1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Is Naruto too overrated?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Iruka-Senpai, Nov 25, 2005.

Is Naruto Overrated

1. Well...yeah..

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. Maybe a little

12 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. Not Really

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. F%@K NO!!!

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Iruka-Senpai

Does anyone find it annoying that almost every anime fan is into Naruto? First, we had a bunch over-zealous nerds getting into the subs thinking they were better than everyonelse. Now, we have these annoying dub-nerds who act like they know everything, giving dubbed anime a bad rep, and making other dub-fans who aren't dorks look like one because they like Naruto. I like the dub and I will always like Naruto but it seems like Naruto has become too popular. I can't wait until like three years from now when it isn't a fad anymore like DBZ.

Tags:
  2. Chi

In my town i'm probably the only one who watches Naruto, so it's good :)
    On the other hand there is noone to discuss episode with. But i got forum anyway :)

And for stupid posts... I just ignore them. I like Naruto and that's all what matters to mee.

3. Keyser S?ze

yeah the posts don't really matter to me. there's always someone who you will disagree with. however, naruto is getting really popular, i don't find it surprising though since they brought it to america. naruto was already gaining popularity without it being on toonami and ytv and stuff.

4. Vespertine

Overrated means giving too much credit where it doesn't deserve. Although something can be both popular and overrated, I don't find Naruto to be. I'm glad that the series is well-liked by so many, otherwise we wouldn't have large active forums like this, the numerous fansites in which we get info and media, or enough seeds to download new eps from, etc.

5. Aman

6. Keyser S?ze

well my vote is for f*** no, why cause it's awesome! the fact that it's gaining popularity doesn't mean it's over rated. it's probably under rated lol.

7. Code

Heh... Naruto is like the most overrated anime/manga I can really think of at the moment...

8. sebasbostelaar

It definitly isn't, but the filler episodes suck a little (come on man, 20 fillers or something like that). Therefore I think the manga is a little bit better, but the music and action in the anime's beat that!

Greetings

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  9. Keyser S?ze

10. Code

I've just come across too many "Naruto is the bestest anime evar."(with much worse spelling and sentence structure...) comments. A lot of times, by people who don't watch much anime or that's their only subbed anime they've seen and whatnot. Well I personally don't hold it in nearly as high a regard as the other "overrated series" I come across.

11. Woozie

Well kinda, because where I live, if I mention word "anime" somewhere the first thing in everyone's mind is Naruto, and well, everyone hates Naruto. So they won't even try to test other animes that would suit them much better too.

12. Gene

It's a little overrated. Naruto is a very good anime/manga, but it's not the best.

13. Keyser S?ze

i agree about the sentence structure and spelling part, but you're going to have those type of fans for every anime. I don't think it's over rated because the story is pretty good, better than dbz and alike imo. i think the characters are unique and relatable to most people out there, i guess we just have a difference of opinion.

edit* i'm not counting the fillers. the fillers suck.

14. beud4500

Well not alot of people I know like naruto, so im guessing its not overrated. it is overrated however if its really really popular where you are. and they dont realize how naruto ties with many other animes out there.

15. Keyser S?ze

well i don't know a lot of anime watchers in my area (ottawa canada if you don't know), but those who do watch it find it pretty good.

16. Amatsu

That I disagree with... mainly because I feel that title goes to Cowboy Bebop.

No though I don't think it's overrated... very popular maybe but there's no reason for it to be overrated. It's quite a good series for what it is. So it's not any surprise that a lot of people love the series.

17. UnnamedShinobi

Yeah I think it's a bit overrated but it's still a very good anime.

18. Ulquiorra Schiffer

Naruto isn't really overrated but it is a little too popular for my taste.... I liked Naruto alot more when the fanbase was just us onliners that downloaded the raw and subed versions. I don't think that it's horrible to have a large fanbase I just don't want Naruto to share the same fate as Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh!. I think I'm going to stick to it thought. Not much of a reason to quit yet. Minus the lack of Sasuke and Itachi. I've been reading/watching Bleach alot so I think I'm going to stick to that...
    But back on topic....I think that there are plenty of other Animes that deserve to be called overrated...One Piece is my personal pick. But, like I said that's just me.

19. Kyuubi Naruto

There's dub nerds? Can you show me some so I can prove them wrong? :laugh

Really, I think its great. However overrated? It depends on where you are.

20. Spidey

Yeah I agree that it depends where you are/look. For me, I come across much more people who say it sucks and it's not as good as the hype. So for me, I find it underrated sometimes.

21. Tsuuga

Why do you care what other people think? If the show/manga is good, then it's good, and you can enjoy it based on its own merits according to what you like. What other people think about something like Naruto shouldn't affect you at all.

22. Raistlin-sama

Lets keep it simple. Yes Naruto is overrated - a lot. That doesn't mean that it's not enjoyable, but it is most definitely not as good as many fans make it out to be. And considering how many fans (with these opinions) there are, that is the definition of overrated.

I can easily name 20 animes at the top of my head, that is better, yet so many people list Naruto as one of their favorites.... That is of course subjective as is everything that have to do with taste. The show is also sometimes "underrated" by people who are tired of others overrating it, and therefore makes it out to be badder then it is. This is of course the case with all overrated anime (Dragonball being a good example: Because so many (unknowledgeable persons) think it's the greatest thing ever, some people end up giving it to much negative critique, that it does not deserve)

As for the guy who said that Bleach is more overrated, I'll say that it is about the same as Naruto, which means that it is quite overrated...

