tough in the beginning to root for him

The first line in was about how all were not created equal
    Illustrated by the powerless Deku gettin womped against powerful bullies
    At first, I thought he'd be a powerless MC
    Rising up the ranks of a super powered society
    Gaining strength from within with hard work and guts
    The framing for a great underdog story was right there
    Go normies! Right?

But then he got OfA
    And although the training montage was nice
    The fact that he never trained beforehand
    Despite wanting to be hero for his entire life
    Was pretty offputting

You hear about how Horikoshi originally wanted him to be quirkless
    And though I had gotten over how his editor made him change direction,
    I'll always have that reservation of What Could Have Been
    And now that it looks like Mirio will go down the quirkless hero path
    The whole thing stings again, and even more so now

Add to it that he gets into UA because of a secret point system
    And then it was like, boo
    This little shit is getting everything handed to him

However, the self-destructive nature of OfA on him was pretty interesting
    His traits and personality gimmicks were also pleasant to behold
    It was so unlike the usual shonen MC gimmicks
    And yet so true to the character presented,
    I couldn't help but give him brownie points for being that type of nerd
    And his relationship with Bakugo, Ochakko and Iida were great
    But his apprenticeship to All Might what was the real draw
    Just some great characterization and relationship stuff all around

And tho he had great showings during the USJ and Sports Festival
    I wasn't truly won over by him till the summer camp madness
    It was one of my favorite showings by a shonen MC since ID-Marineford

He aint no Gintoki Sakata, Dark Schnieder, or Joseph Joestar
    But he's definitely up there in the tier below them for top Shonen MCs for me

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  16. Don King Pirate King

He's fine at all but he cried a lot but since Mirio introduce I can't help but wanting Mirio to become MC.

17. Haruka Katana :wow

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    The world needs another symbol of peace.

18. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

Deku's actually a rather interesting case in this series for a reason I just thought of today.

You know, in a lot of series, the main character is put up as this special one because he's gifted a power that's considered completely crazy and one of a kind. Like Ichigo, or Naruto, Or Spiderman, etc.

But in MHA, having a quirk isn't special at all. Everyone has a quirk, it's part of the norm. It's not like how there's a soul society where only a select number of people are part of the gotei 13, or how there's only ONE hokage. Heroes are incredibly common and heavy in numbers.

What Deku is striving for has nothing to do with whatever powers he has. He could have any quirk, but with enough training and time it can become a gem. It really falls on HIM as a person to shine and rise up and become the symbol of peace, the number one hero.

I think that's what I like about Deku and the series itself. It feels more relatable, since they made quirks a common and accepted thing. Deku's just like everyone else, and he's trying to be more than that through his actions and will, not his power.

19. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

I don't know why people think Ichigo had no motivations or that he only did what the plot demanded of him, of all shonen MC he had the most logical and relatable motivation of them all. He was also designed in universe as the ultimate weapon and was smarter than most MCs.

Personally I like Deku because he's the kind of MC that will repeatedly keep punching a villain with a broken arm. The duality between that and his normal behavior is interesting, he seems a normal kid but the level of obsession he shows here and there is impressive, constantly thinking and learning strategies and questioning everything in order to have a plan for every possible outcome. And if that fails, pure madness ensues.

If you want to compare it to Bleach, he's more like Urahara or Ishida.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  20. Sir Curlyhat Well-Known Member

He's fine. I was going to post a more favorable opinion, but after a bit of thinking i realized he never quite managed to make me root for him or be as emotionally invested as i was for a few other characters out there. For example, i can definitely remember me crying or having a huge idiotic grin on my face after reading a number of scenes involving Luffy, but with Deku that was never really quite the case. Even in the most recent chapter with his heroic entrance, for some reason instead of getting excited for what's about to happen, what happened previously felt a lot more interesting to me. Deku's apperance is just an afterthought, and i don't think it should be.

