1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

3. Voting for Graphic of the Week 50 -- Contest Central Banner is live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Voting for Photograph of the Week 54 -- Landscapes is also live! Click here and here to cast your votes!

Entries for Graphic of the Week 51 -- Dragon Avatars are open! Click here to check it out!

Entries for Photograph of the Week 55 -- Freestyle are open! Click here to check it out!

-- Contest Central Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Is it Good When Your Favorite Things Are Obscure?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Mar 10, 2019.

1. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

I actually have heard of that series, but almost everyone refers to it as Kamen Rider.

Add me to that list, because I have never heard of that series before now, either; that is similar to how I have never met a single person who has heard of the death metal band Chastisement before I mention them.

2. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

See, I'm not even talking about Kamen Rider the japanese TV series. Masked Rider was a 40 episode american adaptation of Kamen Rider Black RX that aired in the mid 90's.

That's obscure.

3. Jim Normal Person

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop

4. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

That is akin to how Power Rangers is an American adaptation of Super Sentai? I did also watch Big Bad Beetleborgs and VR Troopers, both of which are further American adaptations of Japanese properties.

I have, in fact, heard of that series, as well as Wacky Races, the series from which that series was spun off.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:17 PM
  5. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Yes, in the sense that it was basically a different show just using footage from whatever Tokusatsu show was currently airing in japan.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Stunna Your huckleberry friend Retired Staff

The popularity of the things I like only starts to matter in two situations:
    1. The lack of popularity is endangering the future of the thing
    2. The mass popularity of the thing is causing the creators to pander to the dumb fans, sullying the quality of the thing for me
    Selfish as it is, I prefer the first one over the second.

7. Sunrider Angry Negro

I guess a decent example is an old series a roommate asked me to pirate called Cybersix. She was super into it and up to now is the only person I've met that's ever mentioned it.

Another example might be Gogol Bordello, a Bulgarian (?) gypsy-rock group. Their following (at least in the west) is dedicated but extremely small compared to The Pixies or something much bigger like Pearl Jam. The three whole people I've run into that follow them were legit surprised I knew who they were.

I dunno about where you grew up but from my perspective everyone knew Masked Rider, on account of that two-episode feature in Power Rangers. It just never got the love Rangers did. VR Troopers was in the same boat.

I will say it seemed hard to find anyone that knew Ultraman or Super-Human Samurai Syber Squad, probably owing to their odd time slots.

8. Tendοu Sοuji ̣

Yeah he did feature in Power Rangers, but the vast majority of people I don't think ever made the effort to see the show.

Ultraman is a good shout, pretty sure it only had like 13 episodes.

9. Atlantic Storm booze intermission Advisor

boddington is a good choice my man

10. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

I have, in fact, heard of that series, but I am not intimately familiar with it; have you ever heard of Cyber Nine (which has no conenction at all to Cyber Six)?

11. Sunrider Angry Negro

12. Nep Nep Bedpost-Kun

Cyber 6... Cyber 9...

!

Cyber....... 69

13. Sunrider Angry Negro

I'd watch that pr0n.

14. SoulFire! Venerable Sage Moderator

One of my favorite obscure things is searching for mythical beings--and guess what!! I found one!! An actual Leprechaun and his gold!! Here he is:

Oops! Deku is plenty green, but not at all Irish! Here's the Real Thing:

Now you've found him, too!!

15. DemonDragonJ Edgelord

Actually, the proper spelling of the second series is "Xyber 9;" I had forgotten that until I looked it up.