1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Is it alright to be Punished for something you didn't do?

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by NecroManc3r, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Say someone stole your car and killed someone should you be punished?

or If they used your name to make prank calls and you got arrested?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2005
    Tags:
  2. Masaki

I believe that was done so whoever hacked the account wouldn't do it again. However, I believe that it is unjust.

As with the American democratic system, whoever was just banned there has the right to plead their case. However, since there would rarely be physical proof that someone did it, unless IP addresses show that a username signed on in Texas one hour, then Russia the next. They should give them a warning, tell them to change his password, and put them on a probation.

3. Ah B

If you didn't do it, of course you shouldn't be punished. Of course, there needs to be proof, or people wouldn't believe you.

Say if there was a murder scene, and the suspect said he didn't do it, when he was the only one in contact with the victim. Everyone would believe it was the suspect who did it.

You need proof to be innocent.

As for KK, I'm sure he didn't mean it. NFers joke all the time.

4. Gooba

He was very, very, guilty. He kept lying and claiming we were making up evidence. He deserved him ban, we just wanted him to shut up.

5. KK

Said user is an idiot, rightfully banned for committing several offenses. We have proof; he's been warned previously. He did it -again-. He's gone. :tem

6. Crowe

Tss, we dont really need to explain ourself... Hi's cousin spammed the whole forum a month ago or something, we banned him but when he told us it was his cousin we unbanned him and asked him to change password etc. Then a few weeks ago he acted retarded and spoiled and fake-nick repped people and got banned, after that he threated to make multiple accounts if we didnt unban him (he had 4-5 days of his ban left) and with that threat he put the nail on the coffin and got perm banned.

Anyway kill the thread?

7. KK

No; his humiliation is still fresh. Let it rot.

8. Gooba

Also, we got evidence (saw the logs) that proved he had repped spoilers way back in February, and neg repped with false signitures, which completely shut down his excuse.

That quote is so out of context it isn't even funny.

9. KK

I personally like it. :p

10. cupnoodles

seems kinda like you just wanted to whine and this was your way of getting the attention cuz no one would give a damn otherwise...

but anyways, i don't really think it's cool to take the heat for someone else, but it's one of those things you do once in a while. besides, some punishments are fun you know. last time i got sent to the dean's office for a stupid reason and when they found out, they treated me to pizza before sending me back to class.

11. Gooba

He isn't, it was him.

12. cupnoodles

i got no clue who he is. i got no clue what he did.
    i wasn't even relating that to him XD

he can be guilty of child molestation for all i care.

13. Dyroness

Thank god.

You could check some of the arguing we made in the "I like rep" and "Sakura FC" threads.
    I must say, honestly I had enough of this guy. And a bad spammer, with 2 or so weeks of membership filled of posts (no insults to the great Sayoko here; she pwns, and each of her many posts prove it :p). Of the neg reps I gave him, I still had to put a big "TROLL" as title.

Sakura lives, and Necro eats some pwncakes.
    Happy end! :whoo

*gives candy to mods/smods* :spaz

14. Toby

He`s banned now? hm, this needs some thought *slaps self* No it doesnt!

What is it Mr. Frying Pan, have I lost it?
    "Yes, the second time today, pull yourself together bitch"
    ...*sniff* okay...
    "Damn right you stoopid tit"

Can you ban me for a day, just cause I`m insane? Or because I talk with dishes?
    "If you spoke to the wok-pan I am going to punish you bad kid"
    ...help

15. HyugaHinata

Well, this is an interesting topic. It seemed interesting, even if the creator just intended to cause trouble.

Anyway, you can get blamed and punished for something you didn't do. People have had valid alibis and ended up on Death Row until new evidence was found.

Still, with things such as forum accounts and passwords, personal responsibility plays a heavy role, because they weren't supposed to give out access to their account, and they can be held responsible (due to the contract) for what other people do, and punished accordingly.

Incorrect. You are innocent until proven guilty, at least in all democracies I know of.

16. Ah B

Well...yeah..that's true. But you know what I mean. >_>

17. HyugaHinata

Sorry, I don't. When do you need evidence to be 'innocent'? Did you mean 'proven innocent', because the burden of proof is on the prosecution.

18. Potentialflip

Seeing how the Mods/Smods put it. It is a well deserved Permenant Ban. You have to be smart man. Its the internet. Just cause your hiding somewhere doesn't mean we know its you. What a sad individual.

19. zeoblade

Well sometimes it can be, you can take advantage of double jeopardy and actually committ the crime you were punished for

20. kapsi

I know, you mean people should shut up and obey whatever mods say.

21. zeoblade

Yes that system is very effective in reducing false positives because prosecution take more time and effort to not make a mistake. The other way so many criminals don't get sentenced and even bargain for a lighter offense. Like the saying goes, you do the crime you do the time. Same applies to you do the time you can do the crime.

22. pislayer

NO! because there's no justice!

23. Soluzar

While I don't agree with the principal behind the thread, I do agree that if someone else gained access to your account, sadly, it's your responsibility. Either you didn't guard your password with sufficient care, or you got haxxed. If it's the latter, you got unlucky. If the former, well, you really should have been more carefull.

24. C?k

ofcourse not, if you were punshied for a crime you did not commit it would be unfair, show the qualtity of investigation and a clear lack of jutsice

25. Gunners

Ive always wondered, if you perm ban someone, and they change their ip, would the be able to register again????

Not harshly, it depends, say you left your car in a bad area with the door open and keys in then yes you should get finned, if not for the death stupidity.

That is diffrent, but if someone used your name to prank someone, there no way you would be in trouble seeing as your voice would be diffrent.

You were banned because someone used your account, at school someone used my login to do something, i got in trouble for not logging of the computer, so yeh you should get slapped on the wrist for being careless.

26. Cthulhu-versailles

Aston cutcher on that show punked- is the way I feel NUff said! Actually no really, I agree with Souluzar