On paper he's a good MC. He's never really annoying, or a dumbass, and has many good moments through out the manga. For some reason though he never quite hits the highest notes. Like on a scale from 1 to 100, Deku's always a 70 or so, peaking in the 80's. But there are characters out there, like the previously mentioned Luffy, who might not be quite as good of an MC in your average chapter, but then also manages to score those high 90's, and deliver scenes that are absolutely memorable for me. So Deku's fine and i enjoy following his story, but he just lacks some powerful moments that other characters have managed to deliver. There's still time for him to get those though.

21. Divell King of Trolls

Which can be fulfilled by anyone at the top. Their only difference is what they strive for. Ichigo helps because he feels is his duty as someone more powerful than others, Deku wants to become a Symbol of Peace to inspire others.

22. BlueDemon Demon

23. Aphrodite Ice Queen Advisor

I like Deku but he wouldnt of been my choice as an mc. I don't prefer characters like him as mc's. If it was up to me the mc would of been Todoroki. He just fits the spot better imo and he is someone i love to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Deku x 1
    • List
  24. DarkSlayerZero Well-Known Member

Except for proper use of it's women, I'll save that for another day.

As an MC, Deku is alright. I like that he's smart. Battle wise, he's no Clare hopefully he gets there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Deku x 1
    • List
  25. Jonavity Neko

Sweden
    I really enjoy him. Good too see a MC that is smart outside off battle once in a while.

26. Linkmyboy72 Well-Known Member

Not fond of him, you don't get to see his story told through his individual actions like other heroes which is a major part of me liking a main character(he's a copy paste of All Might and generic shonen leads with given powers). The story so far gives him too much success in acquiring powers that he should have been hinted since he was born to be capable of handling, he fails to be a natural in building up to be a pro genius hero like Bakugou and Todoroki which he should have never lost too, I really never don't understand authors intention making self made geniuses like Vegeta or Hiei better than the main character only for them(the main character) to beat them sometimes, but Hoshi made Deku plain out a inferior pedigree to them with a power set he never prepared to master, which when he fought both of them in seperate time periods just makes it difficult to call him the main lead because A. Baku beats him in combat and probably technical smarts yet he's jealous of him and B. Todo's beat Deku and has to match the main leads more than any character as the story progresses.

It makes it seem to author wants to make Bakugou the main lead because he's self made and a real paragon to his generation in hero standing without inheriting a gimmick that was carried from other legends. Deku hasn't shown he's nothing besides lucky and obsessed in being Toshi's future.

I am also not fond of him losing to other characters thats not a villain. Unless it's a rematch type of situation where a hero loses because he still has to prove himself above the antagonist in everything even morals and and perspective.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  27. Dellinger Charismatic Awesome

He is well written but..Is he a good MC ? I know Horikoshi tries to push this story as Deku's story of becoming the number one hero but it just falls flat to me.MHA can work without Deku for a long period of time.Something like OP on the other hand can't work without Luffy since he is the main drive of the series and Oda has shown it unlike Deku.

28. convict He who Greets with Fire Advisor

Really don't like him. Not the worst by any means but generic and boring. This past chapter I saw his entry and had no feelings whatsoever whereas before I saw him I was going through an emotional rollercoaster. Far outshined by many side characters. But that is personal more so than objective. I have read/watched 70+ anime/manga/webtoons/manhwa and the only one in which the main character was a favorite is Vinland Saga.

29. Divell King of Trolls

Yeah, is a problem for a series when the MC gets overpowered by other side characters, just like Ichigo in at least the last Arc, (although that can be attributed to cutting the series short).

30. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

One thing I gotta admit that I like about him is how he got his power.

One of the tropes in media that irks me the most is the 'young prodigy' trope, where someone just HAS this amazing power inside of them all this time. I like seeing the uphill struggle and earning his power, and it's something that Deku has had to do in order to use it. Sure, he was gifted it by All Might, but All Might gave it to him because of his merits and heroic qualities, and even using the power has been something Deku has had to figure out all on his own using his own smarts and willpower.