23. hakke

overrated? maybe. But that's because its really good... its the evolution of what shounen manga is right now...

Popular? And its gonna get worse, fuck the elitists. Everyone should get to see and like Naruto as they see fit.

Bleach on the other hand, is a step back to DBZ, yet many are "OMG BLOOD ITS SO MUCH COOLER THAN NAROTU"... Bleach is entertaining, but pales in contrast with Naruto's storytelling and everything is resolved with power. Bleach is overrated.

24. BattousaiMS

Not really, amost all dubbed Anime get bad reputation from subtitled viewing fans, you are just noticeing this in Naruto because this is Naruto forums and well if they gonna complain about something it will most likely be on Naruto. The reason why most of us bash the dubbs is because of cut outs of violence, blood, or bad words that butcher the anime it self. It's like watching a action flick involes lots of blood spiling and killing but without the blood in it or even the killings. Another thing most hate is that the dubbers are usually bad voice actors compared to the original VAs, lack of emotions, the sound of the voice and other things similiar to the situation is a must to get a kick out of the anime. Like the Naruto dub, Zabuza's voice is really well done and so it Haku's that makes them much more interesting, but comparing to them Naruto and Sakura's ones suck. So it makes Naruto and Sakura look worst then they should have been thought as.

Naruto will be popular since it's the only ninja series that is going on the ninja theme with a long story. All other animes apart one or two have ninjas's on the background but not as the main characters and if they do, they are very short series. Compared to them the ninja game industry is much well known (like Tenchu and Ninja Gaiden), so yes it will be popular since it is unique on it's storyline.

As far as the overrated factor goes it depends of the fans, some do overrate it but others like me tends to take the best of it, like the storyline, specialties and that character developpments.

25. Raistlin-sama

Both Naruto and Bleach is overrated. Narutofans should get over this fact (although if they did, it would not be overrated any more...). Bleach most certainly deals more in blood and pure power then Naruto, that cannot be denied. I however think it is a shallow basis to say that it is a badder show. Personally I properly like Naruto a tiny bit more, but both are equally overrated.
    Being good, and being overrated are two different entities entriely. And to call Naruto the peak of shounen, is quite the assumption, especially considering that it is not even the most popular. Granted the most pouplar is not always best, which is after all the reason for this thread. I however have a hard time seeing, how Naruto should be so vastly superior to it's competitors like Hunter X Hunter. And obviously there are also lots of shows, which are not generic shounen that is better, although I will keep those out of the equation.

Also don't get me wrong, I enjoy shounen anime greatly, but objectively it cannot be said to be the best anime ever, which it in my opinion most definitely isn't either, although it is not as bad as some people seem to think (well as I said, I enjoy it).

This statement can obviously not be debated, since everyone is allowed to see whatever he/she wants... and I doubt anyone here believes anything else.

I didn't mean to particularly attack your statements, I just decided to use them as a example of the opinions that I am arguing against.

26. NinjaJedi007

I wouldn't really want to say it's overrated. I enjoy it and others do as well but it does suck that pretty much everyone watches Naruto now. It feels like people are watching it just b/c other people are.

27. Lord Yu

I'm just a squatter Naruto has never really been my favorite. It was my favorite in shonen jump sure. But its greatly overrated.

28. Megaharrison Retired Staff

Just because a series is popular doesn't somehow make it a sin to watch it...

Anyway the only reason why Naruto does not have great respect in the upper anime community is because:

A.)It's shonen
    B.)It's popular

A lot of people think they're "cool" if they defy the majority.

Both Bleach and Naruto are underated, people think that just because a series is a Shonen title that it is inferior to all other anime...This goes back to the days of DBZ where those "cool" people defied the majority by bashing it.

29. Code

C.) It's possibly not the greatest anime out there....

I believe it's still "cool" to bash Dragonball Z even though the majority are doing it. As you can see on this forums. Simply look at how the tempers rise as you compared Naruto to Dragonball Z.

I kind of find it odd how people automatically label Naruto a better show than something else that's more action-oriented, say like Bleach. Simply because it has "character development"(which is defined on NF by someone changing...) and storyline (which isn't that much different from your average Shounen) and stuff like that. They fail to realize that just having that doesn't automatically make something better and that not everyone only wants to see a show about a loud unstealthy hyperactive orange ninja beating up people to make them love him as he spreads his beliefs throughout the world, be it a old hag from the Sand or an androgynous orphan and his murder partner from the Mist (heck, it could eaisliy be turned into a religious show... just make it so that some religious figure was sealed inside of him... and that gives him power...) Some people may enjoy action more entertainment and enjoyment may be why some watch anime and manga. Not for "character development" and what not. By posssesing or not possesing those traits, it doesn't make an anime/manga automatically better or worse. It still comes down to a matter of preference. But some people seem to not realize that what they believe is a "great story" and "character development" triumphs anything that has "great action" or "great comedy" and so on is not a fact, but it's rather a matter of preference.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  30. Keyser S?ze

lol, it's safe to say that the site is evenly divided on this issue. lol. i guess it really does depend on where you are.